Author Topic: Sharps Barrel Lenght  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sharps Barrel Lenght
« on: August 11, 2008, 07:34:19 PM »
hody Pards,
 I have a question, years ago when I did a lot of Big Game Hunting and a lot of Varmit Hunting, I shot Ruger #1 with 26" barrels, allways thought that the 26 barrel just shot flatter ??? ::) Best Year I every had Hunting coyote's when fur price was good I cleared $880.00 ( very good year)
 As you all know I traded for my dream gun, but had to settle for the 28" barrel instead of the 32". It would cost to much to send it back in and have the barrel changed so I will live with what I have.
 I would like to hear from you guys that are shooting 28" and 32", or maybe the groups of you guys could give me your thoughts on the diff between the 28"-32" and what bullet you shoot! I cannot afford a $185.00 mould sorry!
 i would like hear from any and every one that has time to discuss this.
Thanks ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Sharps Barrel Lenght
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:10:28 AM »
The only real difference I can tell between my 28 and 32 inch barreled guns is the balance. Even tho one is Italian and the other CSA they both do well with the same loads, and chronograph comparisons don't show that big of a difference.
 The bullet I shoot the most is the RCBS 82084, it drops at .459 and 527 grs from 20-1 and has produced some outstanding accuracy to 1000 yds, and carries more than enough lube to keep the fowling manageable .
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »
 :)Ranch13 Thank you,
I am great full for any and all the help I can get :) I have another question and I hope you don't mind answering it, I have heard of the 22 cal. liners that you can buy for your Sharps and shott 22's just to get the feel of the gun ect., and it removes when you want ect. Does it hurt the riflings, and do you know where i can look online at this inserts? i did a search with no luck! But sometimes (a lot) my searchs are not worded right!

I would be great full for any and all help!
ACE

p.s. my nice name has nothing to do with my shooting  :o
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:18:01 AM »

Offline wwpete52

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 10:33:28 AM »
:)Ranch13 Thank you,
I am great full for any and all the help I can get :) I have another question and I hope you don't mind answering it, I have heard of the 22 cal. liners that you can buy for your Sharps and shott 22's just to get the feel of the gun ect., and it removes when you want ect. Does it hurt the riflings, and do you know where i can look online at this inserts? i did a search with no luck! But sometimes (a lot) my searchs are not worded right!

I would be great full for any and all help!
ACE

p.s. my nice name has nothing to do with my shooting  :o

Here you go Ace:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1477.html

Buffalo Arms has the .22 cal liners.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 11:24:03 AM »
 :) Thanks Bud,
 Have you ever talked to anyone that has used them? Do they harm the gun in anyway? Like I said, a friend of mine told me he had ordered one and I can't get a hold of him to see how he likes it or anything about them!! ???
 Thats what happens when there is nobody close other than him to talk to about these guns! I injoyed our Talk and if you are going to be home this weekend, let me know when would be a good time to call!!!
Thanks again!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline wwpete52

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:55:11 PM »
I don't know anyone that has used one but if Buffalo Arms sell them I'm sure that they would be ok to use.  They are real nice folks so you could give them a call.  I've called them several times about different things.
I think I'll be home most of the weekend. Call anytime.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »
 I will give you a call
Greg
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:03:55 PM »
Ace I use the crossno 22 liner in the wifes 40-65 rolling block. Great little item to have around, good for practice, and also would come in handy at a shoot where they offer 22 matches as well.

Google up Crossno's gunstocks and call and order direct from Dave hisself, same money as going thru Buffalo Arms, and probably a bunch quicker, as it'll be shipped direct to you, instead of to Baco and then on to you.
 Have heard some good things about the Shaver inserts, but have no actual experience with them.
 Ron Long used to build them to your guns specs, but not sure if he's doing it any more or not.
 Bottom line yes get a hold of one, great little items, and I doubt they'ld hurt a quality barrel.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com