Author Topic: cutting our leather  (Read 7957 times)

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
cutting our leather
« on: November 07, 2005, 09:21:58 AM »
Does anyone use sissors to cut out there holsters or belts. i am having one hell of a time useing a knife

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: cutting our leather
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 11:39:09 AM »
I sometimes use scissors to cut a little outside my pattern line around tighter curves. That makes it easier to cut with a knife because the trimming will move easily out of the way. It also helps to have good, sharp knives. I strop mine with jeweler's rouge frequently. If the knife starts to drag a little, I strop it. A couple strokes will clean the oils off the blade and it'll cut smoothly. Sometimes I get several feet between strops, other times less than that. It depends on the leather and how much of a curve you are cutting. The knife should also be sharp enough to shave with.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 12:43:16 PM »
Marshall,  what steps do you go through sharpening you knife.  I use a flat diamond stone and get the cutting edge, then hit it a few licks on some leather to knock of the little roll on the blade.  is their a better way?
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:18:25 PM »

jiminy criquet

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 12:46:09 PM »
Yes.  A good pair of shears and an exacto knife.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 12:53:30 PM »
Yeah your right,  but I want to sharpen my knife too.  I don't think it'd be too handy skninning a deer or squirrel with an exacto knife.  I've got several case knives and you can get a really good edge on them, but I just wondered if there was a better way.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Kid Cavalier

• Have Cards Will Travel
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Kid Cavalier
  • SASS #: 35602
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 01:37:09 PM »
It is essential to have a razor sharp blade or you will get tired cutting, or the blade will not cut where you want it to.
If you are having a hard time sharpening your tools, purchase a carpet knife with replacable blades.  These start as razor sharp.  I then polish the cutting surface that will come in contact with the leather.  (A permanently mounted buffing wheel with polishing compound on hand makes this a quick operation.)  It doesn't take long and you get great results.  The blade makes no sound as it glides through the leather.

I polish the edge of every cutting tool I use.  (It is amazing the difference in effort required over an unpolished edge.)

I have learned to sharpen everthing from kitchen knives to chisels.  It is as much a skill as carving.  The only way I got there was by practicing and ruining several knives over the years.

I have the Lansky sharpening system for restoring damaged edges.  It is a great tool for novice sharpeners as it keeps the correct angle enforced.

If you can't shave with it, it isn't sharp.
Happy sharpening,
Kid
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Offline Uncle Chan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 02:41:27 PM »
Well, you'll all probably laugh at this, but I use a scroll saw with an extra fine blade.  I run it on it's lowest speed.  I can stack a couple few pieces of leather together and cut out a few at a time.  I've tried knives, razors, scissors, etc and nothing has worked better than the 16" Delta Scroll Saw for me.  Truthfully, I can't imagine using anything else for big jobs.  For the smaller jobs, with the lighter leathers, an exacto knife and scissors has always worked for me.

U.C.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 02:48:28 PM »
NOTE:  Marshall,this is not a working site but if you need to delete it anyway, please just cut the link and I will try to figure how to do the thumbnails again.

These are my favorites at the bottom of the page: http://hometown.aol.com/twomacleather/page4.html and no sharpening is requiired.  The carpet knife is razor sharp and does up to moderate curves very well, while the old box opener stands in as my most used overall knife.  Acouple of things about the box openers, they can be had in several configurations(good) and their universal popularity has brought in a ton of manufacturers and quality of the knives and blades vary greatly.  Poor quality knives will close or retract on you(possibly dangerous) and poor quality blades are dull(definitely dangerous).  The little X-acto will reach into the tightest spots or curves to remove a tiny bit of excess und does micro skiving like a surgical tool.  The weirdest tool that works like a champ is the glass scraper, a professional sive knife if thewre ever was one.  It neatly takes down the end of those main seam fillers or makes very controlled tapered angle skives along edges.  As the blades dull I simply drop them into the slotted lid of a coffe can and pop a new blade in within seconds.  One day I will address whether or not to sharpen the zillion plus blades in the coffee can!!!  

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 04:09:49 PM »
For long straight or curved cuts I use an Olfa roller cutter over a 1/8" thick sheet of PVC sheeting.  The roller blades are pricey, but if used with a good self sealing backing like the PVC sheeting, the edge will hold for quite awhile.  For the inside corner and fine detail cuts I use either an Exacto knife or a plain old box knife.  Btw, the PVC sheeting works well with any blade and makes a nifty workbench top that's easy to clean. 

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 04:28:58 PM »
I've used a pair of leather scissors for years. Got em at Tandys 20 years ago.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 10:45:43 PM »
Marshall,  what steps do you go through sharpening you knife.  I use a flat diamond stone and get the cutting edge, then hit it a few licks on some leather to knock of the little roll on the blade.  is their a better way?
That's just about the same as I do. I use a fine arkansas stone and finish with jeweler's rouge on the flesh side of a piece of belt leather (the same piece I use to strop it).

I also have some round punches in the 1/2" to 1" range that I use for tight curves first, then I cut out from the punched hole.

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 06:39:45 AM »
Thanks for all the answers. I have learn quite a bit form you guys so far, And hope tp learn more. Believe me my knives are sharp. I was a meat cutter for 30 years.And that is a must in that business. you only cut yourself with a dule knife

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 02:04:48 PM »
Thats a great hint on the punches Marshall, but how do you sharpen them thar punches pard?  Do you do it strictly by hand or do you mechanically spin them against an abrasive?

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 03:14:56 PM »
Thats a great hint on the punches Marshall, but how do you sharpen them thar punches pard?  Do you do it strictly by hand or do you mechanically spin them against an abrasive?
I do 'em on a stone much like you would a chisel, except rotating the punch at the same time. Fortunately, if they get a bit dull, they still cut OK as long as the cutting surface underneath is not irregular from too much previous punch work. I never tried spinning them mechanically, but that isn't a bad idea. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the idea.

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 07:24:04 PM »
I chuck mine up in the drillpress and put it on a slow speed and take a stone to them. besure and keep the right angle on them

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 03:35:52 PM »
Nobody uses an honest-to-gosh heading knife?

Offline Kid Cavalier

• Have Cards Will Travel
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Kid Cavalier
  • SASS #: 35602
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 04:00:52 PM »
For trim work and cutting geometric shapes, I use a Danny Marlin head knife.  Other tools serve different purposes better.
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Offline Rascal Ralph

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 12:07:45 PM »
For many years as a shoer/blacksmith, when putting leather pads on shoes, I used my jigsaw upside down in a vice, with a razor sharp saw(toothless) blade in it, to trim the pads. I still do, to cut holsters etc. Moving the leather, feeding it into the blade.  I can cut a sharp curve, and keep a 90 degree edge on the leather.Just make sure you don't slice off a piece of finger.    RHR.
In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you hadn't met yet.

Sass # 67604

SBSS # 1822

GOFWG # 283

RATS # ???

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 11:52:21 PM »
For many years as a shoer/blacksmith, when putting leather pads on shoes, I used my jigsaw upside down in a vice, with a razor sharp saw(toothless) blade in it, to trim the pads. I still do, to cut holsters etc. Moving the leather, feeding it into the blade.  I can cut a sharp curve, and keep a 90 degree edge on the leather.Just make sure you don't slice off a piece of finger.    RHR.
Now this is a good idea. I'll have to try this. And keep all my fingers, too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com