Author Topic: Newbie information...  (Read 1474 times)

Offline RipMar

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Newbie information...
« on: July 11, 2020, 07:09:20 PM »
Hi Guys...first post for a new member and I have a couple questions.  One's specific and the other is kinda general opinion.  First, I recently bought a used Uberti Chisholm to use for a specific project.

My Dad was a huge John Wayne fan and he recently passed away...as a way to kinda have Dad around I decided to build a Duke replica revolver. ( I know...kinda lame..but it helps me ) 

I've looked at a ton of grips online and they mostly specify a certain generation weapon. I'm guessing my gun is based off the Gen 1 Colts??  Ok..that's question #1.

Question #2   .. general opinions on Buffalo Brothers John Wayne replica grips.???

Thanks in advance for any info..I'm enjoying this site alot and gaining alot of education.

Also..I apologize if I put this in the wrong area...I figured grips went with gunsmithing...kinda.

edited to remove the "evil" word that makes teeth grind...lol

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Newbie information...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 12:55:15 AM »
Condolences for your loss , nothing lame about your direction...

Buffalo Bros. makes good grips , I've had them in the past.
 Not specifically John Wayne replica grips,  but others and I've been satisficed with their grips.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Im2bent

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 07:15:56 PM »
Yeah what the Major said nothing lame about that at all. Check this guy out he has a ton of videos.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:35:22 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 01:27:31 AM »
The Uberti is a loose copy not a clone as we think of that term.  You need to order grips for a Uberti and not a Colt.  In any event the chances of the grips fitting the grlp frame correctly are close to zero.  They will have to be fitted.  On Colts the various generation grip frames are very slightly different.  BUT, even if, for example, you have a 1st Gen gun the only grips that will fit perfectly are the ones that came with the gun.  Colt put on the grips and ground them to fit a frame and then polished and blued the frame.  Another set of grips would have to be fit to that frame.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 08:36:07 AM »

:)  PLUS ONE too Pettifogger   ;)

If given the opportunity, I would BAN the term "Clone" and "Period Correct" from our Lexicon of terms.  Every time I hear either term, it makes my teeth grind.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 12:27:28 PM »
Hi

To summarize, Buffalo Brothers grips are good.  You can get a very good, but not perfect fit with new grips by sanding, fitting, sanding, fitting for a while.  I would not really want to sand the grips on the gun and then reblue.  On the other hand, it's not a first Generation Colt either.

Later

Mike
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com