Author Topic: "Don't touch that dial"  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Don't touch that dial"
« on: March 10, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »

Just got an email from Mari Todd about words an phrases from times gone by.

Seeing as I'm starting work on a new story set in the Western U.S. ca 1938, it was very timely.  I have been researching this very subject so that my story will be "authentic" without losing meaning and / or understandability.  I don't mind sending the reader to the dictionary, but have found that new word, obsolete words, and phrases are often not well covered... and I don't want to make anything so vague that the reader loses interest and throw the book away.

So after I wrote back the Mari asking for more help, it occurred to me that I have one of the world's greatest resources for this sort of thing right here, so if you have a favorite or well-remembered old timey word or phrase, or even a story that would fit this need, please send it along.  Don't forget occupational, military, religious, or old family words and sayings, too.  From an era of nonsensical musical lyrics we should include them as well.

If I use it I'll be happy to credit my sources in the Acknowledgements section of the book.

Bring 'em on.

Thanks.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com