Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 5666 times)

Offline Homer Corn

• Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3769
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 09:29:24 AM »
Well...this year will be a different one for sure, at least for me. I will go into the hospital the week of Thanksgiving and will be there until after New Year’s Eve. My cancer has returned and I will be undergoing stem cell replacement therapy. This means I will not be able to see my kids through the holidays and likely not even my wife, if COVID gets bad again due to possible contagion. The upside of all this is that I should be finally free of cancer.

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2020, 09:11:40 PM »
Decided to bring 4x guns, converted Sharps 1855, converted Springfield 1863, & 2x 38/40s, my tacky Colt Lightning Rifle, & an S&W DA 38, yes, I own 1 of 276 revolvers produced in 38/40. Looks rough, lockup tight, bore excellent! Hard to break open, getting better as I put rounds through it.
Brian

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 08:21:35 PM »
Received a notification from my brother canceling! My reply was “Fuck Governor Reynolds”. 2nd, I will sit out. My county has high Covid rate, 2nd, operating in a VA facility 1 patient away from level red. I am Running With Scissors, won’t expose others!
Brian 

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:29:55 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 09:35:22 PM »
Well, the sad truth is , aside from "SHE" ( the one I tend to obay ) and the clone , there is no one left  :(

The Wife (SHE) has her Sister,  BIL  and niece & nephew  , but they are doing their own thing...

My Sister passed in January  :(  , she was the one for gathering , but that ended 5 or 6 years ago.

So it's just us , I got a Turkey on sale for $6 , or I prolly would not have even done that .... :-\

I do wish, you all a happy day , and there is still some silver lining on a otherwise , CRAPPY 2020

We are all still here  :) and we all get to Wish for A HAPPY THANKSGIVING ....and a brighter 2021

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 09:09:30 AM »

Spent a large number of Thanksgiving meals in Military Dining Halls.  Some of the best thanksgiving meals I ever had.  I am not, however a big fan of Thanksgiving.  I don't like most of a Turkey.  Prefer the Dark Meat (as does my sweetie) so we have, in the past, ordered in just turkey parts from the Super.

This year however, it's just us and we are having THE dinner catered.  Beef Tenderloin, Smashed Sweet Potatoes, a Veggie and desert.  All we have to do is cook it.  Simple.  Elegant.  Alas, no "leftovers" for sandwiches.  Oh well.

Hide and Watch

PS:  Almost elected for Chinese Delivery.  Reserving that for Xmas Dinner.  Yum.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 09:39:36 AM »
..., and there is still some silver lining on a otherwise , CRAPPY 2020
We are all still here
That's the spirit!
After all that's what Thanksgiving is all about. That first one 399 years ago was all about being thankful they had survived the first year! 2020 has indeed been "CRAPPY" but anyone reading this has survived all but about 1 month of it.

One of my favorite memories of Thanksgiving was when I was about 15 and we had Spam for Thanksgiving dinner. We'd had a blizzard but still had to feed the animals and walked the last 4 miles to the farm. (We lived in town at the time) Dad kept some emergency supplies (Spam ect) in the old farm house for just such situations. So we had Spam for Thanksgiving diner and were truly happy to have it and to be inside where it was warm.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 10:57:05 AM »

PS:  Almost elected for Chinese Delivery.  Reserving that for Xmas Dinner.  Yum.

A friend of mine who was doing college in Florida did the Chinese carryout for Xmas with the GF, now wifey.  I did eat in Chinese with the daughter when she had to work Xmas at Assisted Living.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 11:21:28 AM »
yeah, shaping up to be as weird an end of year as it was a start.   Here at work, we started discussing Covid in late January and already had semi-plans after SARS/MERS and a particularly bad flu year.   So, I spent March and April working from my kitchen table, venturing in to facility once a week.   Now that we are even hotter again, I will be sitting at that table again on Monday all the way to 2021.   If I have to venture in, I have to be tested at the door.  We always end up doing 2 thanksgivings.   The one we host has opted to cancel and hope that December 25 is less virulent.  Not sure on the 2nd event.   I have a capon in the freezer if it is just my wife and me.   Oh, and our new puppy! She likes chicken (and penquins is practically chickens) (sorry for the Warner Bros. interruption)   

This is our 2020 silver lining.  She is a miniature australian labradoodle.  I think the aussie part means she turns counter-clockwise before laying down.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 12:40:14 PM »
Great Pup ...  :) 

Dogs are a blessing , true devosion and a wagging tail ...no one, I mean no one is more glad to see you !
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 07:00:58 PM »
3 of them did  ;D
Oral history of my moms family always said that their ancestors had ridden "the boat" Turns out my Dad's side did too.

A family of 3, you don't know what family?  We may be related.  I'm related to one family of three, the daughter married the ship's cooper (don't know if he signed the compact or not) who stayed on here when the ship returned.  Two others from another family on the boat as well.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 08:59:06 PM »
I spent one Thanksgiving at Manifah Bay, Saudi Arabia.  We had a "special" Thanksgiving, featuring some sort of pressed turkey loaf.  I remember when I walked in the mess tent, one of my enlisted Marines who was doing mess duty told me "Sir, it actually tastes a little better than it looks."  Truly a ringing endorsement!  We all can, indeed, be thankful we're here.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2020, 02:24:47 AM »
I spent one Thanksgiving at Manifah Bay, Saudi Arabia.  We had a "special" Thanksgiving, featuring some sort of pressed turkey loaf.  I remember when I walked in the mess tent, one of my enlisted Marines who was doing mess duty told me "Sir, it actually tastes a little better than it looks."  Truly a ringing endorsement!  We all can, indeed, be thankful we're here.

Exactly Sir!
As I used to tell my complaining coworkers:
"Better than being shot at in Azerbaijan"

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 09:21:53 AM »
Well....
As compared to the above waddie that wants to engage in illicit endeavors with our duly-elected governorette here in Iowa, most all of us that have lived through the past year are very thankful of that which she has accomplished, what we can put on the table, whatever it might be, and most certainly won't worry about which firearm to take to a family engagement.
As we hold hands and pray for our fellow man we might reflect on how difficult it is to maintain the norm and cover all bases, including those of transporting vets here and back for any given appt., and bless those that do. As she has calmly stated this past few days, she won't be able to be with her own family due to covid and etc., as well as those duties required by her office to maintain the state in as best a condition as is possible, a thankless job to say the least.
We are truly thankful for those in uniform here in Iowa that step forward to help and will ultimately be away from their own families this next week, we wish them all the best and hope they are rewarded in time, suffice it to say a big "Thanks!" and "God bless all!" is only a small sobriquette, but one which will have to do for now.
I only hope that the above-mentioned waddie can find it in his heart to thank our governorette for all she does and that he will continue to do as well with the effort he is challenged with in his transport endeavors.
May God Bless All!
Best regards,
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 06:23:09 PM »
Apologize for my harsh language. My own personal view of Governor Reynolds, to little to late. Slow to react! My brother is going to hold his get together, I will sit out! My county is 6th in Iowa for Covid. I am a Volunteer with DAV van driver & VA Volunteer Services, I accept the risks I am taking, won’t expose my family.
Brian

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »
Oklahoma trip ain't happening now, the area that had almost none reported all year just went bonkers with it, my buddy has it, figured it out today.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2020, 01:09:28 PM »
A family of 3, you don't know what family?  We may be related.  I'm related to one family of three, the daughter married the ship's cooper (don't know if he signed the compact or not) who stayed on here when the ship returned.  Two others from another family on the boat as well.
Descended from John and Priscilla Alden on both sides (That explains a lot, huh?) I'd have to look up the other names

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »
I played John Alden in an elementary play once.  Does that count?!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2020, 06:13:12 AM »
I played John Alden in an elementary play once.
I have a hard time envisioning that. You were probably taller in elementary school, than he was as an adult.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2020, 02:17:55 PM »
I played John Alden in an elementary play once.  Does that count?!

Probably was married to one of my relatives. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2020, 10:05:29 PM »
Descended from John and Priscilla Alden on both sides (That explains a lot, huh?) I'd have to look up the other names

John Alden was the cooper, he did sign the compact by the way.  Priscilla made the journey with her parents William and Alice Mullins and married John in this country.  Looks like we are related (out "on the shirttail" as my mother liked to say)  Richard and Elizabet Warren are also in my tree.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com