Author Topic: Bird Cookin..........  (Read 16182 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bird Cookin..........
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 01:46:23 AM »
Gimme a crock pot slow cooker an whatever is in the fridge/canned food cupboard an somethin goods gonna happen.  Best strogenoff, best chilli, best Irish stew, best pulled pork, anythin that comes outta one of them is hard ta beat.  Pork chops smothered in kraut with taters...ya could cut em with a plastic fork.  Go big an get the 6 quart.  It is one fine invention.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 12:12:15 PM »
Been seeing a lot of cake recipes for slowcookers, lately.  I suppose if you can bake a cake in one, a turkey would work as well.  Gonna have to try it one day.  Right now, I cut up a 12 pounder, sprinkle with Hawaiian sea salt and splash half a bottleof liquid smoke all over and let it go on low till the meat easily shreds.  Voile!  Kalua turkey that's darned close to the real imu cooked stuff.  Works with a pork butt too.  :)

If I ain't lazy, I'll go over to the neighbors and get me some banana and ti leaves to line a large roasting pan with and cook the meat in the oven.  Results are even better with the leaves.   Hmm.  Gonna have to get a larger crockpot and try lining the pot with the leaves and cook the meat that way.  I'm sure it'll turn out great.   :)  And to think I passed up several Nescos I'd seen at garage sales.  :-[

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 03:01:50 PM »
SB, cake recipies.......Why the heck not?
Pineapple Upside Down Cake, might be a good place to start....

I don't see why lining the cooker with leaves, or whatever you wish, wouldn't work out fine with roast meat, fish, or fowl.
There will be other garage sales........

LT, Amen..........

BroTL

When TYQ does do a pot roast in the cooker, I've seen her toss in about 3 cups of what's left of the morning coffee, along with more water. Gots to keep the cooking wet, to be left alone all day....

Slow Cookers, Nesco's, Crock Pots.......Whatever ya'll call it.
They all good to go........... ;D

And thinking about these cookers..........and thinking way back........
I do indeed remember my Mom doing Pork Shoulder, then making BBQ Pork Samitches.........
Her sweet, stringy, melt in your mouth pork, smothered in sauce was the best.....
NRA Endowment, Instructor
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:29:26 AM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 03:48:46 PM »
I have them sammiches fer ma birthday every year. :D
     No need fer extra liquid with the pork (bone in) but some folks around here have suggested pouring in a can of root beer.  Haven't tryied it yet I'm kinda fond of the way they turn out the way we been doin it.  Up ta the individual if they want ta dump any of the juice before addin the sauce the last hour.  I usualy leave it in an grab extra napkins.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 09:51:47 PM »
CK,

Here is a trick with the bird that my Ma found one evening when Pa told her that they needed something for a pot-luck at the school (one teacher&one sub) the next day.

She wrapped a frozen bird in foil and set the oven at about 325 and put it in at bed time.  Come morning, she took it out of the oven and the meat just about fell off of the bone and was some of the moistest meat that we have ever had.  We have been doing turkeys this way ever since ;D
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 05:50:32 PM »
Modoc........Your Mom may have begun the best,
Low and slow cookin procedure ever.................

I'll just bet that that bird was primo.............
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 07:50:51 PM »
That "Nesco Cooker" looks a lot like the Sunbeam Roaster Oven that my mom had; that sucker was big - she cooked six roasting chickens in it at once one time.  It's a lot different from a crock pot, but similar in process; this thing has a porcelained metal inside pan.  All of the turkeys I can remember from my "pup" days were cooked in that thing; it got taken to wherever we were having thanksgiving dinner.  I wonder if it is still at the old home place; my brother owns the place, now, and I don't know if he kept it.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 01:06:37 AM »
Nesco is just another brand name. I don't know what the correct name is, I call em electric roaster pans.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 10:35:11 AM »
Anyone still usin an electric knife?  They used ta be a staple in every home but I haven't seen anyone pull one out in ages.  Seems like folks gave up on em.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 05:54:48 PM »
Anyone still usin an electric knife?  They used ta be a staple in every home but I haven't seen anyone pull one out in ages.  Seems like folks gave up on em.

Leo

I still use one (two different knives, I don’t do Have Knife Will Travel! ::) ;D)  on both Thanksgiving birds (here at home and in Oregon).   
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »
That "Nesco Cooker" looks a lot like the Sunbeam Roaster Oven that my mom had; that sucker was big - she cooked six roasting chickens in it at once one time.  It's a lot different from a crock pot, but similar in process; this thing has a porcelained metal inside pan.  All of the turkeys I can remember from my "pup" days were cooked in that thing; it got taken to wherever we were having thanksgiving dinner.  I wonder if it is still at the old home place; my brother owns the place, now, and I don't know if he kept it.

I remember ma Grandma having a Sunbeam Roaster, kept it on a rolling cart in the utility room, Thanksgiving and Christmas were the only times I remember her pulling it in the kitchen and using it. I don't know how old it was but it was in my first memories of Holidays.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 07:07:42 PM »
OT, ya hit the nail right on the head.............
That's what my Mom had a Sunbeam................
Some dandy eats came outa that device..........Lawd Above...................

I equate that Sunbeam cooker and Pork samitches...there one and the same................

Good stuff Pards, very good stuff indeed..........

Back in the 50's, and early 60's, they were the deal..........

They freed up the real oven to do all the odd jobs, breads, pies and Veggies........
I remembering string beans  with mushroom soup and Dried onion rings..............
That was a heck of a side dish.............
Sliced Taters with onions and butter...........Gadz..........

And all the pies............

Yup, our Mom's used the eletric cooker to free up the big oven for all the rest of the goodies...................

I think creamed corn was my favorite............................With the Pimentos...............
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 07:11:20 PM »

They freed up the real oven to do all the odd jobs, breads, pies and Veggies........
I remembering string beans  with mushroom soup and Dried onion rings..............
That was a heck of a side dish....

Every year Kid, think we still have some in the fridge.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 02:01:19 PM »
My mom's Sunbeam Roaster was kept on a rolling metal cart, too; she kept all of the stuff to use with it on the two lower shelves.  As to just how old it was, my earliest memory of it is from about 1947 or '48.  My folks both passed within a few months of one another in 2002, and that thing was still residing on that cart in the kitchen at their place.  After we settled up the estate, my baby bro got the house, and I don't know what he did with it.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 02:33:46 PM »
I hope your little brother is getting some miles out of your Mom's electric roaster....EP.........

I was in Wally World recently with TYQ. They have at least 10 different sizes and manufactures.......
That's still an item desired by Moms the nation over.............

TYQ's got two of them. A small one what will do up stew for her and I, and a large one.
I think I could get a Crok'r'Gator in the large one......A Pig or Deer easy...... ;D

Gator, wow!, ain't had that in a spell.....
I get a tickle out of eating critters what could eat me.........
It just feels just some how..............
Cubed, breaded, deep fried..........with lots of dippin sauces...A young Gator tail is the best.........Nice and tender.......
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »
Bonus with the crock/gator, ya cut open the belly an might find a perfectly good duck in there...pre tenderized ta boot ;D ;D ;D

Leo

Roland Deschain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com