Linked Events

• GAF Muster 2006: September 28, 2006 - September 30, 2006

Author Topic: GAF Muster 2006  (Read 30586 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GAF Muster 2006
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 08:03:59 PM »
Matt,

It sure will.  The reason why we do the rifle and pistol only is because back in the Frontier Military, nobody was armed with a Rifle, 2 Pistols and a Shotgun.  Now, having been busy tying up some of the business of the 2005 Muster, I have been thinking about people bringing their second pistol so they can used a staged gun with their own ammo.  I am not sure yet, I have to wrap up this years first.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Lars

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 08:37:48 PM »
I am one that really enjoyed using only one revolver, even if I did have to reload it lots. It sure was nice not having a second dead weight hanging on my gunbelt all day.

Shooting the staged, match-supplied guns was a plus too, even if some of us did have problems with them. I personally would opt for a staged, match-supplied period revolver of unusual type, say a Webbly, a Schofield, a S&W #3 Russian, a Rogers & Spencer C&B, a Mewlin & Hulbert, an 1871 open top, etc. I liked the concept of replicating having to use a "found" gun or a gun taken from a corpse.

Lars

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 08:43:11 PM »
Lars,

That goes without saying.  Now with the theme being the Civil War, you can depend on a strange variety of staged match guns. 
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:15:20 AM »

Derby Younger

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 09:29:22 PM »

Matt:

2006 being a Civil War theme would that require weapons, uniform, etc of that period? No problem if it is, just have to figure how much BP I'm going to need between now and then.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 09:56:26 PM »
No,

The shooter can shoot a Colt SAA and a Winchester 1873 if they want.  Or a Ruger Vaquero and a Marlin, any NCOWS approved gun is good to go.  The scenarios will be taken from the Civil War and all NCOWS Classes will be honored.  Now, the shooter may find staged weapons of the engagement that they have to shoot.  If the shooter chooses to shoot The Originals Class, they will need 2 Cap & Ball Pistols, if Colts or a Spare Cylander for ROA's.  They will also need a black powder muzzle loading rifle (Yes, a Civil War Issue Sharps is OK.)  They will also need to be in uniform, the entire time of the event and must have a copy of the regs.  The Originals can be Federal or Confederate.  I have a Civil War Uniform on order and may try The Originals Class, I doubt it though.

Knowing me, I will probably shoot Smokeless Duelist, as I always do, with my Hartford Armory Pistols or 1851 Navy Conversions and my Henry.  I don't know, that's a long way away. 

Major Matt Lewis

Derby Younger

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2005, 09:58:36 PM »
Thank you Sir.

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 08:30:32 AM »
  If the shooter chooses to shoot The Originals Class, they will need 2 Cap & Ball Pistols, if Colts or a Spare Cylander for ROA's.

Major, the Ruger Old Army is specificly listed on the NCOWS unapproved list http://www.ncows.org/Not_approved.htm since it is a 20th century design.  This and other rules can be read on our website at http://www.ncows.org/Bylaws.htm

You probably meant to name the Remington New Model (commonly referred to as the 1858) which is also very easy to replace cylinders in.  ;)
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 09:01:43 AM »
Thanks George and I did.  I actually thought it was the Remington Old Army.  I am not much of a C&B Person.  Thank you for the correction.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 09:06:50 AM »
  I will be a Bushwacker. Don't have no Regs. I'll be wearing the bushwacker colors under the federal blue to lul those redlegs into a false sense of security.   jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Online Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2005, 09:22:09 AM »
Major Matt, You'll have to exuse my ignorance but why 2 colt cap and ball pistols intead of an extra cylinder? And what are regs?
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Derby Younger

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2005, 09:29:04 AM »
  I will be a Bushwacker. Don't have no Regs. I'll be wearing the bushwacker colors under the federal blue to lul those redlegs into a false sense of security.   jt

Trap:

Figure I'll be ridin' with Cap'n Quantrill next September.

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2005, 09:32:56 AM »
 Derby;
 I'll cover your back.  jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2005, 10:09:08 AM »
Well,

The original thought with a 1858 was that you can slide the cylander out and put a new one in real quick.  With a colt, you will have to disassemble the pistol.  Remove the screw and wedge to change out cylanders.  Now thinking about it, an Original can have 2 Colt C&B's or 2 Remingtons.  The second one will have to be capped on the clock for time. 

Regs are Uniform Regulations.  If you are going to portray a Confederate than you have to have a copy.  Same with Federal.  That however, is only for those who choose to shoot in The Originals class.

For for instance, if I show up in a Federal Cavalry Uniform, and shoot Smokeless Duelist, than I don't need the regulations....
Major Matt Lewis

Online Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2005, 10:34:18 AM »
Major Matt, I know that changing cylinders on a Remington is perceived as being faster, but with practice one can change a cylinder in a colt in a very short time.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2005, 10:42:12 AM »
Jack,

I don't want people to loose their wedges and screws.  For folks to be in The Originals class, it is HIGHLY adviced  that they bring 2 C&B Pistols.  Historically speaking it is correct, as many officers, cavalrymen and enlisteds brought a spare side arm into battle with them.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2005, 12:47:26 PM »
And the bushwackers were well known for carrying multiple revolvers - between 2 and 4 on their person, with more on their horses.  I ran across one account of a bushwacker getting married - with 6 Colt revolvers strapped around his waist!!!!   :o  I wonder how his new bride felt about his finery.

Trap - by redlegs I'm assuming you mean them low-down Jayhawkers  >:(  - not the Queen of Battle, the Artillery!   ;D  Those latter boys have some pretty big ordnance to shoot with. 

US Scout
Formerly of SW Missouri

Derby Younger

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2005, 01:09:50 PM »
Yes Sir, jayhawkers is exactly what we mean. Now for the Major's consideration - irregulars could be wearing confederate uniforms, parts of federal uniforms, civilian clothing or any combination thereof. Your thoughts Sir?

Derby Younger
Western MO

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2005, 01:16:52 PM »
  Yea , Jayhawkers then as now, lowly of the low. (joke) (sort of)
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2005, 01:29:30 PM »
Originals Class .... hmmmm ......

Now y'got me thinkin', Major ... though, as you might expect, it's along the lines of my own interests and preferences.  Would there be any allowance for us "furriners" within the class?  In other words, what about military impressions which are of the appropriate period, but neither CSA nor USA?  There were certainly a lot of foreign military observers during the American Civil War, and that might well form the basis for any such attire and accoutrements, to keep things from straying from the theme of the shoot ....

I already have a nice reproduction London Model Colt Navy revolver (as acquired for the Canadian Militia in 1855, and also used by many British officers of the period) and this would provide the perfect excuse to get a suitable companion piece!  (Mind you, I already do have a "backup" revolver, of sorts - one of those non-authentic .44 cal. brass-framed "Navy"-type revolvers ...) 

And this would also seem to be the ideal occasion to use my "first-generation" Parker-Hale reproduction Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle ....

So, whaddya say ?!?!   ???   ;D   :-*

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2005, 02:08:40 PM »
The way the "Originals" is set up in NCOWS is:  If you can document it, you can do it.

A Major Freemantle [or someone of that ilk] would be a very neat impression.

To do a true "Originals" class would require two or more certified "Originals" to review the packets of documentation submitted by hopeful participants.  It sounds more complicated that it is.  Case in point, I did it.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com