Special Interests - Groups & Societies > 1860 Henry

Uberti Navy Arms 1866...

(1/3) > >>

flatapple:
I have a chance to purchase a Uberti Navy Arms 1866 manufactured in 1971.  My question is this older Uberti as good or better than the Ubertis made today?  The 1866 is a saddle ring carbine, 44-40 in excellent shape and asking $500.00.

Tuolumne Lawman:
Are you sure it is a Uberti, or is it a Navy Arms?  Navy Arms made their own 1866s and 1860 Henry rifles in the 1870s.  IIRC, it was not until around 1978-1979 that Uberti started making them. Unless it says Uberti, it was made in New Jersey.  I had one of the Navy Arms Henries (pre-Uberti) and it was a great gun.  The problem is there are NO parts for them!  Their .38 Special 1866s were very close in size to originals.  I heard of one being canabalised to repair an original.

Abilene:
Most folks will advise you to steer clear.  There are zero parts available for that gun. 

But, if the price is GREAT, and it is in excellent shape, and you have no intention of short-stroking it or slicking it up, and you want it for plinking or light duty, well, it might be okay.   On the other hand, I've shot my 2000-vintage '66 almost ten thousand times (all stock parts) in CAS and never had a failed part, so maybe the old carbine has some life in it? 

Personally, if it was in good shape I would buy it only if it was cheap enough that I wouldn't be too upset if it became a wall-hanger.

Advertising:

flatapple:
Pics added.

Major 2:
Obviously , a Uberti as it is so roll stamped ....

The parts issue pertains primary with Lifter & bolt internals , if the gun is in good working order and the price is
under 7 or $750
I believe I'd move on it .... from what can be seen it looks in good cond.   Don't plan to race it , just shoot and enjoy it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version