Author Topic: Anything Could Happen  (Read 107784 times)

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Anything Could Happen
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2005, 11:26:03 AM »
"If the Army is not sending ambulances tomorrow, then we will move the troopers to the Starr.  Johnny, please send 3 wagons back.  Make that 4 vehicles - 3 for the wounded, 1 for the dead.  We can use a carriage instead of a wagon for the least injured troopers.  Check with Doctor Bill before you leave, to see if he needs anything for rigging slings to hold those with broken legs.  Scarlet, if you'll please watch over Blue Feather for a while, I'll go check on the troopers again," Ella rattled off instructions, then left the tent. 

In the troopers' tent, everyone was asleep, most peacefully.  Andrews seemed to be having bad dreams.  John Smith was still alive, giving Ella reason to hope that he would survive. 
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2005, 10:15:12 PM »
“Troutman ought to watch Fields if he’s worried about someone being after his command.” Johnny mumbled as he went out of the tent in search of Doctor Bill.

“I’m not used to cleaning up the Army’s mess anymore.” Johnny said half jokingly as he approached Bill. “I’ll be taking the wagon back to get more supplies at first light. Ella has a few supplies she wants when I come back. She suggested 4 wagons to take the troopers back to the Starr and asked me to check with you to see if there was anything you needed for rigging slings. Course we could just take them to the Army and let their own doctors worry ‘bout ‘em. I’d do that but some of those soldiers are good men and are in better hands here or at home than they would be at the fort.” Johnny said taking out the piece of paper with the list he’d started while talking to Ella
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2005, 11:01:22 PM »
Wolf Song opened his eyes at the sound of the voices. Nobody seemed overly excited as they spoke. Wolf Song laid his head on Mr. Dawg’s shoulders while he watched Ella and Johnny leave. He silently hoped Scarlet would not leave him alone with the soldier.
Watching for a moment he worked up the courage to speak to the man in the soldier’s coat.

“You come to kill us?” Wolf Song asked in the best English he knew.

Scarlet had moved over to check on Blue Feather and looked up in surprise when she heard the boy’s soft voice. Even in the dim light she could see Wolf Song was looking Fritz in the eyes.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 10:24:41 AM »

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2005, 06:15:54 PM »
Fritz looked down at the boy.  "No," he replied.

Wolf song looked at him intently.  "You a soldier."  It wasn't a question.  It was a statement of fact.

"For a long time now."  Fritz unbuckled his gunbelt and liad it on the ground.

Wolf Song sat up.  Slowly.  "Then you come to kill us." 

Dawg watched the conversation, his eyes moving between them.

Fritz unbuttoned the worn greatcoat, exposing his badge.  "I work for the Marshal now."

The boy smiled, recognition in the corners of his eyes.  "You are Yellow Sleeve!  I know of you."

Both Scarlet and Fritz were taken aback.  Scartlet spoke first.  "How do you know him?"

Wolf Song smiled again.  "You come to talk for us now?"

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2005, 11:10:36 PM »
“Ella would say you should be resting and Little Fox would say you need to practice your English.” Scarlet said quietly with half a smile as she moved between the two boys so she could watch Blue Feather and listen to what Wolf Song had to say.

Wolf Song’s eyes held a mischievous look, Scarlet knew all to well, as he shrugged his shoulders as if to say he knew but it didn’t matter.

“I will insist you at least lay down.” She said sitting next to him.

Wolf Song shook his head up and down then positioned himself so he could see them both while he laid back and began to quietly speak as not to wake Blue Feather.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2005, 03:04:45 PM »
"A man came and visited my father and Grey Eagle. They spoke of the pony soldiers and of the white men. Red Hand spoke of a friend who once rode with the pony soldiers. He left them to follow a wild spirit who wore a star.

Father asked him if the wild spirit had hair the color of the sun and rode a horse the color of darkness. When he said yes, Grey Eagle said he’d seen this soldier with his friend.” Wolf Song pointed at Scarlet and yawned. “They spoke of how the soldier would speak on behalf of the people and the other white men would listen.” Wolf Song’s voice grew softer and he spoke slower. “Red Hand called him Yellow Sleeve.” Were the last words he said before slipping off into his own dreams.   

"Apparently Wolf Song has good ears when his father speaks of things he finds interesting." Scarlet said softly as she pulled the blanket up around him.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2005, 09:46:24 PM »
He hadn't thought about the vision in awhile.  He'd been too busy with life.  Maybe he'd just been feeling sorry for himself.  Fritz thought back to the night he'd told Scarlet...

They lay in each other's arms, their passion expended.  She looked into his eyes, and traced a lazy circle on his chest.  With a grin she asked, "a penny for your thoughts?"

Fritz encircled her hand in his.  "The day I was wounded, I had a vision."

Scarlet propped herself on her elbow.  "Really?  Tell me."

"I met your friend Grey Eagle.  He showed me a battle.  More indians than I've ever seen.  More than you could count."

She spoke softly.  "Tell me more, Darlin'."

"There were soldiers too.  Cavalry.  I saw the guidons fall."

She could tell the vision bothered him.

"Scarlet," Fritz added, "what Grey Eagle said made sense.  His people die, my people die, and for what?"

She laid her head on his chest.  "He said you would speak for his people, didn't he?"     

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2005, 11:12:38 PM »
His silence didn’t go unnoticed to Scarlet while she checked on Blue Feather. She could tell Fritz was thinking about something and she was pretty sure she knew what.

Scarlet slipped her hand into his and they stepped outside the tent. The night was clear and cold. “Grey Eagle is a good ally to have and he has always been a good judge of people.”

She smiled thinking of the first time he’d seen Fritz. Grey Eagle always asked a lot of questions when he could. He’d not been impressed there was a soldier so close to his home when he’d seen the posse ride into Devil’s mountain. He’d asked her many questions about the people she’d led into the mountain but the soldier held his interest. At first he feared Fritz would bring the others like him back to search for them. She knew the posse had been watched from the time they entered the mountain until the time they departed.

Scarlet had meet Grey Eagle along the river some days later where he told her he thought the warriors that rode with her were pure of heart and good people who were destined for big things.

“Someday you two should take the time to know one another. Maybe I should take you with me when I go down to the river to meet with him.” 

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2005, 09:12:06 PM »
He looked up at the stars.  "When I was on patrol, I didn't take time to enjoy them.  They were good for navigation, but I never saw their beauty."  Fritz looked at his love.  "You helped me with that."

"You're welcome," Scarlet replied.  "Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, you were meant for something greater than you are?"

"All I've been thinking about is the end of my career.  I've been a soldier so long, I'm afraid it's all I'll ever be good for."

She touched his face.  "I've heard it said, that when one door closes, another opens.  Maybe this is your door."

Fritz kissed her hand.  "I'll only go through if you go with me."

They'd wait together for the dawn, and see what it brought.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2005, 10:54:39 PM »
Rebecca had curled close to Tensleep saying nothing not wanting to interrupt whatever he had been thinking.

She remembered her first husband. He had gone to hunt for food and come home draped over Black Wolf’s horse.  They had been married about three months. The pain of the loss had been terrible to bear, maybe that is why she had not let herself become close to another man until Tensleep. Maybe she had too many secrets and had not trusted a man enough to share her life with until now.  She also knew this feeling of fear was part of being the marshal’s wife and she would just have to learn to deal with it.

Rebecca couldn’t wait for dawn to come to get the boys out of there yet she feared leaving the side of the man she loved.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2005, 09:28:14 PM »
Tensleep took his blanket and covered Rebecca then slipped in beside her. Her head rolled to his shoulder and she snuggled closer. He reached his arm over and held her feeling her warmth. It was easy to imagine spending the rest of his life like this, but first he needed for her to get used to the fact that he had a job to do.

Thoughts of what was coming tomorrow filled his mind as sleep captured him.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2005, 09:12:31 PM »
Combined effort of Fritz & Scarlet

Johnny had the wagon hitched by the time the first rays of light peeked across the Texas sky. He brought the team to a stop outside of the tent where the two boys were and hopped down and walked over to where Rebecca, Scarlet and Fritz were standing.

“Have you figured out who it is that is out there watching us?” Johnny asked looking in the same direction they were. One could barley make out the horse and rider in the distance.

Fritz had spotted movement on the horizon not long ago. What ever it was stayed at a distance and after what seemed like eternity they could finally tell it was a man on a horse.

“It’s Grey Eagle.” Scarlet said.

Rebecca looked for a moment longer. “I think so too.”

“He wouldn’t be out there alone.” Fritz said with a slight questioning in his voice.

“Doubtful.” Johnny paused. “He knows who we are. That’s why we can see him. I’m sure there’s a group on the other side that are with him.”

Becca looked at Scarlet. “Which one of us is going out there?”

“I’ll go.” Scarlet said moving towards Lucky.

“Me too.” Becca said following after her.

Fritz moved to follow but felt Johnny’s hand on his shoulder. “It was always hard for me to watch her ride into the arms of someone who I have always been told is an enemy. I have seen Grey Eagle fight, while I a cautious of my own life around him I do trust him with hers.”

The two men looked at one another for a moment. Johnny knew there was something else on Fritz’s mind. He also knew Fritz was strong willed like Scarlet and experience told him saying “no” would most often fall on deaf ears once their mind was made up.

“If you do go remember no matter how many of ‘em you see on the down side of that hill move slow and don’t draw your weapon. Don’t show fear or anger and don’t say anything unless you are spoken to.”  Johnny said removing his hand.

Fritz unbuttoned the greatcoat, handing it over to Johnny.  "Give it to the boy.  It'll keep him warm.  And give this to Bo," he said, passing the Winchester.

The air was crisp as he mounted buddy.  Johnny handed up the carbine sling and the Trapdoor. 

"You remember what I said, you hear?"

Fritz slipped the sling over his shoulder.  "I will."

The women were about fifty yards ahead.  Fritz closed the gap.   

Grey Eagle turned his horse to face the oncoming riders.

Scarlet slowed Lucky to a walk before she reached him. Rebecca stopped about 20 yards from Grey Eagle and put her hand down for Fritz to do the same.

Scarlet and Grey Eagle grasped one another at the wrist in greeting. He didn’t have to ask, Scarlet just started to tell him what she knew and the boys were safe, she paused before telling him about the death of Black Wolf’s brother.

The three riders with Grey Eagle could be easily seen from where Becca and Fritz had stopped. “They are a search party.” Rebecca said softly to Fritz. “She is telling him what has happened.”

Grey Eagle listened agreeing when Scarlet told him she would bring the body back to him. When she started to speak about taking the boys back to the Starr the tension started to build. The group of riders that were with Grey Eagle began to speak. It was obvious Scarlet and Grey Eagle were trying to ignore what they were saying and civilly discuss the situation.

Rebecca didn’t translate what the others said but Fritz had a pretty good idea it wasn’t something good by the tones of their voices.

Scarlet and Grey Eagle were in the middle of talking about why the boys shouldn’t be taken back to their own home when Rebecca couldn’t stand it any more. She stopped in mid sentence and rode forward.

“It could kill Blue Feather to try to get him to the camp and it wouldn’t do Wolf Song any good either, they need to go back to the Starr.”

Grey Eagle glared at her outburst. “He not your son not your decision.” He growled in English.

Rebecca stopped short and was about to say something else when one of the Comanche broke from their group and approached Fritz, riding in circles around him yelling. The other two braves began to whoop.

Scarlet tensed but her eyes never left Grey Eagle’s who was now watching Fritz with interest. 
He'd been around indians most of his adult life.  This brave was showing his friends how tough he was.  Fritz kept his right hand in his reins, the left resting on the front of his saddle tree.

The pommel holsters were in reach if need be.

The young warrior pulled a stick from his belt.  Fritz had heard it once called 'counting coup.'  The stick moved in a wicked arc, swinging towards his face.  Fritz's left hand came up fast, catching the tip before it hit his cheek.  He locked eyes with the brave.  For a moment he saw fear, and indecision.

Fritz shook his head slowly.  "No," he said, lowering their arms.  He released the tip, and put his hand back on the saddle tree.   

Grey Eagle looked at the man.  He'd seen him before.  His vision was strong.

"He mean no hurt you."

Fritz said, "I no touch him, he no touch me."  Grey Eagle was more imposing in person.

Fritz rode forward slowly to the young brave.  Switching the reins to his left hand, he extended his right to the man.

The brave watched Fritz closely unsure of how to react. He had been with his brothers when they had fought the whites, yet he had seen them also treated as friends. He knew both women and finally decided if this man rode with them and Grey Eagle had not questioned his presence he must be one they would call friend.

The brave put his hand to his chest and held his head proud “Angry Bull.”  Then slowly reached for Fritz’s hand.

He smiled, and took the hand.  "Fritz."

Angry Bull looked puzzled.  "Fer-itz?"

"No," Grey Eagle interrupted.  His voice sounded like it came from the bottom of a cave.

"He Yellow Sleeve."

Suddenly all eyes fell upon him.  Fritz didn't know whether to be honored...

...or concerned.

The two braves that had stayed at a distance were now talking between them and looking at Fritz.

Angry Bull’s eyes twinkled. He was pleased with the decision he had made to take the hand that was offered. He looked for somebody how could interpret for him as he knew very little English. His eyes fell on Rebecca who was the closest to them.

She smiled as she listened then looked at Fritz. “He wants to know if you prefer to be called by your given name Yellow Sleeve or your nick name Fritz.”

Fritz laughed.  He had no idea how to say his name in Comanche.  The men knew how to say Yellow Sleeve.

"I'd be honored to be called by my Comanche name," Fritz replied.

Rebecca translated Fritz’s words for Angry Bull.

“Yellow Sleeve.” He said shaking Fritz’s hand one more time.

Rebecca’s attention went back to Scarlet and Grey Eagle, agitation could be heard in both their voices. Before Becca could tell Fritz what was being said Grey Eagle moved his horse towards Fritz.

“Wolf Song and Blue Feather go with Little Fox you stay with Grey Eagle.”

Scarlet spun Lucky around “NO.” she growled.

Grey Eagle stopped his back went rigid. He looked over at her and spoke in his own language.

“It is not a matter of trust Grey Eagle.” She spat back in English. “The soldiers will come and they will NOT listen to me. They may not listen to him but there is a better chance of it.”

Grey Eagle sat looking at her. He knew she was right.

“What I tell Black Wolf?”

“Tell him I will make sure the boys are protected just as you would. Little Fox will be with them and she will make sure one of our strongest warriors helps protect them.”

Grey Eagle took a deep breath. He knew Scarlet was just as stubborn as he was, they could keep at this all day long and get nowhere. She’d told him she expected the soldiers to come and he didn’t want them to know he’d been there.

“I will meet Longknife at the river.” He said to Scarlet then looked at Fritz.

“Will soldiers listen to your words?”

"Scarlet is right," Fritz replied.  "They may listen to me.  They WON'T listen to anybody else."

Grey Eagle nodded.  "You give your word."

Fritz extended his arm.  "No harm will come to them.  I swear it."

Grey Eagle took his forearm.  "Then go."

Rebecca looked over at Scarlet as they rode back to camp. “He never listens to me.”

“He thinks you are to emotionally involved.” Scarlet replied.

Rebecca snorted and kicked her horse ahead.

When they reached the camp Ella was helping Johnny get Blue Feather aboard the wagon.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2005, 11:09:33 AM »
Once both boys were settled in the wagon, Ella handed a sheet of paper to Becca, "Here are the care instructions to give Rose.  Blue Feather's temperature is probably going to rise with the sun.  You won't be able to do anything about it until you get him to the Starr.   I alreasy dosed him with salicylate, and hope that will keep the fever from getting too high.  I'll be there tonight, assuming we can get all the troopers moved." 

Johnny had the body draped over Cloud and Cloud tied to the back of the wagon.  Everything was ready for them to leave.
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2005, 03:07:09 PM »
Rebecca walked over to Tensleep. Smiling up at him she wrapped her arms around him tightly and kissed him then stepped back and placed her hand on his chest. “You be careful ya hear.” Her smile although loving told him she was worried.

Rebecca passed Scarlet on the way back to the wagon. “Trade me.” She said unbuckling the gun belt Scarlet had given her earlier.

“You bring him back in one piece Scarlet.” Rebecca said as the two exchanged belts.

“I’ll do my best.” Scarlet said buckling on her belt.

Rebecca climbed on the wagon but didn’t look back as the team moved off at a fair clip.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2005, 07:33:59 PM »
Combined effort of Tensleep and Scarlet

As the wagon rolled away Tensleep stepped over to Scarlet. "Found the trail.... and something else."
He held his fist out and slowly opened it as she looked down. Her eyes widened a bit.
"Mornin' sun hit it just right, when I picked it up I could see faint tracks while I was down low. Led me to a spring about five hundred yards away, hidden in them mesquite trees. That's where the hosses was kept...."
"Blue Feather kept talking about a man with white hair and white eyes. Ya know anybody that would fit such a description?" Scarlet asked picking the silver object up out of his hand and turning it over while she looked at it.

Tensleep thought for a minute. "Yep... well heard of him at least. Half Mex, half whatever... called Blanco. Read a report about a raid on a small hacienda over in New Mexico. Seems that two kids had been playing away from the house and yard, the Comancheros missed them. Kids saw what happened. Said that this Blanco was the worst of the worst. Killin', rapin', said he just walked up and tore ah baby out of his mother's arms and smashed his head then shot the mother. Sounds like an hombre muy mal."

"They become the worst of the worst when they hit home Tensleep. All of 'em trying to out do the one that came before him." She placed the silver rowel back in his hand. "Those kinda people used to scare me." She said softly looking off into the distance. "Now it's just an irritating feeling that falls into some empty cold spot that sorta leaves me ill while it heightens every other sense I have." She looked over at him. "I've known a few like him. Somehow I don't think we'll be lucky enough to walk into the cantina, catch him off guard 'n blow his heart all over the bar. He's going to make us work ta catch him."
"So do you know if he's the type that has moved on or is he out there watching us?" She asked.

"He's out there... he wouldn't have left anybody alive if he didn't have something in mind. My guess is that he wants the army in the field. He must need guns or horses or something." Tensleep chewed on his pipestem for a minute. "Might want the army away from the fort for some reason. Wonder what kinda guns they got stockpiled at that fort?"
"Fritz be better one to answer that than me. Lookin' to borrow something?" Scarlet said with a look that said good luck.
"I thought that too Scarlet. Naw, not really, don't want to borrow anything, just interested in what it might be that Blanco wants." The Marshal was looking out onto the plain.
"Man that is usta killin' doan do it, that tells me that he has some reason."

"If I was gonna sneak into the fort I'd go alone, maybe one other and it would be to take the life of an enemy or free someone outta their jail. If one was to be after guns you'd have to take a wagon or bring one out at least. To do something like that I would want most of the troops in the field. Unless you thought they'd bring the particular gun you were looking for." Scarlet sighed "We'll be sitting right in the middle o' that mess ya know."

"Kinda what I was thinkin'. We need to find ah place where we kin get up some an' take ah look at tha lay o' tha land. Know anyplace like that 'round here?" Tensleep's eyes were sweeping the land.

"How far you want to see and what ya particularly looking for? There are a few good tall trees. I don't know what you could see from the mountain. On a clear day you can see the fort from there. There's a few spots of high ground round here."

"I'd like to see tha fort an' what's around. Let's find a tree first."

Scarlet was about to say something when they both spotted the dust from a group of riders.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2005, 07:31:24 PM »
The patrol moved up in column of twos.  Both the guidon and the colors were unfurled.  Their pace was slow and easy, as if they had nothing to worry about.  Fritz noticed the mountain howitzer and the Gatling gun bringing up the rear.  He wondered if it was the same one he “borrowed” some months back.  Leading the column was a young Captain.  “Fields...he must’ve been in grade school during the war,” Fritz thought.

“Prepare to dismount!”  The command was echoed by the NCO’s down the line.  “Dismount!”  The men moved smartly, like on the parade field.  They hadn’t been out long enough to be tired.  They were all young and fresh.

The Captain strode purposefully to the perimeter.  “Sergeant King, front and center!”

Fritz moved forward without thinking.  Immediate obedience to orders…

He rendered a proper salute, which was briskly returned.  Captain Fields said, “I’m here to take custody of your prisoners.”

“There are no prisoners sir,” Fritz replied.  “Just wounded.”

“Nonsense.  There are some savages mixed in with the ranks.  I intend to take them back to the fort for interrogation.”

“Sir,” Fritz began.  “They’re boys.  They’re not even old enough to go out on a war party.”

“Nonetheless, you will surrender your prisoners to me now.”

Fritz was growing angry.  “Sir, I gave my word that these children would not be harmed…that they would be taken back to the Southern Star and cared for.”

“That was your mistake,” Fields quipped.

‘Sleep had been listening, and slowly making his way over.  “Can I do something’ for you Cap’n?”

The Captain turned in his saddle.  “No, Marshal.  I’ve ordered Sergeant King to surrender his prisoners to me.”

‘Sleep walked up to Field’s horse.  “There ARE no prisoners.  And if there were, Fritz has no authority to surrender them to ANYONE but me.”

The Captain’s hand slowly moved toward his holster.  “We could TAKE your prisoners, of course.”

‘Sleep’s hand rested on the butt of his Colt.  “You could try.  Just know that you’ll be the first one to die.”

Captain Fields mulled over the words a moment, slowly moving his hand back to the reins.

“Sergeant Carter!”

At that, a young noncom walked over.  He stood a pace to the left and to the rear and rendered a salute.  “Sir,” he replied.

“Sergeant Carter, place Sergeant King under arrest.”

Scarlet had finally had enough.  She stepped forward and said, “On what charge?”

“Failure to obey a lawful order.  Take his weapons.”

Her Colts left their holsters hammers cocked.  The muzzles were inches from the Captain’s face.

“You’re not taking him,” Scarlet growled.

Fritz put his hand out, and lowered the muzzles.  “Scarlet…don’t.”

She looked at him as if in shock.  He unbuckled his prairie belt, handing it to her.  Fritz unhooked the carbine from its sling, passing it over as well.  “I’ll go with you, on one condition,” he said.

“Name it.”

“That you allow these people to escort the wounded back to the Southern Star unmolested.”

“Done.  Now, get on your horse.”

Fritz mounted Buddy, and turned towards the column.  Scarlet grabbed his reins.  “Why are you doing this?”

Fritz leaned down and kissed her.  “I’m keeping my word.  Make sure the boys get home safe.”

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2005, 07:40:41 PM »
She wanted to tell Fritz he’d just made a deal with a snake. She wanted to tell him her job of making sure the soldiers got anywhere safe was that of the Cap’n and his troops.

Scarlet’s feelings were twisted up with thinking whoever rode with patrol would be a target of the outlaws. After taking a moment to bury feelings, logic told her it would be better if they didn’t have to worry about the wounded while they were under attack, not that Fields would. In her current state of mind it was best to say nothing so she just turned and walked away.

As Scarlet passed him the Captain spoke.“When Colonel Troutman told me there was going to be a wedding, I have to admit I was curious to know who was foolish enough to try and fill Travis Corbin’s boots.”

Scarlet stopped briefly. “You were a pathetic excuse for a man and you are an even more pathetic excuse for a soldier.” She sneered then continued to pass.

The suppressed amused look from the man on his right didn’t go unnoticed by the Captain.

His mind raced. He had tried to force her before to take him to the Indians. That was before the army, the mob he had ridden with didn’t like going to the C-C. Travis Corbin was too respected, or feared, depending on who you were, amongst the men he had been with then. Now was different, these were his men. He had Fritz, disarmed at that, he had leverage in the situation. Nobody here was big enough to pick him up and crush him like Travis had, something his ribs reminded him of every cold morning.

He stepped off his horse and covered the ground between them in long strides as he thought about picking her up and putting her on her horse and making her go with them.

“I need someone to scout…” He said as he put out his hand to grab her by the shoulder.

She stopped short and spun to face him almost causing them to collide.

“Don’t” She growled.

He wasn’t sure if it was the tone of her voice, which sounded like a cornered animal to him, or the look that could have frozen the flames of hell, which caused him to jerk back his hand and take a step back to put a bit of distance between them.

Scarlet had been irritated by the way the man had ridden in and handled the situation the way he had. His move towards her made her temper flash.

“If you touch me, I will view it as an act of aggression. Rest assured I WILL defend myself and I doubt you will be as lucky as you were before.” She growled between gritted teeth.

He didn’t like the fact she had now insulted him more than once in front of his men who he knew without looking were all eyes and ears.

“Miz Corbin, you have a total lack of respect for the army. I was only going to ask your help in the situation.” He said trying to remain calm.

Her look told him she knew he was lying. “No, you’re wrong there. It’s not the army I have a problem with. It’s you. Your father was a good man, a good soldier. You must be such a disappointment to him.”

Andrew Fields clinched his jaw tight as Scarlet continued.

“The Corporal that rode with the men that lye in that tent was a good soldier. There are others that lye in there.” She said pointing her finger towards the tent “that are good soldiers.”

“These men I speak of would have at least asked about their fallen comrades. Would have said thank you to the woman who puts her life in danger for them and stayed up all night making sure they didn’t suffer and die.”

She looked him up and down as she circled him. “You on the other hand, ride in here dragging your big guns, no help for the fallen, only hoping to take prisoners, and since you can’t find Indians to take back you arrest one of your own. You don’t even know who did this, nor have you taken the time to inquire.”

The Captain stood in shock mostly. He was used to pats on the back for jobs well done. He was used to being chewed on too, but this, this was somehow different.

“You, Captain Andrew Fields.” She said coming to stop looking him in the eyes again “are a disgrace to that uniform.”

“Very well executed personal attack.” He retorted.

Scarlet stepped up so the were nearly touching, her voice low. “Here’s the personal part Andrew. The people that did this, we kind of figure are after the guns you have with you. Hell, maybe they know you because you are predictable. If they attack your patrol and Sergeant King dies because of your piss pour judgment. My suggestion, if you do not die with them, is to take that service revolver, put it in your mouth and pull the trigger.”  She stepped off leaving the Capt. there to mull over his thoughts.

Passing Sergeant Carter, Scarlet stopped and handed up the belt and the carbine Fritz had given her. “If you are attacked at least have the decency to let him try to defend himself.”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2005, 12:33:22 PM »
Ella had come out from the hospital tent on hearing the patrol arrive and witnessed the arrest of Fritz.  "Why did that officer think there were supposed to be prisoners here?" she wondered.  She doubted that Fritz would have mentioned the boys to Colonel Troutman.

Good thing that Johnny and Becca had left at first light, and that they had taken the man's body as well, so that Grey Eagle had gone.  The last thing this situation needed was for Grey Eagle and his companions to run into this patrol.

It didn't look like the patrol included any assistance for her, so she returned to the tent and continued changing dressings.  Once the wounded were settled at the Starr, she would be able to take a nap. 
Elegant Ella

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2005, 07:40:45 PM »
Fritz smiled.  “Good girl,” he thought.  The longer Scarlet delayed the patrol, the more likely the others would make it back to the Star safely.  By the way she spoke to Fields, it was obvious he and Scarlet had history.  He’d have to ask her about it sometime...if they ever let him out of the stockade.

His pride wounded, Captain Fields made his way back to his mount.  “Prepare to mount...MOUNT!”

Fritz fell in at the rear of the column, just ahead of the artillery.  The troopers who rode the mounts controlling those pieces were no more than kids.  The one towing the Gatling turned to look at him.

“Are you old enough to shave?” Fritz asked.  The boy blushed and turned away. 

The trooper pulling the howitzer asked “who the hell are you?”

Fritz shook his head.  “Does your mommy know you’re wearing a soldier suit?”

“I wouldn’t run my mouth so reckless if I was you.  You’re not heeled.”

He had a point, but Fritz didn’t care.

“Forward...YO!!!”  The patrol moved out.

He looked at Scarlet.  She blew him a kiss.

Captain Fields was furious.   

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2005, 07:53:51 PM »
They took a circuitous route back to the fort.  Going overland would be much quicker.  Captain Fields had, in Fritz’s opinion, erred in taking the artillery pieces along.  His “show of force” had impeded the march, where speed was of the essence.  An experienced officer would’ve known this.

Fields dropped back as the column advanced.  “So, how does it feel riding in the back?”

Fritz looked over.  “Not bad, really.”  He knew Fields had meant it as an insult, but it was nice being in the company of soldiers once again.  Additionally, it put someone with experience near two valuable pieces of ordnance.

“You know you’re riding to the stockade, don’t you?”

Fritz smiled.  “You’re welcome.”

Fields was confused.  “What do you mean?”

“By coming in with you,” Fritz replied, “I probably saved your life.  If I hadn’t stopped her, Scarlet would’ve killed you.”

“That woman is a cold-hearted assassin,” Fields said.

“Then you obviously don’t know her.  She’s the kindest, gentlest, most giving soul I’ve ever met.  She saved my soul when there was no hope left in me,” Fritz said.  “She’s also the most passionate woman I’ve ever known.  I’m a very lucky man.”

“She’ll break your heart!  That’s what she does!”

“We’ll agree to disagree on this point.”

Disgusted, Captain Fields rode to the head of his column.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com