Author Topic: just making sure; with question  (Read 327 times)

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
just making sure; with question
« on: November 19, 2023, 09:06:51 AM »
 :)I am starting this up, mainly because I'm needing to see something new (c'mon- September was the last posting).  The 200gr. lead bullet w/ the 6 grs. of titegroup shoots well in my schofields and Henry, but seems to shoot better with a thin wad.  I have not done enough shooting with these wads for a great comparison so does this replicate anybody else's findings?

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: just making sure; with question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 11:02:08 AM »
Howdy Matt,

Just to clarify for my own understanding. Are you putting a wad in your reload using smokeless powder? On the powder or right under the bullet? I've not heard of this approach before (maybe I wasn't listening or forgot).

Rev. Chase

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 08:57:07 AM »

:) Matt  ;)

Allow me to second Reverend Chase.  Are you putting a "wad" in a cartridge with Smokeless??  I am also curious, are you using this loading in a full length 45 Colt case??

I ask, because 6Gr Tightgroup does not take up much volume in a 45 Colt or 45 Schofield case.  While not normally position sensitive, that may be a bit too much volume for good reliable combustion.  Would appear you may be trying to keep the powder in the base of the cartridge and more "on" the Primer???

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:47:31 AM »

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 09:19:06 AM »
Howdy again,

The reason I originally asked the question is that I had a concern which I did not express. I seem to remember (I know, amazing) that a wad or some solid plug in a smokeless load can cause a problem unlike light fluffy kapok. The problem as I remember it is that the wad/plug if it is not butted up against the bullet can hit the bullet after ignition and cause the bullet to act an obstruction possibly "ringing" the chamber.

I honestly don't know for sure that this is the case; however "as an abundance of caution" I decided to mention it. I'm sure there are far more expert commenters here who can confirm or debunk my less that flawless memory.

Good luck,
Rev. Chase

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 09:21:38 AM »
No, I'm using the 45 schofield case.  I had a s*** ton of wads left over from trying to load B.P. for schofields (modern replicas don't have the gas shield, so they gum up quickly).  Anyway, the 6grs. titegroup is the go-to load for the schofield (at least for me).  With the wad, the load is lightly compressed with the 200 gr. bullet.  I mainly did it because I was experimenting (and bored).  As to ringing the chamber, I've never heard or read about that- not saying it couldn't happen, just have never heard or read that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com