Author Topic: Why I like NCOWS  (Read 148770 times)

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why I like NCOWS
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 02:24:03 AM »
If the rest rooms were marked for skirts and for pants, which one did Rattlesnake Jack Use?   ;D ;D ;D

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 07:18:21 AM »
History....research....history.....research..............shooting!  Historical fact, not fiction, not the woulda coulda shoulda idiom that you see in other shooting venues.

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Lars

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 08:56:47 AM »
If the rest rooms were marked for skirts and for pants, which one did Rattlesnake Jack Use?   ;D ;D ;D
Old Top

Good question! One day he wore a short skirt (from something they "kilt"), one day long pants made of same fabric. I for one, never saw him go to the "blue rooms", but, since I was generally not watching and I was ignorant of the period correct "little houses", I am probably lacking critical informations.

FWIW, those "little houses" in Sweden have hearts cut in the doors. Why do ones in Amerika have cresent moons? Are the "deers on the doors" a Kansas touch? Since there must be a documented, historical reason, thought I would ask.

Thanks,
Lars

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:51:20 AM »

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 09:09:23 AM »
Lars,

You got me on the cresent moon, but the Buck is to anotate Male and the Doe is to anotate Female.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 09:10:56 AM »
Old Top said:

"If the rest rooms were marked for skirts and for pants, which one did Rattlesnake Jack Use?"

Any damned one he wanted!

Lars:

Read something one time that said outhouses were marked with a circle (for the sun) for men, and the crescent (for the moon) for women.  Something about women being creatures of the night, which goes back to the Middle Ages, if not further.  But that women are not as hard on outhouses as men are, so the ones with the crescent survived longer, into modern times.

Maybe I'll do a Google search on outhouses, and see what else I can find out!

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2005, 09:15:03 AM »
The buck and doe are often seen around folks who hunt and in the places they hang out.  Another common one is dogs on the door and sometime also worded "pointers" and "setters."  This of course is worded for those who don't know the differance 'tween and Irsh Setter and an English Pointer. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Lars

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2005, 09:52:57 AM »
This of course is worded for those who don't know the differance 'tween and Irsh Setter and an English Pointer. ;D

Now, IF we follow this convention, what does a Scottish Terrier do?

Lars

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2005, 10:20:08 AM »
Out houses were marked with suns (male) and moons (female; do to the lunar cycle) because a large portion of the population was illiiterate.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2005, 11:35:01 AM »

In all truth ... both of them!  ;) ;D ::)

(Seein' as how the male population of the range exceeded the female by about six to one, I - and others - figured that there wasn't much harm in it ....)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 11:50:54 AM »
Time I jumped in with an answer to the original question starting this thread .....

The historical aspect, as well as the broader range of firearms contemplated by the rules, both appeal strongly to me as a long-time history afficionado, re-enactor and shooter of muzzle-loaders and other old-timey firearms. 

(With some chagrin, I must admit that I only just joined NCOWS, though that step was long overdue.   Matter of fact, however, I've been seriously pondering whether to even bother renewing my S*SS membership after the current year, since it will no longer afford much real benefit to me in Canada now that I will not even be receiving a printed copy of the Chronicle unless I decide to pay a significantly increased renewal fee ....  And there's more of genuine interest to me in a single issue of The Shootist than in any three or more Chronicles!)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 12:45:51 PM »
I've been thinking about this question alot since the GAF muster.

The short answer is:  the emphasis on historical correctness.  I did not join untill the Working Cowboy Class was started.  [I could not see the sense in requiring so many guns that you need a cart.]

During the GAF Muster another aspect came to light.  That being the open friendliness of the people.  I began this journey as a Mountain man/ buckskinner.  That group of people were not the most historically correct, but were and are the most generous and helpful folks you will ever meet.  Then I got into military re-enacting / living history.  These folks are very ticky about authenticity and quick to critisize anyone who does not interpret history the same way that they do.

NCOWS people are as friendly and generous as the buckskinners.  Many are as authentic as the ticky military living historians, with out being snooty.

There really are not any clothing police.  One of the shooters at the GAF muster was attired in such a manner that he was not any where near as appropriate as a bit player in a 1950s B western.  I am not ware that anyone said a word to him about his attire.  We just said "good shooting" and left it at that.

Suffice it to say;  NCOWS members are a great bunch of people.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 01:15:54 PM »
Books, you may not have been told but GAF members can emulate "Movie" type military uniforms, so the individual was probably very legal under GAF guidelines, this said without any knowledge of what the individual was dressed as....
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 01:22:50 PM »
Ya almost hit the nail on the head Books, Historic authenticity is just someone's interpitation, one can only do the best they can with the knowledge they have.  Most of us have a specialty of knowledge, where we do better than another area.  I've never found anyone perfect, but those who whine the most about other's flaws almost always have some very bad one's in their portrayal.  

I'm know some flaws were very visable in our cook camp, we are working on hiding them better in the future, but it will never be 100%, but then I don't think anyone got a period correct sickness from spoiled food either.  Repackaging on our scale is almost impossible.

You have to admit, the honestly worn clothing with mismatched buttons, patches and holes in the soles of my boots was a nice touch toward PC. ;D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Lars

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 01:57:58 PM »
Actually, there were so many folks in the "old" USA West from diverse countries in Europe, Scandinavia, Brittania, slavic countries, China, etc. that just about any sort of "old fashined" dress can be documented. From my perspective, Hollywood is a poor example of anything relevant, especially if any sort of "western".

I am begining to think that any item-specific "costume" criteria that NCOWS might have might best be tossed in favor of having the individual explain the relevance of each item in his/her impression. I, for one, was wearing three items of clothing that are very specific to my persona as an immigrant assayer ("fiddlers" cap, bussarong shirt, rough-out gloves), but, not something that many (any?) NCOWS members would have been aware of. There are many more such items that I may add and many, many more personas that can be developed. Try impersonating a Morman cart pusher from Norway on his/her way to Utah, for example. In addition, us immigrants mixed items of our native dress with items available in the 1800s USA.

Lars

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2005, 02:13:01 PM »
I think that Books made a good point here.  I am aware of the shooter and nobody said anything to him.  You know why?  Because if he does join, then he will start making the transition to something more PC.  One of the successes of the GAF Muster was to introduce potential members to NCOWS.  We did.  I had 3 folks from central Kansas as me how to form an NCOWS Posse.  They had an absolute HOOT.  They saw the NCOWS folks and the level of authenticity and wanted to do it themselves. 

I am sure people would have felt differently if somebody busted their hump about PC and they are not NCOWS members.  Something to think about.  By the way, all the NCOWS members that I saw at the Muster LOOKED great.  The potential members that shot last year made a greater effort to be authentic this year.  Something to think about.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2005, 02:21:37 PM »
Try impersonating a Morman cart pusher from Norway on his/her way to Utah, for example. In addition, us immigrants mixed items of our native dress with items available in the 1800s USA.
Lars

;D

That would be a sight...

I may be heading off topic here, but when it comes to costumes and Norway, Norwegians have a tradition of using national costumes which is based on authentic outfits used by peope in the 18th and 19th century. In fact, Norwegians wearing their national costumes would be flagging for NCOWS and authenticity if they show up at a shooting event. This is a national costume from the area in Norway where my parents were born.

Many Norwegian/Americans living in Minnesota and other states are using these kind of costumes and would be perfect for a banquet. Well, back to topic...
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2005, 02:31:55 PM »
Associating with like minded individuals whose interest is experiencing the mid to late 19th century frontier, increasing my understanding of the history of that period, and of course learning from them. If I could only make money doing it, heck if I could just keep more of the money I have in my saddle bags while doing it.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Lars

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2005, 03:32:57 PM »
Thanks Marshall Holloway!!

I would expect that many, many NCOWS folks would be quite intrigued to learn of the extensive efforts that folks in Norway take in documenting their national costumes (bunader) or Swedes their folkdräkter.

IF Stina (short for Kristina, for the education of others) ever makes it to the Muster, she will be wearing a Swedish folkdräkt from a specific area of Sweden to the banquet. So far, I do not have a folkdräkt.

Lars

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2005, 04:00:05 PM »
Although costume has many meanings I have come to hate the word because to most it implies something worn on Halloween.  I prefer attire, because that's what I wear all the time.  Yes I sell the clothing for a living, but I wear them everywhere because I choose to.

And I love what you wore Lars, I knew it for what it was, one of the best outfits I've seen in a long time.  As you may have noticed I'm getting away from the wide brimmed hat all the time, I often wear a head rag.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Lars

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2005, 05:24:37 PM »
Delmonico,

A Chinese cook in late 1800s California Chinese attire would be a nice touch. Maybe one from China Camp? Would be great to have a nice meal based around the sun-dried shrimp they produced there (for shipment back to China).

Lars.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com