Author Topic: Midway USA Question  (Read 3392 times)

Offline YoungbloodSpencer

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Midway USA Question
« on: October 27, 2007, 08:00:50 PM »
ok it might be a stupid question but i would like to know if the 56-50 Spencer ammo offered by Midway USA is safe to fire in my orignal model 1865 carbine and long rifles?

This was my original Email to Two Flints:

My name is YoungbloodSpencer. I was wonding if you could anwser a couple of questions for me and put my name in to join the Spencer Shooting Society. I have recently come in possition of a few orignal Spencer model 1865 carbines and long rifles. After reading a few things on the internet i haven gotten really intrested in shooting these  rifles. I know that the rifles are all in fine firing order because the man who owned them before me loved to go shooting all of his spencers. My question has to do with the ammunition. Midway Usa is selling what they call 56-50 Spencer rounds that are good for use in the first generation guns. Are they speaking of my rifles. I read in the forums that the newer spencer remakes have a different caliber and cannot be used in the orignal rifles. Before i spend the 6 dollars a round and try and fire one of these rounds and end up destroying my 2 thousand dollar rifle which the late previous owner held in very high reguard. i would ask someone in the know. I do know that i has some 50-70 brass and about 2 dozen loaded rounds tht are necked down. So i dont know what i sould do? Learn how to reload the 50-70 govt. Or buy the 56-50 Spencer Rounds and reload that brass.I know either way i need to learn how to reload so i can enjoy thses guns.So after all of that ramnling i guess what i am asking is are the rounds on Midway Usa a new thing and a recourse that i can use or should i stick to the 50-70 govt and the infromation on the internet on how to convert these rounds.Also do you know of any good reloading book that describe the process in depth.Thank you for you time.

Thanks,

YoungbloodSpencer

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Midway USA Question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »
YoungbloodSpencer,

Welcome to SSS.  While waiting for the loading experts to reply to your question, why don't you check out the ORI Thread at the top of this first page of SSS.  There is quite a bit of loading information there and some of your questions may be answered by checking out some of the posts on loading for the "original Spencer.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 10:16:45 PM »
Howdy,

Welcome.  The ammo Midway sells is for the Armi Sport (Taylor's, Cimarron, and Dixie GW) only.  It has a slightly small case diameter and uses a .512 bullet.  Originals use between .515 to .520 bullets (usually .520, but slug your bores.  Buffalo Arms is the best source for brass for originals in .56-50 and .56-56.  They use cut down .50-70 brass that is slightly larger than the Taylor's.  Are you sure that your rifler length is a 56-50, or is it a 56-56.  If it has two bands, it may be a carbine converted to rifle.  If it is three bands, it is likely a 56-56 that uses a .535 to 540 diameter heeled bullet (like a 22 LR) where the bullet is the same diameter as the case, and has a rebated heel that crimps in the case.

Feel free to PM me.  I have owned three different original 56-56 carbines, and have owned or fired all of the Armi Sport calibers.  I have several articles published in the Cowboy Chronicle on the Spencers.  An updated 2 part series will be published in either the next or follow issue.  Beadswinger and several others (Two Flints included) also shoot originals.

This recent thread may also be of help. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,17386.0.html
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:59:14 AM »

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 09:55:34 AM »
I thought the model 1865 only came in 56-50?
The 50-70 govt. bullets that i have dont show and greese grooves at all. there is just the lead bullet head and then the brass. That is why i was thinking that they are 56-50's.

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:35:51 AM »
Hi Youngblood Spencer
If the rounds you have are necked-down and made from 50-70 brass with no grooves showing, you've probably ID'd them correctly as 56-50's.  To buy more brass, go to Buffalo Arms and look for 56-50 for Originals. Don't get the modern 56-50 brass - they don't extract well from originals.

Did these wonderful beauties (I hear multiples??) you have come with...
  • Reloading Dies?
  • Bullet Mold?
  • A Center-Fire block and a follower that's flattened?
These are all happy things to have if you want to shoot them.

You should check to make sure they're all 56-50's, and not a mix of 56-56 & 56-50; Of course, I'd appreciate pictures and serial numbers just to statisfy http://my curiosity...  ;D (don't feel obligated)

Of course, starting with some loaded brass makes it sound like another beautiful sound waiting to happen.
1860 Rifle SN 23954

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 11:55:52 AM »
yes, you did hear mutiple. I have a two of long rifles and 5 carbines. They have all been shot so i guess that i have everything that i need. What does the center fire blook look like?Where can i get one if i cant find one?

I can get a few pictures of the rifles it might take a couple of weeks though.

How do i check and see whay caliber they are or sure.Do i just us a mike or is ther a more accurate way?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com