Special Interests - Groups & Societies > 1860 Henry

Henry and the 66's Firing Pins

<< < (2/2)

Bryan Austin:
Thanks guys, I have absolutely no idea myself......I'll leave it here for a while and see if we can get some data.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Tascosa Joe:
I thought someone more knowledgeable than I would post something but here goes..... I drug out my Madis Winchester book.

There is very little written on the subject I quote from page 97 of his book:  "In shape and appearance, early firing pins were made exactly as on the Henry Rifle.  Between numbers 24,000 and 26,000 the firing pins were less pointed in an effort to aid ignition, but soon the old pattern was again adopted.  The rimfire '66 was made with twin wedge-shaped firing pins to the end of the model's production".

Bryan Austin:

--- Quote from: Tascosa Joe on May 30, 2021, 11:37:21 AM ---I thought someone more knowledgeable than I would post something but here goes..... I drug out my Madis Winchester book.

There is very little written on the subject I quote from page 97 of his book:  "In shape and appearance, early firing pins were made exactly as on the Henry Rifle.  Between numbers 24,000 and 26,000 the firing pins were less pointed in an effort to aid ignition, but soon the old pattern was again adopted.  The rimfire '66 was made with twin wedge-shaped firing pins to the end of the model's production".

--- End quote ---

THANKS!  So basically only the less pointed pins were on 60's between 24,000 and 26,000 and all 66's should be pointed (wedged). Of course there are gunsmith work exceptions I guess.

Although that certainly answers my question, it doesn't help identify 60's and 66's with pointed pins....oh well, I tried...lol

THANKS!!!!

Tascosa Joe:
The way I understand it, the sharper pins were only on the '66 s in the SN range.

Fox Creek Kid:
Another possible reason is that then, just as now, too many knuckleheads dry fired and broke the FP tips as well as caused chamber mouth dents. I would think the blunter one would cause less damage than a sharp one as well perhaps. Spencers were bad for this as well.

In the Madis book he also covered another problem that required the co. to supply gunsmiths with a special tool to aid in removing the snap collar collet on the bolt face of the Henry & '66 models for issues.

Advertisers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version