Author Topic: Question on Spencer feeding issue  (Read 1733 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Question on Spencer feeding issue
« on: December 27, 2022, 03:22:18 PM »
A few weeks ago in the for sale section a poster wanted a Spencer even a broken one. He was answered with a possible early Armi Sport Spencer in 44 Russian that had the original v spring  replaced with an original Spencer Spring. The result was the rifle could only fire single shot as the spring was not strong enough to feed repeater fashion. The v spring I am familiar with operates the lock. I do not understand why the v spring would have an affect on feeding as the loading tube is a coil spring.
Not complaining just would like to know if it ever happened to me. I suspect that in my mechanical ignorance I am missing something here — not for the first time!! I have been known to ask a question in a room full of people who all know the answer but me.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Question on Spencer feeding issue
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 05:20:27 PM »
Hello, Treebeard:

One other "V" spring fits under the cartridge feed guide on the rear top of the receiver.  The guide is like a small finger that presses downward on the moving cartridge during feeding.  It's spring strength and the lengths of each arm of the "V" are important.  In a few of mine, swapping cartridge feed guide springs has cured feeding issues. 

I have found one spring that was too short.  Replacement solved the problem.  In originals, the amount the spring rear section projects through the back side of the receiver and into the small recess hole in the stock wrist matters.  Larry Romano alerted me to some originals with a slotted screw in the bottom of that stock hole to control projection.  An x-ray of my stocks show some with the screw.  There is no mention of this depth screw in Marcot or any drawings I have seen. 

I do not know if the Armisport one interchanges in originals. 
David Stavlo at Lodgewood might have an original. Smiles.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 05:40:07 PM »
Thanks El Supremo that is the answer I was needing— so I was missing something! I can now take a look at my two and see what that second spring is. If that spring breaks then apparently a coil spring can be made to fit. Mucho Gracias

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:43:39 PM »

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 05:48:12 PM »
Thanks, Treebeard:

I am not sure if specific Armisport Spencers have a "V" or coil spring for the ctg feed guide.

After the first run of 44 caliber ones had feeding issues, a well-regarded machinist vendor to Taylors, Ken Howell, was sent to Italy to make changes. His work involved significant variations in the internals of Armisport Spencers, including the use of the post-1865 wider ctg. guide, the Lane extractor to help with the 45 Colt case rim, dual paddle extractors for 44 caliber cases, and the ctg. guide spring.

If yours is a coil, that should be easier to manage.  By the way, never stretch a coil spring to make it a bit stronger.  That creates a stress weakness.  With either spring, it's the AMOUNT of force on the TAIL of the ctg. feed guide that matters. Please let us know what happens. Thanks. Smiles.
El Supremo/ Kevin Tinny

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 09:55:59 AM »
Hello, again:

Further on the tension of the spring on the rear of the cartridge feed guide is a photo on page 30 of Marcot, Second edition.  The photo shows U. S. Patent #36062, for the short blade extractor, AND a set screw in the top, rear of the receiver, to manage the spring pressure.  Smiles.

El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com