Author Topic: Show Off Your Non-Cowboy Stuff Here  (Read 413632 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Show Off Your Non-Cowboy Stuff Here
« Reply #960 on: June 07, 2022, 08:51:41 AM »
Thank you Marshal. Took me a bit but I think I have finally found a swivel knife that I like best.

The first was a Hobby Lobby cheap knife. Honestly, its horrible.
Then I bought a Duane Watts and it is a good knife. Only the blade swivels. Maybe with a straight blade I could get used to it more.
Then was the Craftool Pro. I like it also and was getting used to it but was making an order with Barry King so I went ahead and got his swivel knife with the 3/8" barrel and right away found it to feel very comfortable in the hand. The blades come super sharp already. Stropped it a little and it works like a charm. Now that I can cut maybe my stamping will improve to follow.
Good tools do make a difference. That Barry King swivel knife is probably as good as they can be. That's a purchase you will enjoy every time you pick it up.

For floral stamping, like on your knife sheath, I like a 4 oz mallet and for bigger stamps, like basket weaves and such, an 8 oz one. I used rawhide for years but eventually settled on synthetic ones. Both work great but I like the feel of the synthetic ones better. The secret is to find something that is comfortable for you.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #961 on: June 07, 2022, 09:01:40 AM »
Good tools do make a difference. That Barry King swivel knife is probably as good as they can be. That's a purchase you will enjoy every time you pick it up.

For floral stamping, like on your knife sheath, I like a 4 oz mallet and for bigger stamps, like basket weaves and such, an 8 oz one. I used rawhide for years but eventually settled on synthetic ones. Both work great but I like the feel of the synthetic ones better. The secret is to find something that is comfortable for you.

I have one of those Yellow hobby mauls but did pick up a 20oz Barry King round head maul also. Its heavier than the yellow one but not as heavy as my Craftool Maul which I think is around 2lbs.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #962 on: June 07, 2022, 09:14:21 AM »
I have one of those Yellow hobby mauls but did pick up a 20oz Barry King round head maul also. Its heavier than the yellow one but not as heavy as my Craftool Maul which I think is around 2lbs.
Here's the 8 oz one I got a few years ago. It's a cheapie but sure does the trick. The description says 10-1/2 oz but that includes the handle. The head weighs about 8 oz. The 4 oz one I made myself from a piece of UHMW I got off ebay because I couldn't find a synthetic one.

Edit: although not one I bought, I did a quick search and found this 4 oz one on Amazon if you were interested in trying a light one.

Advertising

« Reply #963 on: Today at 06:11:53 PM »

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #963 on: June 07, 2022, 10:04:34 AM »
Here's the 8 oz one I got a few years ago. It's a cheapie but sure does the trick. The description says 10-1/2 oz but that includes the handle. The head weighs about 8 oz. The 4 oz one I made myself from a piece of UHMW I got off ebay because I couldn't find a synthetic one.

Edit: although not one I bought, I did a quick search and found this 4 oz one on Amazon if you were interested in trying a light one.

Thats the yellow one I have. It works well and is the one I have used most often.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #964 on: June 07, 2022, 10:46:54 AM »
Thats the yellow one I have. It works well and is the one I have used most often.
Cool. It looks like the rawhide one I used to use. It had good balance.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #965 on: July 01, 2022, 04:39:36 PM »
My father came over and he had him a nice little Walther .22 pistol that he wanted a holster for. He didn't want anything fancy. Just something quick and easy and small.

I was able to use a piece of scrap I had and a few min later we had him a holster cut out. I sewed a very simple belt loop on the back, burnished the edges lightly, sewed up the pouch, wet molded it and let it dry for a while. Then I sprayed it with some Fiebings Saddle Lac and called it done. He was happy and it only cost me about an hours time spend with Dad.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #966 on: July 01, 2022, 05:07:00 PM »
Man, I envy you. I would give anything to have another hour with my Dad.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #967 on: July 01, 2022, 05:21:32 PM »
Looks really good, Rube. It suits that little PPK well.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #968 on: July 02, 2022, 07:20:17 AM »
Man, I envy you. I would give anything to have another hour with my Dad.

No truer word has been spoken

that's very nice holster too
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #969 on: July 03, 2022, 07:25:05 AM »
Thanks guys. I know how lucky I am to have him still. In 2003 while in his Police Car he had a massive heart attack. He called in for help and passed out. They treated it like an officer down situation and rushed him to the hospital which was about 40 min from his house. They shocked him 16 times to get him back. He should by all accounts be gone but he is still here. He has a defibrillator since then and I am happy for him to be alive and able to come visit me. He is currently down visiting for about a month.

;D

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #970 on: July 22, 2022, 07:15:01 AM »
This is a copy of a costrel - a medieval drink container - from the Mary Rose, Henry VIII's flagship.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #971 on: July 22, 2022, 09:01:29 AM »
That's fantastic, Skeet! I like it a lot. Did you seal the inside with Brewer's Pitch so it's as usable as the original?

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #972 on: July 22, 2022, 10:09:27 AM »
Thanks. Yes - brewer's pitch.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #973 on: July 22, 2022, 12:05:14 PM »
Very nice!  I didn't know those existed.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #974 on: July 22, 2022, 12:20:36 PM »
Thanks. Yes - brewer's pitch.
Outstanding. I've never worked with it but one of these days I'll have to give it a go.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #975 on: July 22, 2022, 01:07:31 PM »
Outstanding. I've never worked with it but one of these days I'll have to give it a go.

I am always learning something from the guys here. I had never heard of Brewer's Pitch until today. I just watched a couple of videos on it and now Im that much wiser. Thanks yall.

Great job on the project also.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #976 on: July 26, 2022, 09:52:27 PM »
Skeeter, that thing looks great.  I've never heard of a costrel, but I've actually heard of brewer's pitch.  I got a new canteen a few years back and had to wax the inside of it with Parafin.  Brewer's pitch works much better on leather though I hear.  I think I could get kicked out of the Norman Oklahoma Rennaissance Fair if I had that sucker full of Port when I showed up and empty an hour later.

Good work.
Later

Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #977 on: September 07, 2022, 07:26:10 AM »
So every year I celebrate International Talk Like A Pirate Day (September 19th) and I  drag my coworkers along (shanghai).   As part of that, beyond the pirate themed food, I collect for a local no-kill shelter.    As part of the collection for the last 5 years, I have made some leather items to raffle.   This year, it is just one item and it is not piraty, but will hopefully collect some doubloons.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #978 on: September 07, 2022, 08:43:11 AM »
That's pretty cool. It's fun to combine wood and leather. Nice work. Someone will be quite pleased. It would be nice to hear what it fetches, if you feel like posting back after the raffle.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #979 on: September 21, 2022, 08:03:20 AM »
Holiday is over.   Good turnout for pirates.    The raffle pulled in $290 in cash and probably another $60 in donated items and toys.   Had also thrown in some pirate coffee, hot sauce and cloth bag as other prizes.   Arrgh, the pups will be happy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com