Author Topic: Krags at CampPerry  (Read 1956 times)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Krags at CampPerry
« on: November 16, 2017, 07:28:14 PM »
Fount this link from over on Gunboards:

Notice the homemade chargers one guy has. I don't know if a double row Mills Belt would be very helpful shooting from prone.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Krags at CampPerry
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 08:39:58 AM »
Though designed to handle loose rounds dumped into the magazine, the Krag also used a 'Parkhurst' stripper clip loading device that held five rounds.

They're a bit rare...

The one pictured was made by a guy called 'parashooter' - he made them from copper, aluminum and brass.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 09:26:12 AM »
If you pull up the Krag Collector forum and look under ammunition there is a thread that I started showing one of these and a template. I am thinking about trying my Krag in a local Garand club match but would need one of these critters to be competitive.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:23:51 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
I've watched many Krag shooters in competition and I believe their ability to grab 5 rounds and load manually is faster than trying to fumble a stripper clip.

Practice, muscle memory and pre-staging clusters of five rounds on the belt seems fairly fast.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »
Ed, for match use in the prone position, why not make up some loading blocks that hold rounds in groups of 5, spaced close enough to grab them as a group in one hand. If the ammo is loaded to the correct overall length, you can just "dump" 5 rounds into the open magazine and they'll align themselves properly. I've only experienced "rim lock" when using shorter, lightweight bullets. For standing, the double row Mills Belt with rounds staged in groups of 5 seems to work well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com