Author Topic: The new Marlin made by Ruger  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
The new Marlin made by Ruger
« on: July 30, 2022, 04:09:33 PM »
I normally prefer the more traditional looking lever rifle, but when my LGS salesman showed me this new Marlin now made by Ruger I thought I just might need one of these, so it followed me home. I have not yet had the opportunity to take it to the range. It is the shortest and lightest 45-70 lever rifle I have ever owned. All the review videos I have watched have been very positive.

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: The new Marlin made by Ruger
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 06:40:55 PM »
Not giving you a hard time (congratulations on the new rifle) but "shortest and lightest 45-70" doesn't bode well for your shoulder if you gonna do serious smokeless loads...ask me how I know about this (smile). At least it has a recoil pad.

Good luck with the new rifle,
Dave

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 07:34:26 PM »
Add a kick eaze pad and you’ll never know youve shot it. Had an old 1895 but it was a full sized rifle. I do like the look. I’ve got two in Boyds laminated stocks, an old salt stocked TBolt and a commercial Garand. Hoping they will eventually do a stainless 1894 in .45colt.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:47:16 AM »

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 11:06:19 AM »
Not giving you a hard time (congratulations on the new rifle) but "shortest and lightest 45-70" doesn't bode well for your shoulder if you gonna do serious smokeless loads...ask me how I know about this (smile). At least it has a recoil pad.

Good luck with the new rifle,
Dave

Dave T, I have shot 45-70 for years in both Sharps and lever rifles. The lightest I have owned is the Browning SR carbine and it weighs a little over 8 pounds. I don't shoot hot loads and have never shot the Leverevolution ammo. I reload and shoot BP in my Sharps rifles and smokeless in my lever rifles. I have not shot Buffalo Bore ammo either, but may try some and also Leverevolution at some point. Unless in bear country I don't see the need for hot loads so I stick with cowboy type loads when punching paper.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 08:20:42 PM »
Lou, your shoulder will appreciate you!  (smile)

Dave

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 07:56:59 AM »
If a shooter doesn't want to do a permanent buttstock recoil pad replacement that IMO destroys both the original look and many times the value of a long gun and want something to really tame down recoil, check out Limbsaver (brand) of slip-on recoil pads. I have two Remington Model 81's in 300 Savage and they can be a kicker, esp in warmer weather without a heavy coat to dampen recoil. A shooter on the Remington 8/81 forum suggested these to me around 3 years ago and they are magic.

They come in either the 'Air-Tec' or the 'Classic' model (black or brown) and sell for around $32-35 in most places I've seen them (Fleet Farm, Cabela's and others), also available from on-line outfits like MidwayUSA. The one's I have are the Air-Tec which is supposed to cut recoil by up to 70%, the Classic is rated at 50%. I've checked both out (eyeballed) and the Air-Tec seems to be made a bit more engineered. Easy to slip on and off, but they have a tight fit and not sloppy if ya get the size to match your stock. I bought a large and a medium and tried both, the large on my rifles was a little loose, took it back and exchanged for another medium. They're nice lookin on the gun vs some I've seem that look like a cheap add-on and can be taken off to preserve the original lines of the gun.

I shoot alot of military surplus rifles shooting both cast and FMJ bullets and some of those can have a kick to them. The Limbsaver pads really made them more enjoyable shooting. FWIW, the medium size of the Air-Tec model fit the Remington 81's and all of the MILSURP rifles from four countries (which includes the M1 Garand and the biggest kicker I've ever seen the Russian Mosin-Nagant). Yep, they're an add-on, but when yer out in the bush hunting or shooting at a private or public range, who cares, they're effective. I bought the two so when shooting at my range or wherever, I don't have to change from one gun to another as much if shooting more than one rifle. FWIW, I have no connection with Limbsaver, it's just a real effective high quality product.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 04:09:57 PM »
If a shooter doesn't want to do a permanent buttstock recoil pad replacement that IMO destroys both the original look and many times the value of a long gun and want something to really tame down recoil, check out Limbsaver (brand) of slip-on recoil pads.

Crow Choker, I have one of the Limbsaver slip on recoil pads for my Sharps saddle rifle for when I am bench shooting and it works great. I take it off when woods walking as it isn't really necessary when shooting off hand.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 05:56:40 PM »
Crow Choker, I have one of the Limbsaver slip on recoil pads for my Sharps saddle rifle for when I am bench shooting and it works great. I take it off when woods walking as it isn't really necessary when shooting off hand.

Here ya there. They add a little bit to the 'length of pull', but I haven't found them to alter my sighting and/or accuracy. If I do bring any rifle up for a quick shot with a Limbsaver on them when 'woods walking' or an outing known as 'river banking' as we call walking several of the local rivers and shooting. I haven't noticed any trouble shouldering the rifle, getting cheek weld, or sighting problems. The Milsurps are mostly range shooters. I don't hunt with any of the rifles I use them on here in Iowa due to the fact that the rifles/calibers are illegal for deer hunting (only big game in the state). The Milsurps are a bit more than I'd need, the 300 Savage would be about the only one I'd use if bottle neck calibers were permitted. My two Marlin lever 'big bores' are 1894's, but in .357 and 44 Mag, no problem with recoil with the ammo I shoot with them.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 07:08:05 PM »
At first I didn't care for the big loop lever but it has grown on me, but I thought it needed a leather wrap of some sort. Also I decided to replace the cross bolt safety with a saddle ring and use the half cock safety like all the older Marlins have.

Offline drstilecho

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 10:05:18 AM »
nice nice I bet you will love it I shoot  the smaller one a 1894 in colt 45 I  love it . my go to when I'm just out in the woods relaxing . It has brought down hog,coyotes,deer you name it

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 08:28:09 PM »
I have high hopes for Rug-lins. (Rem-Lins were awful!) Ruger has some of the best customer service in the industry, and great QC.  They intend to reinstate the vast majority of the Marlin line, as it does not compete with existing Ruger product lines.They are doing 1895s first, then 336s and 1894s,
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 11:23:34 AM »
I know it isn't traditional looking but dang I really liked my new Marlin/Ruger Trapper so well I had to get the SBL as well. These are a hoot to shoot Balanced very well with nice recoil pads. I have been shooting them using 325 gr. RNFP GC cast bullets over 28gr. IMR4198 and the recoil has been very manageable. I am going to up my powder charge to 33gr and see how they shoot. Love these rifles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com