Author Topic: .54 cal. Sharps at Sportsmans' Guide  (Read 12748 times)

Offline 65bsaA65

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.54 cal. Sharps at Sportsmans' Guide
« on: September 07, 2007, 06:20:58 PM »
The Sportsmans' guide website has a .54 cal. Sharps on sale (600 bucks).  This is a nice looking gun, with hooded front sight (appears to be driftable), tang-mounted long range rear sight,   color case-hardened receiver.  The wood appears---adequate.  The price is real attractive; I've been wanting one of these but can't afford the grand or so I've seen them priced at.  What the ad doesen't say is who the maker is, only that it is an Italian import.  Has anybody been  seen and handled this this particular rifle?(from this particular supplier)  I tried to get hold of someone there (by phone) to see who the manufacturer was, but didn't manage to find anyone but some airheaded clerk that couldn't come up with any info.  Any feedback would be appreciated, pards.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: .54 cal. Sharps at Sportsmans' Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 09:26:10 AM »
I believe these are NOT metallic cartridge firearms.  They use an old style paper cartridge. I have no idea who makes them.  If Sportsmans guide cant tell you who makes their guns, I would not buy it.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 10:49:55 AM »
Ok You can't afford a thousand dollar gun--- but you can afford a six hundred dollar gun. Good.
Put that six hundred dollars in a can and bury it in a safe place. In a couple of weeks, months or however long it takes save up the next four hundred or so dollars. Then dig up the six hundred dollars in the can and head for your favorite Gun supplier. And presto changeo All the green pieces of paper will be transformed into a good, reliable Sharps model firearm. ;)
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:57:37 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
Dollars to donuts it's a IAB .... they are ok  :-X ...but I shop around....
keep an eye on GunBroker & Gun Trader,
 a friend on this BB got a sweet deal on a like new cartridge Business Rifle for around $600.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline 65bsaA65

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 10:33:26 PM »
Yes, it's not a cartridge Sharps, but a loose powder or paper cartridge breechloader.  I'd like to have one of those, along with a 50/140 Sharps metallic cartridge rifle, a 45/120 Sharps, a Remington Rolling block in either 45/90 or 50 /90, one of those new Uberti forged framed factory conversions in 32-20, and a nice restored 1940 Indian 4.  If the Sprtsmans' Guide rifle turns out to be an IAB, is it worth the 600 clams?  You're right about letting the 600 grow up to be a grand, Cyrille. but I have a grand to spend.  But I need one of those 200 buck Pietta 51  .36 Navys with the Stars & Bars grips, and the Uberti Walker kit that DGW is currently on sale for 225.  All the rest of that stuff I mentioned is on my wish list.  Instead of the Indian 4, I need to rebuild my BSA; notice I put the shooting irons first.  That's what happens when an old biker gets bit with the black powder bug.  The bike used to come first.
So, Major, do you have any personal experience with the IAB?  And if so, would you wait for a reasonalbly priced cartridge rifle?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 07:53:29 AM »
Personal experience ... well yeah ! I've bought & owned a few Sharps mostly paper cartridges, handed a number as props.

IAB ... lower end , these are OK , usually European Walnut and straight grained wood to metal fit and finish is fair to good,
          not completely authentic , function is average , parts are available.. I give them a C+ only because there are better guns.

Pedersoli.... upper end , these are very nice , Both European Walnut &  American Black walnut most will have a some figure,
wood to metal is top drawer,  different models authentic , function is very good , parts are available.. I give them a A

Uberti... upper end , these are also very nice , American Black walnut most will have a some figure,
wood to metal is top drawer,  authentic , good quality , function is very good , parts are available.. I give them a A as well

Garrett...( sadly no Longer made )  but if you can find one BUY IT - upper end , these are very nice ,  American Black walnut
wood to metal is top drawer, The Cavalry Carbine is the best authentic model of any replica , function is very good , parts are if'y.. I give them a A+.   FYI , Pedersoli bought all of the manufacturing equipment and remaining stock.

Pedredi ....mid level , A little hard to find , nice guns , European Walnut,  fit & finish is good ( I think they only make Cartridge guns in 45/70 and 45 Long Colt ) give them a B.

which brings us to Shiloh & C. Sharps ....

Shiloh... upper end , costly and if you order you wait (Some up to 2 years) some longer.... American Black walnut some is very fancy ($$$)
fit & finish as expected very good.. customer service (in my experience on two guns ) nothing to brag about, which leads us to, parts
available but don't expect them in a hurry from Shiloh. Personally, for the money I think the lock on the Paper Cart. models should have the Lawrence Pellet Primer ( like the Garrett does) rather than a lump of steel simulating the profile ( except the Richmond of course ).
I give Shiloh a A because it a very nice gun....

C. Sharps ... upper end , also Costly and in many cases a wait period,  American Black walnut, fit & finish is quite good.
                  some custom models and some are very authentic. Rumors abound of the sale of the company or it's demise are whispered.
                   status symbol name and good quality.  A+

If I were looking for a shooter ( I owned two Shiloh's { Military,Burdan Rifle & a Richmond carbine} both paper cartridge)
two Garretts , one Sile ( IAB ) & one Pedersoli and handled several Uberti's and one or two C. Sharps. I also owed a number of originals a couple of 59's and some 63's  some were 90- 95% .....

I'd,  based on initial cost and experance ... go for the Pedersoli.....

there I said it ... bottom line your looking at initial cost.... you'll pay 50% more for the Pedersoli over the IAB, but you will be 100% satisfied in the long run....spend the money on the Sharps ... You can find a deal on 58 Remington or on sale somewhere most of the time.

now if you want investment... then you should a least get your money back on a Pedersoli, but the C Sharps or Shiloh might... I said might
get you a better return. Originals will bring Profit !

WOW... long winded , but there it is , one mans opinion (others may/will vary )

I forgot Armi Sport  .... Base on guns I've seen... and on both the Spencer & Colt Contract 61 Springfields, I've used and handled I give them a B ++
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 11:23:37 AM »
We should probably mention the Axtel Rifle company who makes very fine 1877 Sharps.  They may be step above Shilo & C. Sharps.

I have seen their rifles and they are very nice.  You can find their web site at http://www.riflesmith.com/

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline geo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 12:24:19 PM »
i'd hazard a guess that it's a pedersoli. i have one...real nice percussion rifle. the only caveat is that some of these italian guns have softer metal than others...something to do with the importer's individual contracts. i think pedersoli has a standard high quality. geo.

Offline 65bsaA65

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 03:43:16 PM »
Thanks for the info, gentlemen.  Early Monday I'll try calling SG again and see if I can find someone with more data.  If it turns out to be a Pedersoli, I'll jump on it.  If not, I expect I'll pass; buy the two revolvers and hold on to the rest of my cash.  Thanks for the rundown, Major; that's exactly what I was looking for.  Someone with lots of experience.

Offline Ranger RB

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 10:58:07 AM »
Taylors imports ones from Armi Sport. I have one with 30" bbl and have no complaints. 
RB

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 11:03:53 AM »
Taylors imports ones from Armi Sport. I have one with 30" bbl and have no complaints. 
RB

Is yours a cartridge or paper and ball gun?

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 03:38:40 PM »
RB

Mine is 45-70 - (I THINK) there are others, and is perhaps a B- on Major 2's scale.  Shootable, nice plain wood and fit, not wonderful, but pretty good for the money.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 06:40:29 AM »
I know the ones offered by sportsmans guide are not cartridge firearms.  They are paper and ball guns.   If that is what you are looking for then go for it. 

Offline willyboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 02:13:40 PM »
I used to re-build the clutch to my 650 BSA Thunderbolt on my kitchen table.The wife LOVED that! :P anyways TWO of my buddys got the 1859 Sharp's from SPG,and one worked GREAT.The other one wouldn't go off for love or money.Turned out when the drilled tapped and threaded the nipple in,they didn't clean out the metal shaveings.It's ok now.Dixie has the kits to make the nitrated paper cartridges up in advance.

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 10:50:22 PM »
Sometime next week I should take delivery of one the Pedersoli 1859 Sharps Carbines from Dixie.  Shiloh also has a paper cartridge kit available.  I have one of their cartridge kits on order plus some extra papers.  We'll see how Shiloh's kit is.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline willyboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 02:43:48 PM »