Author Topic: Who makes nice leather for 1875 Remmies?  (Read 9713 times)

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Who makes nice leather for 1875 Remmies?
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:27:59 PM »
The Subject line says it all.

Who's got photos to post?
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Who makes nice leather for 1875 Remmies?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 05:25:16 PM »
Just for the hell of it, why not ask this question in the 'Leather Shop' forum?

Anyone making Colt holsters makes them for Remingtons and Smith & Wessons, as well - they're all variations on a theme.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 11:55:16 PM »
Just for the hell of it, why not ask this question in the 'Leather Shop' forum?

Anyone making Colt holsters makes them for Remingtons and Smith & Wessons, as well - they're all variations on a theme.

Scouts Out!

That's a good point (and I had considered it).

However since just about everyone here HAS Remingtons (clones etc.) I thought I'd start here.

Pretty much a captive audience and going straight to the source.

Wasn't so much interested in asking the Leathersmith's to brag on their own works; just wanted to hear from the actual shooters what they thought?
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:27:15 AM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 06:58:15 AM »
Check out JM Leather (www.jm-leather.com).  I have 2 of his rigs, and they are the best quality I've found at very reasonable prices.  It is better than one of the "big name" companies that I also have.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 10:45:15 AM »
I use the same 2 holster sets as my Colts, fit just fine.
King Medallion

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 07:39:55 AM »

Wasn't so much interested in asking the Leathersmith's to brag on their own works; just wanted to hear from the actual shooters what they thought?

A point easily overlooked:  Most if not all the folks on the leather site are shooters.  Now if I take your question and stick too it, then the answer is ... any of the U.S. makers including the folks on the leather forum.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »
Indeed...

The 'Leather Forum' guys are the ones selling their works to everyone else - and what's gonna fit a Colt will also fit pretty much everything currently available with little modification, if any.

'Back in the Day' - holsters weren't revolver-specific like they are today, nor were they pre-fitted, since Mother Nature took care of that by the generous application of 'rain'.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »
St. George and the others are spot on, most holsters that are made 19th century authentic will fit both a Colt and Remington. The only issue that ever comes into play is the web on the Remington.

As a leatherworker.......... I can make about any of my designs work with the Remington including those for the Remington New Army by allowing for the ejector rod.

As a shooter........... I don't have any specific leather for the 1875, I use the same leather for the Colt SAA.

As a leatherworker.............. even though original holsters were not molded by the maker (they got molded with the users gun in it during the first rain storm) I do use the gun the customer plans to use with the leather to form and mold the holster.

As a shooter AND a leatherworker..............with most designs it generally doesn't matter but if you want leather to fit both the Colt and Remington, order it for a Remington and it will fit both.

As a leatherworker................ the original poster request I don't brag on my own work by posting pictures.

As a shooter................... no need to post pictures as you can find a ton of pictures of my work on the leather forum or on my website.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 06:26:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies pards.

I happen to have a couple of really nice holsters for 5-1/2" Colt SAAs made by one of the most respected makers of reproduction "Old West" holsters. 

Maker's in Montana, which should give you a clue.

And...my Remington '75 replica doesn't work very well in these holsters, yep the web hangs up.

That's why I asked.

I'm sure the same fellow could make me a similar holster that would fit the Remmie just fine.  ;)

I thought maybe somebody would post a pic of something that would really catch my eye.
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
Grogan, the 5 1/2 ones are more of a problem than the 7 1/2. Yes Rick could probably make a slight variation in the style you have so it would work.

I don't know what style you are referring to but the biggest one that comes to mind is my Cheyenne patterns that are copies of original F.A.Meanea holsters. The 5 1/2 holsters won't work but the 7 1/2 ones will because they moved the top loop down farther on the holster.

I have made those patterns from copying original holsters by tracing and measuring. I'm sure Rick has done the same thing since he owns a few himself.

I have wondered what Meanea did in the day for customers with Remington revolvers, or maybe short barrel Remingtons weren't popular and the 7 1/2 holster just worked and they went with it. Either way I'm yet to see an original Meanea short barrel holster that looks like it will work with a Remington.

It is a problem on the Cheyenne styles because of the recurve in the main seam that locks the pouch in the loops, other Mexican loop styles are not as much problem with the web. Some very contoured Slim Jims can be a problem but most will work with both and any of them can be cut roomy enough to work.

When it comes to custom leather you need to decide the look you want and tell the maker and work out the details on what can be done. When I have a customer order leather for a Remington, some styles are no big deal, but some styles I have to mention the holster shape will vary a little to allow for the web.

I mostly shoot longer barrel Remingtons so most any of my 7 1/2 holsters work anyway.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 09:12:16 PM »
Authentic and reasonable - his work is second to none. www.oldpueblosaddle.com

MJJ

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 03:20:36 PM »
For what it is worth... I do not have '75 Remington's, but I do shoot Uberti '58's that were percussion converted w/ Kirst Konverters to 45LC and they are pretty close to the '75 except they have the 8" barrel.  Every shooter has his or her preference for gun leather, and I am no different.  But there are two gun leather makers out there that I would recommend highly.  The first one is Paul Combest of Reddog Leather.  His holsters are in my opine some of the best and he will make them the way you want them ..and he is very easy to work with.  He is currently making two holsters for me for the 58 Remmies and he uses a lot of patterns from the book "Packing Iron".  The other gentleman I would recommend is John Ross (Johnny) at J&M Leather.  I do not have any holsters from from J&M but I recently had him make me a Canvas Belt EXACTLY like the one that Selleck wore in the movie Crossfire Trail.  I was not disappointed in his craftsmanship.  I sent Johnny pictures extracted from the movie showing the belt and in less than 2 weeks I had the belt.  He is great to work with also.  Both Paul Combest and John Ross have very reasonable prices as compared to some of their competitors.  My opine... you cannot go wrong choosing either of these two.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »
I'll second Paul Combest, he has two of mine on his bench right now as well.  I have bought four others from him as well.

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »

Springfield Slim

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
There is no need for Cliff Fendley to brag about his work...
I have no dog in fight....though 
I'll be most happy to mention his quality for him ..
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 12:01:20 AM »

Will Gormley made these for Brad Pitt getting ready for the movie, Jesse James. I won them (and a pair of Remies) on a $10 raffle tix.

my friend Paul of RedDog Leather made these for Old Top (actually they are made for his Schofilds but I put a 75 to tale the pix

curley
these are some of my suggestions, but anyone in the leather forum are excellent workers.

I requested these "special order" from RedDog, I wanted a double cross-draw rig on a modified fair weather Christian belt for my scout persona. these fit like a glove and he took the design from a rig in Packin Iron
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com