Author Topic: SAA Old Model or Pre-War ?? What to do ...  (Read 10755 times)

Offline Sharky

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SAA Old Model or Pre-War ?? What to do ...
« on: February 01, 2018, 11:50:56 AM »
Guys,
          Just getting started in Cowboy Action Shooting and I know I don't want the " NEW " Hammer design on the Uberti guns but as of right now the Pietta Frontier is offered in Old Model and Pre-War with the old style hammer so NO crazy floating firing pin nonsense that Uberti has gone to. My question is should I be looking at the Old Model or the Pre-War  ? Pro's Vs Con's

Thanks in advance

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: SAA Old Model or Pre-War ?? What to do ...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »
  I talked to Chip at Cimarron a couple of weeks ago. He said as of right now, none of the Pietta's use the retracting firing pin and the Model P and Old Models made by Uberti. He gave the the exact model numbers of their firearms made by UbertI that still have the original type firing pins, but I've misplaced that info!

CHT

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:11:52 PM »
Howdy Sharky,
I answered on the SASS Wire, but for CHT will mention that all the Cimarron Old Model (BP frame) Model P's will retain the original firing pin and hammer for 2 years (so they are currently saying).  Also they are importing some of the Evil Roy competition models now with the Old Model frame so they also have the standard hammer.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:24:21 PM »

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
FYI - I just got off the phone with Longhunters.  I was wanting to buy an Old Model and was told that Cimarron just informed them at all new Old Model/BP frame guns now have the new firing pins.  :(

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 01:17:17 PM »
FYI - I just got off the phone with Longhunters.  I was wanting to buy an Old Model and was told that Cimarron just informed them at all new Old Model/BP frame guns now have the new firing pins.  :(

Sad news if that's true.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »

That's a genuine shame. At least my wife'll be happy; this puts the end to my plans to buy a few more BP Frame repros.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 02:31:12 AM »
That's a bummer if the Old Models have the retractable firing pin. You'd think anyone wanting an Old Model(key word being "old") with the screw in cylinder pin retainer would be willing to load 5 and put the hammer on an empty chamber. I can at least sort of understand the crosspin framed Model P having a retractable firing pin since the crosspin might be more likely to fail a drop test if the crosspin breaks.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 04:42:20 AM »
I have 3 - 2 BP frame  3 1/2 "  &  a 7 1/2"    and one Cross Pin. without retractable firing pins

I don't think I'll be ever in any market for a retractable firing pin model.  Might,  at some future juncture run across one without retractable firing pin, if'n' the price is right or the fancy suits me it might come home.

But I highly doubt, any New Uberti retractable firing pin model is in my future, nor would I knowingly buy one.

I don't think they ( like Transfer bars , tang safeties or two notch base pins )  are a particularly bad idea, they are just not for my liking.
I change or shorten my Base pins....don't own any Tang Safety or transfer bar models of any make.

From a bean counter &/or liability stand point, I'm glad Uberti/Beretta  is willing to continue to do the R&D and continue to support the Product line in safety ..... just not for me.   
I suspect Pietta will not be far behind....  and get ahead of any possible liability question in this day and age ....

my 2 cents .... and worth just that  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 07:00:17 AM »
I don't think they ( like Transfer bars , tang safeties or two notch base pins )  are a particularly bad idea, they are just not for my liking.

Exactly my thoughts. Just not for me.

I emailed Cimarron yesterday, and they confirmed that the Model P 'Old Models' will be made with retractable firing pins. The change over should be done by the middle of this year. So if you want one without the new firing pin then now is the time to get it.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 08:28:00 AM »
[quote author=Major 2 link=topic=60732.msg723413#msg723413 date=1520419340p
I don't think they ( like Transfer bars , tang safeties or two notch base pins )  are a particularly bad idea, they are just not for my liking.
I change or shorten my Base pins....don't own any Tang Safety or transfer bar models of any make.

From a bean counter &/or liability stand point, I'm glad Uberti/Beretta  is willing to continue to do the R&D and continue to support the Product line in safety ..... just not for me.   
I suspect Pietta will not be far behind....  and get ahead of any possible liability question in this day and age ....

[/quote]

I think all the safety devices are a terrible idea. We're reaching a point in our litigious society where devices are being designed to remove human error and negligence which in turn lessens, and in some cases eliminates our need to take safety as a personal responsibility.

CHT

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »
Been going down that road for a long time in this country. Damn zero radius lawnmower's got so many interlocks it won't hardly start. Gotta make '??' fool proof or else the fool that buys it hurts himself using it incorrectly and sues the maker for a defective product. Maybe a defective operator would be more correct.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 10:35:24 AM »
[quote author=Major 2 link=topic=60732.msg723413#msg723413 date=1520419340p

I think all the safety devices are a terrible idea. We're reaching a point in our litigious society where devices are being designed to remove human error and negligence which in turn lessens, and in some cases eliminates our need to take safety as a personal responsibility.

CHT

CHT.... It depends on your point of view....

It is a good Idea I suppose for the manufacturer, if they produce even in a draconian environment ....Massachusetts comes to mind,
will more follow suit ?  Ha,   I said LawSUIT !
and as you point out...
Remove human error and negligence ....
Which, If you consider Safety is not a bad thing... for some  ::) many...

However, I don't care for them (retracting firing pins,  Transfer bars , tang safeties or two notch base pins )
nor do It care for S&W's safety lock ....  or for that matter the LAW Card roll engraved on the firearm ( I:E: RUGER and others )

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »
Exactly my thoughts. Just not for me.

I emailed Cimarron yesterday, and they confirmed that the Model P 'Old Models' wil lbe made wih retractable firing pins. The change over should be done by the middle of this year. So if you want one without the new firing pin then now is the time to get it.

Hey thanks Jake!
As a result of your info I called Longhunters again.  Courtney re-checked with Taylor's and Cimarron.
She was able to obtain the 'old style' BP model and it's now on order!!  :P
Get 'em while you can, fellas!

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 11:58:21 AM »
Hey thanks Jake!
As a result of your info I called Longhunters again.  Courtney re-checked with Taylor's and Cimarron.
She was able to obtain the 'old style' BP model and it's now on order!!  :P
Get 'em while you can, fellas!

Glad you were able to get what you wanted! I would love to jump on one too, but I just finished paying off my Uberti '73 Sporting Rifle, so I'll need to wait a while before I can get something else.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 01:28:57 PM »

Best Hurry Up   :D   It ain't gonna be too long you won't be able to buy a car YOU can drive   :o

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »
Best Hurry Up   :D   It ain't gonna be too long you won't be able to buy a car YOU can drive   :o

They can take my car when they pry the steering wheel from my cold dead fingers.  :)

Offline quickdraw58

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »
I'm going to order a Cimarron 7th Cavalry model and contacted Cimarron this afternoon and was advised that this model does Not
have the retractable firing pin.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 12:13:35 PM »
OK, I just received a Cimarron  Pietta Frontier from Sportsman's Guide, it's the laser engraved nickel plated 45 with the 4 3/4" barrel. Date code is CT so 2018 and it doesn't have the retractable firing pin. Is that only going to be on Cimarron's Uberti guns or all their offerings?
I did pull the original two position cylinder pin out and replaced it with a Colt nickel plated pin. fit like a glove. Also while the gun is listed as nickeled, I strongly suspect it is Stainless Steel. Other than the lack of patent dates on the frame, it is a beautiful piece and hard to tell in the hand from my 1880s Colt. Can't wait to put her thru her paces when I get the chance.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 12:22:55 PM »
Well, we'll certainly need pictures!

My understand is that the new firing pin safety is a Uberti addition.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 02:48:44 PM »
"Exactly my thoughts. Just not for me."
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com