CAS TOPICS > CAS FAQ

on using Lee dippers with Trail Boss

(1/3) > >>

N40W111:
Hi all...
New to CAS and just getting my guns.  I already have a Cimarron P Jr. in .38 and a Marlin 1894C in .357.  I have a little Lee Loader (the little red box unit) in .38 special that I want to use to start my first reloadings.  I also have a box of 125 LRNFP cast bullets that I want to use.
Here's the question:
I also bought a bottle of Trail Boss powder but I can't seem to find a reliable data sheet for this powder using Lee dippers.  I'm kinda thinking that the .7 dipper with the 125 gr. might work but don't want to blow the gun.  Do any of you have a conversion chart for Lee dippers using Trail Boss?  Will I get an acceptable load with the above recipe?
Thanks.

Cyrille:
Never used "Trail Boss" in my reloads.  Mr. Lee in his book "Modern Reloading Second Edition" doesn't list "Trail Boss"
in his powder selections for your particlar loading. However Hodgedon does. Their 2008 Annual Manual Reloading has it listed on pg.161. I suggest you buy a scale either a balance type or electronic and weigh your charge(s).

Athena Jake:

--- Quote from: N40W111 on March 27, 2008, 11:53:38 AM ---I also bought a bottle of Trail Boss powder but I can't seem to find a reliable data sheet for this powder using Lee dippers.  I'm kinda thinking that the .7 dipper with the 125 gr. might work but don't want to blow the gun.  Do any of you have a conversion chart for Lee dippers using Trail Boss?  Will I get an acceptable load with the above recipe?
Thanks.

--- End quote ---

I have used the .7 dipper for .38 specials under a 130 grain bullet, and a good crimp using Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Loading data from Hodgson lower level specifies 3.0 grains.  The .7 dipper comes out a little higher, see the calculations below, and my scale confirmed this.

TB as it has been termed "little termite doughnuts" is hard to strike off of a dipper, and your loads may vary by as much as +/- .1 grain.  Now saying that, my friend and I have hit every thing the barrel was pointed at.  It is good for the CAS shooting.  Used this load in his Remington Conversions, and in a Rossi lever action with no ill effects.  He has even scored well shooting in a pistol competition for score (10 - 15 yards). 
Also known as we ain't out shooting the quality of this load!

Here is the VMD and calculation information for Trail boss:  (found here: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-220900.html)
IMR Trail Boss VMD is .2172
Multiply charge in grains by VMD for volume in CC

Example: 3 x .2172 = 0.6516

Your 0.7 CC dipper will get you about 3.22 grains of TB.
Full calculation is     .7 dipper / .2172 TB VMD = 3.2228360957642725598526703499079 grains

Trail boss reloading data:
http://www.imrpowder.com/trailboss.html

On Lee Precision's website, VMD data:
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/VMD'S.pdf

Advertising:

N40W111:
This info, gentlemen, is exactly what I was looking for.  I really appreciate the responses.  I just bought a Lee Hand Press this weekend and until I can buy some scales, I'm gonna just use the dippers to load with but didn't want to go ahead until I got some info. 
Much appreciated!

Athena Jake:
Glad to assist in the spread of knowledge.

Lord knows I have gained since I started reading, searching and asking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version