CAS TOPICS > CAS FAQ

Shooting Fast

(1/4) > >>

Prof. Bullspit:
I've been shooting CAS for less than a year. I had done a lot of informal shooting prior to my CAS involvement but I have to say that all of that shooting emphasized accuracy.

When I started shooting CAS I found I could hit all the targets with not too much problem but I wasn't fast. I finally had to accept that to score better I had to shoot fast enough to risk missing an occasional shot, while trying not to miss.

How do you gain speed?

Doc Shapiro:
Gaining speed is something that we'll all be fighting with as long as we shoot competitively.  Kanada Kidd says you have to practice shooting fast in order to shoot fast.  He's right.  Take the misses.  Your eyes will eventually catch up with the pace you are shooting.  Though it might take a while.

You have to train your eyes to see faster.  You can snap them back and forth between distant and close objects and between objects that are far apart laterally.  This will help them get used to different focal lengths and moving.  Your eyes drive the shooting. 

You have to be aware of the sights and the target.  This doesn't mean that you need a precise sight picture.  It means that you have to see what you need to see to get the lead on the target.

Follow?

Doc

Prof. Bullspit:
I think I follow. I think I might worry too much about perfecting the sight picture, that's what I trained myself to do. I think I follow about "seeing faster" as a way to speed up.

Thanks for the tips. I've watched your shotgun tips video on your website a bunch of times and it has helped me with that aspect of getting faster.

Advertising:

Klondike:
What Doc says has a lot of merit and truth. One thing that is not talked about much is you must think fast as well as see fast. If you think the stage or sequence through slowly, you will probably shoot it slower. Granted you have to get the sequence in your mind first, but you have to think it at speed before you shoot it. Computers don't allow a good example but I will try: Nevada Sweep three targets left to right:
Slow:
1---2---3---2---1
Fast:
Does that make ant sense?Think it through at the speed you want to shoot.

Brazos Bucky Smith:
Thanks Klondike and Doc,

both threads are informative and yeah I get the timing idea! 8) Something I would not have thought of while praciticing the stage.  I will try it at our sept. shoot. ;D

BB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version