Author Topic: Shortening a 76 rifle  (Read 13909 times)

Offline Sloan Dodgy

• Soot Janitor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Shortening a 76 rifle
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »
Me three, I'd love to see pictures!  I really like the round barrel button magazine '76s I've seen and wondered about just such a change on one of the new ones.  The half round ought to be a peach!

Offline Leverluver

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 04:50:45 PM »
Good show  ;)  Ya beat me to it.  That's the same thing I'm going to do to mine.  And it's not just the 1.5 pound reduction.  The center of gravity will move to the rear a lot and that will make it seem like even more weight was removed.  I'm also going to do a 22" short rifle on the same action.  After playing with both, I'll decide which I prefer.  Actualy, I think Teddy's was a four round magazine.  It sure appears to me that he had the forearm shortened (like the short rifle).  You can sort of tell by the points where the forearm checkering ends.  On the standard forearm, there is more gap between the point where the checkering ends and the actual edge of the forearm wood.  On his, the checkering runs nearly to the ends of the forearm.  It may be just an optical illusion but it sure looks that way to me, i.e., standard checkering pattern but on shorter wood.  Like you though, I don't think the standard forearm looks bad at all on a 24" barrel.  I will wait until there are some spare part forearms in the pipeline before I go chopping one off for the short rifle.     

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »
Leverluver,
    If you shorten the forend, you will expose the nosecap support which is dovetailed into the barrel. This may be the deciding factor:can you finish this well enough to allow you to cut the forend? I have my reservations.
    By the way, my mag. holds 5 rds. and Teddy's rifle has a 28" barrel.
                                                                             J.L.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:08:18 AM »

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 07:36:37 PM »
Here's Joe's rifle.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline Leverluver

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 08:57:37 PM »
Joe

You're absolutely correct that you couldn't "modify" our current rifles for a shorter forearm for the exact reasons you mentioned.  It still looks to me like Teddy's is shorter than standard which it would mean it was manufactured that way.  Again,, it just may be an optical illusion but also again, the checkering just doesn't jive. I might ask Turnbull as he measured the original.  If I do the shorter forearm it will be with a new round barrel and I can put the nose cap dovetail where ever I need it to go.  BTW, beautiful rifle and the 24" with the standard forearm and button mag looks very symmetrical or correct or whatever the word is I'm lookin for.  It's twin will be up and running pretty soon  ;D  FYI, I just optical scoped the barrel off the 76.  I wanted to make sure that it was good before I put the extra money in it.  I've scoped a lot of barrels in the last ten years and I'd say (except for a small flaw at the muzzle that will be cut off anyway), this barrel ranks in the top 10% as far as quality and freedom from machine and tooling marks.  I was pleased and impressed.       

Offline Sloan Dodgy

• Soot Janitor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 07:37:48 AM »
Thanks Hobie!  And another view or two:

Nice work Joe!

PS: Also note that if you right-click the image that Hobie put up you can "view image" and it can be expanded into a very nice larger picture of the whole rifle.

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 08:06:17 AM »
Thanks Pards for posting the picts. To dress up my rifle I had the side plate hand engraved with my initials in period style. Sorry, no pictures yet. I bought a spare plate while I was waiting for the work to be done, so I could keep on shooting. Anyone interested in buying it, please send me an E-mail.

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 08:37:08 AM »
Looks great! Now I have another excuse to buy another gun! (like I need any excuse....) I'd get some stain on that wood to match the original color , then you'll be set.
 Does the turned round part follow the original taper of the barrel, or is it straight? Can't tell from the picture.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 06:04:38 PM »
It follows the taper.  It was turned down by Whitacre's Machine Shop, a maker of fine Civil War barrels.

When the rifle was completed I sent a letter and pictures to Chaparral in Connecticut suggesting they may want to consider offering a lighter, more user friendly rifle, particularly for hunters. 

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 02:27:22 PM »
Joe
That is what I want to have done to my barrel . But I want to keep the full magazine tube . That is a great looking rifle and I bet it carries like a champ . If we all keep telling the gun Companies what we want maybe they will make them ?????? and YES we want a 24 in. barrel .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com