Author Topic: 'Tin Star' Powder  (Read 10082 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'Tin Star' Powder
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:36:11 PM »
A friend gifted me with a pound of 'Tin Star' powder.

Anyone got loads using it in 44-40 and .45 Colt? I checked the maker's web site and couldn't find data. Seems 'Evil Roy' is using it, if that's a recommendation.

One wag on the net said it smelled like "baboon farts" as opposed to the chemical smell of Trail Boss. He uses the TB data for it.

So, if one is shooting 'mouse fart' loads with any other powder, you will step up to the odour of a primate by using Tin Star. John Wayne must be rolling over in his grave ....... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: 'Tin Star' Powder
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:25:16 AM »
Never heard of it, PJ.  Who makes it.  (I'll ask Mr. Google soon, too.)

;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:49:10 AM »
I assume you know this already, but just in case, be aware that it is not black powder.

There is data on their web site. Be aware when you look that it is actually called "N32C"  (Look at bottom of the label on the container)

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/7

Rick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:03:41 AM »

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »
It's Vihtavuori.  Lapua owns it.  I've never heard any bad comments about their powders,  but never had the opportunity to try it.  And it seems to be aimed squarely at Trail Boss.  Bulky, fluffy, single-base powder.  It'll do well in large cases.

From the Lapua/Viihtavouri website:

"We developed Tin Star specifically for Cowboy Action Shooting, knowing that you take this sport seriously. It is a single base nitrocellulose powder with certain properties that are similar to Black Powder, but with none of the unfavorable characteristics associated with that propellant. Tin Star is reliable, burns cleanly and has the bulk density you want for reloading the old original Black Powder cartridges. With Tin Star, you’ll have the ammunition you need to succeed in this demanding sport. The rest, is up to you."

Sounds like an interesting powder to try!  But I personally will probably stick with BP, not this fad smokeyless powder that probably won't last ...

::)

;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:06:41 PM »
I don't recall saying that I thought 'Tin Star' was a BP substitute. By that, it probably smokes a little, hence the reference to Baboon flatulence. And yes, I realize it's made by Vihtavuori, as it says on the label. No, it doesn't resemble the light, fluffy flakes of 'Trail Boss'.

The only published loads I could find were .38 Spl. and .45 ACP.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:21:27 PM »
I simply pointed out WHO the manufacturer was since you didn't mention it in your post.  I don't have the powder can in my hand.  And I'd say that it IS aimed at T/B because of it's case-filling properties, (not specifically the LOOK) vs. about any other well-used smokeyless propellent like Clays, Titegroup, Unique, Bullseye, Win 231, etc.

As to Baboon Flatulence/Fahrtz - I can't say.  Never smelled 'em!  ;)   I can't recall the smell of Trail Boss, either, but I sure know the heavenly scent of REAL BP!

;D

I don't recall that you mentioned it as a BP sub either, I think Rickk was just pointing that out so OTHERS wouldn't think so.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:52:56 PM »
PJ Hardtack,

Looks like they added to their list.

Now they have loads for 38, 357, 44 Spec., 44 Mag, and 45 Colt

Rick

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:11:59 PM »
Their powder to compete with Trailboss.  It is hard to find and very expensive.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 07:11:04 AM »
I first learned about "Tin Star" powder at a NRA Silhouette Championship this past summer from an ELEY ammunition /  Vihtavuori  representative.  

I had used Trail Boss in the past and was a bit intrigued by learning of this new "bulk" powder, but the cost to get a pound is a bit prohibitive since I would have to pay the $25 hazmat fee.

It does appear to have a similar ballistic strength to Trail Boss but apparently at lower pressures(?).  Unfortunately Vihtavouri did not show pressure data in their ballistic chart.   Comparing the ballistics on both powders, maximum loads for "Tin Star" develop 100-200 f.p.s. more than the max loads for "Trail Boss."

PJ Hardtack,
Nice friend.  ;D  If you have some "Trail Boss" powder, I would be interested and would appreciate the volume / weight comparison to "Tin Star". In other words, using the same setting on your powder measure, I am curious to what would each powder would weigh(?).

Thank you,
w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »
Ain't tried it yet - but I will ..... and I'll let ya know.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 08:07:48 AM »
Thank you.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com