Author Topic: Sales of percussion conversions?  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
Re: Sales of percussion conversions?
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2024, 07:31:14 PM »
Let me get this straight:

1860 with drop-in cylinder + no loading port = not a firearm.

1860 with a loading port + no other modifications or changes = firearm.

No.

Or does installing the drop-in cylinder also make the non-firearm into a firearm by virtue of accepting metallic cartridges? Which means the loading port has nothing to do with it? Yes.

Cutting the loading port does not make a percussion gun into a firearm and there is nothing from the ATF saying it does.

The original Colt conversions (the fact that they're antiques not withstanding), along with those built by Howell, Millington and presumably Strite are "firearms" because their conversions are permanent and they cannot be converted back to percussion.
SASS #81,827

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2024, 10:37:20 PM »
Howdy (again) all,

This will be my last word on the subject and I am unanimous in this. What we have going on here is a difference of opinions. We are each entitled to our own. Not to put too fine a point on it, the only opinion that counts is/will be that of the BATF if they are ever directly involved in a specific circumstance. I for one have no interest in sitting down with them and pressing for an opinion. Some day, someone with this assembled collection of parts and pieces will find themselves in the clutches of the G Men and he will find out exactly what their opinion is. I pity that fellow.

To further muddy the waters, I believe some here have seen that there is often a lack of unanimity of opinion within that august organization; so, even then, you're still likely to find more than one opinion. While ignorance of the law is no excuse, I'd prefer not to risk my liberty to the ignorance of those who have to apply this particular area of the law.

I know that I started this discussion looking to confirm what I believed to be the case. Now, I feel like it is time for me to bow out as I don't think I have any solid evidence to further the discussion.

Respectfully,
Rev. Chase

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2024, 12:03:06 AM »
Some day, someone with this assembled collection of parts and pieces will find themselves in the clutches of the G Men and he will find out exactly what their opinion is. I pity that fellow.
And pray tell what law will have been violated???

None.

Federal law already accommodates that you can manufacture a firearm as an individual. You just can't sell one without a serial number. You can't make and sell them as a business without a license. All percussion revolvers have a serial number.

Those that are converted to accommodate a Kirst gated kit are technically still a percussion revolver when they are built and returned to the owner. They are shipped with the percussion cylinder in place and will function as a percussion revolver. The individual "manufactures" a firearm when they install the gated kit. If you later sell said firearm as a cartridge gun, it must be transferred through a dealer. The manufacturer already put a serial number on the gun. No need for ATF to be involved at all. Case closed.
SASS #81,827

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 03:08:17 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2024, 08:27:13 AM »
  I'm out.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2024, 09:36:31 AM »
 This poor horse has been beaten quite long enough.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com