Author Topic: Closing in on a potential problem  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Closing in on a potential problem
« on: March 15, 2004, 10:53:18 AM »
The problem I have with the FS is that there are too many forums.  I don't have long each time I sit down at the computer to check messages and don't want to wade through several forums looking for a post to respond to.  As a result, I don't look at those boards very often.  I'm probably missing posts that I'd find interesting.  That's pretty frustrating,

We're hitting that point here on CAS City.  Too many forums.

I really like the way the Wire is set up.  While there are a bunch of posts that I'm not interested in, I don't worry about missing something that I am.  They're all in the same place.

Trying to accomodate everyone's needs and we'll end up with another FS. 

I woke up this morning to a new BP Forum.  That means there'll be a Smokeless one coming next.  Where is this going to end???? 

Doc (what thinks too many options isn't a good thing) Shapiro

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
Re: Closing in on a potential problem
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 12:09:35 PM »

Doc,

In Forum Hall, I have set up an option to make sure there is no frustration.

If you look at

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=41.0

you'll find the feature about notification. The idea with this is to avoid spending time browsing through boards to look for topics. A click on the link in an email and you get right on to the topic or a reply to a topic you subscribe to.

In regards of the number of boards, there is a limit and this limit in the future will depend on the interest and the traffic.

Thank you for your feeback.
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 05:03:10 PM »
That wasn't quite what I was getting at!

What I'm suggesting is that by segregating posts into multiple boards in an attempt to organize, it's more time consuming to go through the posts to find something of interest.  Especially when there aren't 3-400 new posts a day!

What I am suggesting is that there isn't a need to break it up into so many different boards when there aren't very many new posts each day. 

Usability!  The more clicks it takes me to go through the site to find what I am looking for, the less likely I am to use it.  Now that's a general statement, but it applies to TFS and if more boards show up here it will apply as well.

Doc (what likes the simplicity of the Wire better) Shapiro

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:20:31 AM »

Offline Klondike

• Very Active Citizen
    • Cowtown Katy's Emporium
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 08:01:13 PM »
Doc, I agree, on TFS, I rarely look at some of the forums, usually only look at three. I, like you, am probably missing out on something we might have interest in, but don't see. Here I look at the Longbranch and SASS, rarely look at the others.

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 08:29:05 PM »
While I agree that too many rooms can make for a lonesome night, the "organization" of TOB is in many ways havoc.  You may have to look back page after page after page, to stay on current posts.

I don't want to see too many rooms created, either.  I'll tell you as for the Longbranch, I intend to just let them all ride.  I will split them off, when a new tangent has clearly started, but that's all, far as I'm concerned.

Adios,

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 10:00:14 PM »
Well, we sure don't want to become so dis-oriented that we miss the point of enjoying CAS City.  I just look for the Red or Green and the Forum itself.  If it's green and I'm interested I'll go peek, otherwise I just sort of pass.  Just IMEE
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 10:34:59 PM »
Hext, while I might agree with you if there were a couple of hundred new posts a day, fact is, there aren't yet.  Add many more boards than this and it's gonna get tiresome looking for posts that you might be interested in responding to. 

TFS is a good example.  I probably miss a lot of posts that I could help with because I can't be bothered to comb through every board. 

I'm hoping that this one won't come to that, but it's headed in that direction and I'm a little concerned.  Easier to head it off at the pass early on. 

Course, many may disagree.  That's ok, but I want to bring this up now while it's still early.

Doc

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 12:35:51 PM »
Interesting!

I'm a regular at TFS, but only in the forums that interest me. That's what I LIKE about the place. I don't need to hunt through multiple posts strung throughout one huge "forum" to find those that are of interest to me, I can go straight to (name yer subject) and know that wat's there will be about stuff I wanna read about. Different ways of thinkin' I guess. ;)

BTW Big Hext and Doc Shapiro, you two are both pards I was thinking of when I asked for the creation of The Darksiders Den! I hope you'll both stop in frequently because I highly respect your opinions!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 01:15:48 PM »
Since we're butting heads elsewhere..
I do think we're good here in CAS City.  We have more than too few and fewer than too many..

And Cuts, I'd be glad to drop in, but I don't know squat about BP. 
Adios,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com