Author Topic: How often do you screw one up?  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
How often do you screw one up?
« on: March 25, 2021, 12:39:16 AM »
I don't mean little slips that can be fixed or covered up. I mean, pound your fist, cuss and throw it in the garbage "rurnt", as my grandmother would say. I don't really have a complete count, as my spreadsheet doesn't include personal stuff or the most recent work. I figure in the 8yrs i've been at it, I've made close to 100 holsters, belts, sheaths, cartridge slides, pouches, bags, etc.. Which isn't really all that much but I have only ruined one, a holster that I made too small for a Ruger Bearcat, back when I first started. It was ugly to boot. Until today. I was going to use the Ghormley "Jesse James" pattern but by the time I got done with making adjustments for the Cimarron S&W #3 American, I didn't use any of it. So here I am with a brand new pattern, cut out two of them to make a crossdraw pair. Decide to try a new serpentine border stamp and that beader blade I got from BK. Went south right off the bat and only got worse from there. Should've practiced with that beader blade but I didn't. The harder I tried, the worse it got. At first was just going to finish it and see how it turned out but I couldn't stomach it. For the first time in 8yrs, I turned around and threw a holster in the trash can. That Mexican loop I just finished was some of my best work. Now this. I did decide tonight that I'll finish it and use it for experimentation with aging processes.

Went back later and stamped out the other one no problem.
SASS #81,827

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: How often do you screw one up?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 01:38:21 AM »
Hi

I can count one of four holsters that isn't going to be usable.  I tried to make it too tight and made it tight enough that it can't be used.  Fortunately I used some less that great leather.  I also made a nice looking holster from a Will Ghormley pattern that was too floppy.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 04:35:18 AM »
I have thrown away SO many holsters I wasn't happy with.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:05:07 PM »

Offline The original bad bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 09:33:48 AM »
The last time I trashed a holster every thing was going fine until I went to fold it to sew it up.. then the leather cracked at the fold.. I was so angry I threw the holster over the backyard fence.. I eventually retrieved it though   >:(I save the leather to make small black powder pouches or make belt loops for slim Jim holsters  :'(

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 10:12:24 AM »
I was doing a holster for Dirty Dick, that was a "3rd time is a charm". Messed up the liner, then it was too tight... I'm always misstamping, or messing up border cuts. So, to answer your question, too often.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 11:56:20 AM »
Yeah, I trash one occasionally. The leather is always usable for something, though, even if it's only a coaster.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 693
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 12:12:46 PM »
I have messed up a few but usually use the leather for something else.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 12:46:18 PM »
Don't know if it counts as a "screwup" but sometimes when making a holster for a customer's gun that I've never made one before, I will make a prototype from some usable, but scrap, leather.  If it needs adjusting, I'll make the final one.
Now, occasionally, I will cut out a holster only to discover a flaw that didn't show up until I wet it for bending prior to stitching or something.  I won't continue finishing it, but may save it for whatever use it might be used for.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 01:58:20 PM »
My first try at a lined Mexican loop holster was too small for either Rugers or SAA. I kept it though, as my Single-Six fit it perfectly!  No absolute throw-aways, but quite a few dissapointments.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 02:34:12 PM »
Don't know if it counts as a "screwup" but sometimes when making a holster for a customer's gun that I've never made one before, I will make a prototype from some usable, but scrap, leather.  If it needs adjusting, I'll make the final one.
Now, occasionally, I will cut out a holster only to discover a flaw that didn't show up until I wet it for bending prior to stitching or something.  I won't continue finishing it, but may save it for whatever use it might be used for.

When using a new pattern I haven't tested and not quite sure of I'll use belly leather or some leather that's not really A grade. Most of the time they would come out OK even though I might make an adjustment to the pattern.

I'm such a tightwad I hardly ever throw anything away so have several of those holsters around that are blims I call them but never wanted to sell them with my name on them.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 02:41:38 PM »
That's where I'm at with this one. If the finish turns out right, I may keep it for myself but wouldn't sell it.

I've been very lucky with patterns as far as fitment (don't claim to be good). Only the Bearcat holster has been an issue in that department. I've gone back and adjusted some of them. In fact, I've thrown away all my original Slim Jim patterns and redrawn them but that was for stylistic refinements. I have made knife sheaths that didn't fit the knife I made it for but found something else that did.  ::)
SASS #81,827

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4841
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 05:32:17 PM »
CraigC, is the S&W holster still usable for a guncart holster? If so, I would love to get it from you. Thanks
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 06:38:24 PM »
It's got my maker's mark on it and I can't in good conscience let it leave the shop.
SASS #81,827

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 693
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 12:23:16 PM »
Since you asked; I decided to screw one up just so I could post it here.  ::) Not really but I did ruin this one.

I recently got myself a Walker and decided I would make a holster for it. I wanted to try a few things on this one.

1. I wanted a Slim Jim style belt holster. (I know they were meant for carrying on saddle)
2. I wanted to do my first lined holster
3. I wanted to use my serpentine stamp that I have had since Christmas
4. I wanted a somewhat distressed look. I figured I would use a dark brown dye and flatten some of the stamps and not be so gentle while making it.

Well I checked of some or most of those but what I had not accounted for was the overall heft of the Walker.
I went about 3/4 of an inch from the tracing of the revolver for my pattern.

That did not leave me nearly enough room to put a Walker in the holster.

It will hold a 1851 or a 1860 and things like that but those don't have the massive 9" barrel that the Walker does.

I knew when I cut the leather out that a Walker was prob. not going to fit in there but I thought it might stretch enough to squeeze one in. I was dead wrong. Even soaked, the leather would not budge enough for a Walker.

I went ahead and finished it up but not sure what I will do with it now other than keep it as a lesson hopefully learned.

Would have been great if Will's Pattern for the 49er Slim Jims had a Walker pattern in it also.

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 12:29:02 PM »
I hate the rope border tool.  Can't seem to get that thing to look right any time I try it.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com