Author Topic: What is this model?  (Read 6421 times)

sfc rick

What is this model?
« on: October 14, 2017, 07:53:25 AM »
I bought this in 1976 as a young Marine at Camp Lejeune, NC because I wasn't old enough to buy cartridge revolvers. I wanted to have it with me when I traveled in my car. I don't remember what it sold as, meaning was it a Colt 1851 Navy in .44 or a Griswold and Gunnison in .44? It has the rebated cylinder with the "Naval war scene of the Campache battle" Colt used, but has a round barrel of another model. Anyway, my question is do any of you have an idea of what model this might be?

It's been with me ever since 1976...

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: What is this model?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »
Frankengun or gun that never was ....  it is not a replica of anything, an Italian facsimile of a gun and they sold quite a few...
The [AD] date code states the gun was made in 1978  by the way.

Colt never made a Navy with a brass frame, nor in 44 cal.....  36 and at least one in 41 (as seen in the NRA collection )  

Several southern armorers , made a copy of Colt's Navy and a few did use Brass ....

Griswold & Gunnison was indeed one and in 1st. Model & a 2nd. Model , with a round barrel , but in 36Cal. no 44 cal. were
in the run of approx. 2500 guns produced.   ( at least a few were iron framed as well )

there were others in lesser numbers  ...Ridgon & Ansley, Leech & Rigdon and Schneider & Glassick < a few S&G were iron frame )

Your gun is in reasonable shape for a 40 year old shooter , the Cylinder lock notches are pounded as the gun probably is might out of timing or an ill fitted bolt ( quite common ). Nipples look quite good and wedge is in good condition,  over all a nice keep sake .

I'm not quite sure of the Italian manufacture of you gun.... several different shops were making these in the 70's  

when planets align...do the deal !

sfc rick

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 11:11:36 AM »
Thank you so much! I'm kinda surprised by the "1978" date since I bought it before going on a Med Cruise in 1977-78 time frame. But if so then that's alright. Yes the revolver still functions very crisply and I disassembled it to thoroughly clean and lube before going back into the safe. I'll load it and fire very soon just to enjoy it again.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:18:01 PM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 11:16:24 AM »
I suggest you look to the bolt issue, and keep your BP charges below 18 grains.... and you could shoot it another 40 years  ;)

sfc rick

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 11:46:35 AM »
I suggest you look to the bolt issue, and keep your BP charges below 18 grains.... and you could shoot it another 40 years  ;)

;D

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »
Major 2, that's a very nice G&G. Defarb? If you haven't already I'd be interested in a post detailing what was done to it.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 02:35:03 PM »
Major 2, that's a very nice G&G. Defarb? If you haven't already I'd be interested in a post detailing what was done to it.

nothing 154 years would not have done....both are original

the upper was auctioned at the Julia Auction ....I don't recall the gavel price ...mid $5000's if IIRC.

The other came to me VIA former Charles Henderson (April 26, 1860 – January 7, 1937) family, gifted to me about 2010 .

sfc rick

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:01:00 AM »
Major 2, I appreciate those photos showing your G&G's. I love historical revolvers. My memory suffers lapses and I couldn't pin down what the actual model was of that first revolver I ever purchased. Since I wasn't old enough to buy a cartridge revolver for personal use back then it was the only choice I could buy. The Sheriff of Onslow County, NC was kind enough to tell how to legally carry my revolver in the car back then at Camp Lejeune. My Company Commander just required me to check it in to the Battalion Armory during the days I was on post.

I asked the Sheriff if I could carry it loaded in the car, he promptly said That's the only way! I only had one occasion to actual pull it out for self defense one time, fortunately I never had to pull the trigger in that encounter, the mere sight of it pointed at the bad guys nose stopped him in his tracks and he left with haste. Once I turned 21 I bought a more modern cartridge .357 Model 19 S&W and retired that Blackpowder revolver to storage for a very long time.

Anyway, Thanks for the photos and information.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 06:03:36 PM »
GOOGLE Griswold &Gunnison,,A lot of fakes out there,,First clue is trigger guard,, All Griswolds had  trigger guards that were square on  the front and back,, Also check out bottom of grip,, if you sit the grip down on a table the pistol barrel will be pointing upward at an angle  and not parallel with table top,,Also check ser# They were hand stamped and were not always in the same place ..But by studying originals you can spot fakes by their sharpness and size when compared to originals.Then there are the little things to look for like safety pins between cones/nipples..They might not be on the cylinder after all these years,,but you will still be able to see where they were.Also there were two different barrel profiles..The first had a round barrel with the rear of the barrel rounded over on top..Around ser# 1500 the rear of the  barrel was changed to one  like that of the colt draroons with sharp corners .

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 10:59:14 AM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen