Author Topic: 1875 Remington  (Read 4541 times)

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1875 Remington
« on: April 05, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »
I will have this in my hands mid next week, but any info about it as far as possible date of manufacture and such would be great.

I am guessing maybe the early 80s ?

It has the pinched groove and post front sight which I like.  I do not think originals were case colored on the frame. Just the Hammer and gate?

Hammer looks in the white? Also the trigger guard is brass, I am sure all originals were blued steel... I may order a blued one from VTI...Price was maybe fair I think. Or I was willing to pay that anyway. LOL  Excited to get it here..Waiting stinks.

Is Uberti even making the 1875 in 44-40 anymore?

I am going to remove the sheen finish from the grips. They need a little sanding anyway to remove the marks from them.

Also do you think the timing is off some due to the scratches on the cylinder?

Anyway any input would be great..Thanks
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=474485916

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1875 Remington
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »
carbineone,

My suggestion is to leave it alone, unless you have issues with timing.
Shoot it and enjoy it for what it is.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 05:01:08 PM »
I will not mess with it if it functions great like they say..I was just jt wandering why the marks may be there. I do suspect maybe a slight timing issue. Maybe someone was just not handling it correctly..

I however am not new to working on Revolver internals if it needs to be. I have worked on many 1858 copys and originals and other antique original and repro Revolvers in my 35 years of Firearms collecting..It is my first 1875 Model though.. Thanks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:25:33 AM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 05:11:01 PM »
carbineone,

I can't begin to say.
Once you get the revolver, perhaps you can tell us. There are folks here that can offer you help, if you have a problem.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 05:17:29 PM »
I am curious about something else. I only own Older Uberti copys, most made around pre 1990 or so.  What is the consensus on Quality as far as older VS recent made ones.  I am happy with the older ones I own in different Models...

Will surely let you know when it arrives...Thanks

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 05:36:30 PM »
Again... can't begin to say!
You, Sir, have to supply information.
Not only on the firearms but what it is exactly that you are looking for in each of those arms?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 06:00:02 PM »
Well I guess one simple question is as stated. Are the older 1875 Ubertis like the one I bought, better quality than then say the newer current made ones for Stoeger?

As I said I only own Ubertis from around 1990 and before. I have heard some say the quality has dropped off on the new Ubertis over all..Thanks

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »
I cannot answer your question either, because I too only have old Uberti's .  My 1875 "Outlaw" is in .45 Colt, and it too has a drag mark all the way around the cylinder, but it was from the bolt spring breaking and jamming the cylinder, so that when I tried to cycle it, I myself did the damage.  Also, if you don't bring the action into the half cock notch before you rotate the cylinder, you'll scratch it.  My brother does this, and it drives my nuts...he simply brings the hammer out of the frame but not all the way to the half cock notch, and then rotates the cylinder with his hand.  The bolt drags on the cylinder.

I bought mine new in 1975 for $275 CDN.  I have fourteen notches in the grip from 1st place matches I have won with it, in fact, I have only lost one I've entered, and it was to my brother using my Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt...my ammo!!  I love my revolver.  I replaced the front sight which was no where near as tall as the one you illustrated.  I made mine to resemble a Colt front sight, and filed it thin to match the narrow rear sight 'notch".  My revolver is a tack driver, and many times, I have shot the centre out of an ace playing card at 25 yards.  Mine likes 30 graqins of FFFg GOEX and a RNFP 255 grain bullet.

Hope you ;too enjoy your new revolver.

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
Wow they sound pretty accurate and it surely sounds like you do your part very well. I am sure it will likely shoot beyond my potential and old eyesight are capable of.

Have you done any updates to yours or have had any parts needing replacement besides the spring?
Thanks for the info..I appreciate it.

I have a pound of 3F Black here. Do you have problems keeping things rotating using the Black?  I have special procedures I use in my 58s. Is it kinda the same deal with the 75s with Black? I will be reloading for sure. But have not decided on real Black or smokeless yet..Maybe some of both.  I have a few pounds of 1F, but that would be to course I am sure, and it is for my Cannon anyway..

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 10:30:17 PM »
I am far from an expert on these fine revolvers, but I have two fairly new Ubertis, one from Taylors, the other from Cimarron. Both have functioned well for me so far, and I have no complaints. I've found that they're more accurate for point-shooting than more traditional aimed fire, but that just might be my examples. Definitely love them though. There's just something about the '75 Remingtons that make them really really cool guns.

I have found that mine are fair at best with BP. Be prepared to spread them down with something to keep the cylinder moving easily.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »
I would suggest simply have an action job done, so the parts won't wear out prematurely. That should be all that's needed. Shoot and enjoy. I have a pair or 5 1/2 inchers I've been shooting for years without any problems at all. Just simple action jobs is all done to them. Oh, and of course elk stag grips, mandatory for my CAS guns.
King Medallion

Offline carbineone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »
Thanks, everybody. I am encouraged by your praise of them. Hope I got a good one. First venture into any kind of reproduction stuff in centerfire anyway..Have repro percussions and a original 1858.

I am thinking of some custom grips. Who is a good source you fellas have used?  

And another question. I am going to be reloading. I have starline brass and 200 Gr .429 RNFP lead bullets and the only smokeless pistol powder I have right now is tightgroup..

Would those bullets suffice or do I need to look for something different..Thanks

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 05:51:55 PM »
I use .428's and Trailboss. If you can get .429's to chamber, should be ok.
King Medallion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com