Author Topic: Would some one Explain to me what is what here!  (Read 6155 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Would some one Explain to me what is what here!
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:18:05 AM »
Morin Pards,
 In plain simple english I can understand, what is the difference between a Creedmorre Tang site and a Viener Tang sight???
This is bugging me to death! And also, Soule Tange site, isn't thatthe name of the designer of a Creedmore sight  ??? ::) ??? ::) ???
Please help!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Would some one Explain to me what is what here!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 11:35:33 AM »
A Creedmore one is often called a long range one and can be set to 1000 yards or more, some verniers are not long enough, the Soule has several sizes of eye holes in them and you choose the one suited for light conditions.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:16:12 PM »
So they are basicly the same thing!
Thank you a bunch. greg
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:14:04 PM »

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 03:52:55 PM »
A Creedmore one is often called a long range one and can be set to 1000 yards or more, some verniers are not long enough, the Soule has several sizes of eye holes in them and you choose the one suited for light conditions.

Actually it's the Hadley Eye Cup (and variations of it) that has the variable sized aperture holes in it. 

Soule style Tang Sights are Vernier style sights, but not all Vernier style sights are Soules.  There are different Windage traversing mechanisms.

On the Soule the entire staff moves left or right.  On the earlier Sharps style the staff stays stationary and the windage adjustment (it may or may not have vernier scales on it) is mounted on the Carriage.

It's also significant to note that some sights have marked scales on them that AREN'T Verniers.  The Vernier is a scale where the individual increments are again divided into 10ths by a more precise scale that require that 2 sets of fine lines be aligned where only 1 pair of  oposing lines in the fine scale line up at the same time.

Here's a not very clear view of a Long Range Soule Sight with a Hadley Eye Cup attached.  (It's clickable to enlarge)

This could be considered a "Creedmoor Sight"

Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »
So they are basicly the same thing!
Thank you a bunch. greg

Maybe, but not necessarily.

The Vernier Sights or even Soule Vernier Sights can also be had in "Mid-Range" and even "Short-Range" with shorter staffs.

The matches that were held at Creed's Moor (Creedmoor) Range on Long Island, NY were 1,000 yard matches.  So just because a sight may be a Vernier Sight or a Soule Vernier Sight doesn't mean it has adjustments that will reach 1,000 yards.

Often the name "Creedmoor" is misused by vendors offering products most notably rifles.

You can find "Creedmoor" Sharps '74 rifles offered that have Double Set Triggers.

In actuality, such an offering isn't a true replica of a rifle that would be used at the Creedmoor Matches as the rules stated that those rifles could only have a SINGLE Trigger. ;)
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:11:53 PM »
I am , much great full for your answers, I have learned a lot!
Thanks ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:30:14 AM »
I am , much great full for your answers, I have learned a lot!
Thanks ACE

Ace,

Here's an idea for you that will give you a feeling for what's available...

Go to Google and type in "Montana Vintage Arms sights"

This will give you MVA's website where you can look at a pretty impressive array of both "Sharps" sights as well as MVA's version of "Soule" sights.

Then go back to Google and type in "Axtel-Riflesmith" and you can go to the section on sights and then on to Sharps sights (and others) and see what are probably the most accurate reproductions of the original sights for both Sharps, Remingtons and Winchesters.

The MVA are some of the most favored sights used in BPCR Silouette shooting today (mind you not the ONLY maker), while Axtel-Riflesmith supplies probably the most accurate reproductions of the orginal sights as were once supplied by the original rifle companies.

Hope this helps? :)
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:41:28 AM »
 :)Thanks to all for the Great help!!
Grogan, I went to MVA site and they gave great explanition of there products, and I now know the difference between the 2.
and that is what I needed. I now know that mine are the soule type!
Thanks
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 12:44:32 PM »
Just to throw my two cents into the pot, I had a set of Axtel/Riflesmith sights. The quality was great, but the windage couldn't be locked down by tightening the eye piece, as they do on the Soule sight I now use. Historical correctness versus practicality, it's something to keep in mind if you're thinking about buying. On the other hand, my Axtel was purchased in the early 1990s, so maybe they've changed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com