Author Topic: Rifle Scabbards  (Read 1422 times)

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
Rifle Scabbards
« on: November 29, 2021, 08:50:25 PM »
Hello Gents, Can we start a thread on Rifle Scabbards. I am making my first one and the scabbard is pretty straight forward but I want to make sure I understand the strapping system.

I am currently making one of Will Ghormley's style of scabbard but the strap section is kind of vague to me.

I have my billets cut and ready to be riveted to the scabbard. I have the 3/4" straps cut.

Not being a true horse person myself I dont fully understand what the straps need to be properly attached. Buckles, trigger snaps, Dee rings, etc?

As always, photos are extra welcomed.  ;)
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Rifle Scabbards
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 11:24:17 PM »
This is a fine idea. Lets have some photos, pards. If this thread gets going nicely, we can put a link to it in our FAQ thread. :D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 03:44:31 AM »
You might want to consider where You will be using the scabbard before attaching the billets...
If not on a horse, then maybe on a motorcycle or an ATV?
If the scabbard is just to protect the gun when laying in the back of the car or standing in the guncart, then the placement isn't critical.
For dismounted service You could even make straps similar to knapsack straps or a combination rifle sling/scabbard carry sling.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:42:10 AM »

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 07:02:29 AM »
You might want to consider where You will be using the scabbard before attaching the billets...
If not on a horse, then maybe on a motorcycle or an ATV?
If the scabbard is just to protect the gun when laying in the back of the car or standing in the guncart, then the placement isn't critical.
For dismounted service You could even make straps similar to knapsack straps or a combination rifle sling/scabbard carry sling.

I am just trying to broaden my learning and experience in all of the leather craft. I enjoy making functional leatherwork. The scabbard made for horse carry is not something I’ve tackled fully so I’m doing that now.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 04:49:39 PM »
It's gonna depend somewhat on the length of the rifle that fits inside the scabbard, i.e., the balance point of the rifle and scabbard.  You also mentioned riveting the billets. I would recommend stitching them to the scabbard so there's no possibility of scratching the gun.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 07:47:21 AM »
It's gonna depend somewhat on the length of the rifle that fits inside the scabbard, i.e., the balance point of the rifle and scabbard.  You also mentioned riveting the billets. I would recommend stitching them to the scabbard so there's no possibility of scratching the gun.

The rivets in this design are never in contact with the rifle itself. Here are a couple photos of my progress so far.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 11:34:05 AM »
That is a lot of basket weaving!

Out of curiosity, how do you tackle large tooling projects like that? I case my leather, try to keep it just moist enough, and it gets mold before I can finish it.

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 02:07:53 PM »
That is a lot of basket weaving!

Out of curiosity, how do you tackle large tooling projects like that? I case my leather, try to keep it just moist enough, and it gets mold before I can finish it.

I just wet it and then let it dry some and once I start working on it I have to dampen it periodically and let it get back almost to color.

That is the way I do it. There may be better ways out there.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 06:27:05 PM »
I never leave leather cased in a plastic bag or anything overnight. There are people who make 'casing' leather a big deal. I just wet the leather and work with it. Like Rube does, I simply wet it as needed while working. I tool what I can and if the project can't be done in one day, which is highly unusual, it can dry overnight and I wet it again when I get back to it.

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 09:48:20 PM »
I never leave leather cased in a plastic bag or anything overnight. There are people who make 'casing' leather a big deal. I just wet the leather and work with it. Like Rube does, I simply wet it as needed while working. I tool what I can and if the project can't be done in one day, which is highly unusual, it can dry overnight and I wet it again when I get back to it.

Yep. My process also. It works for what I’m doing currently.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 08:12:32 AM »
Well I finished up the Scabbard that I was working on. I am pleased with the way it turned out. Really the only thing that I would do differently is tool both sides. That way it could be hung in any position on the saddle and have the tooling seen. The way it is now a rider could hang it from his saddle on the right side butt forward or left side butt facing the rear and have the tooling show. The opposite sides would display a plain (no tooling) side. Which I guess depending on what the rider wants......could be perfect if they wanted a plain scabbard. If a person is paying for tooling though I would want that tooling displayed.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 08:53:46 AM »
For basic tooling borders I just wet and go but for large carving or something like that large of basket weave project I will properly case the leather.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 10:33:17 AM »
Looks good. The BW is nice and even. Good job, there.

Online Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 10:35:45 AM »
Looks good. The BW is nice and even. Good job, there.

Thank you Sir.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com