Author Topic: Coach gun - hammerless or external hammer?  (Read 10538 times)

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Coach gun - hammerless or external hammer?
« on: June 08, 2013, 06:16:41 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm looking into buying my first shotgun for CAS, which is going to be a coach gun.

Which would be better, a hammerless, eg Stoeger double trigger or a external hammered coach gun?

Is one faster to operate/load then the other? A youtube vid mentioned the external hammer version breaks open faster as it doesn't need to cock the hammers, but then again you have to cock the hammers manually.

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: Coach gun - hammerless or external hammer?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:25:44 AM »
Internal hammers are still faster, but exposed hammers are cooler!  In my opinion, the Bakial (USSG) internal hammered double trigger models are the best low buck option on the market right now.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
I've had the Bakial since Remington was importing them. It is rock solid, easy to handle, easy to clean but out of the box it's the stiffest shotgun I have ever fired. It can be slicked up.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:34:31 PM »

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »
Brand new Cimarron 1878 Colt hammer available in Classified. I have one, used it for the first time a month ago. The hammers being set close together nearly negate the hammer "slowness" issue. Being able to cock both hammers together coupled with the fast opening (slight) make for a great shotgun. I also have a Stoeger Coachgun and it is a fine shotgun, but IMHO, the 1878 Colt/Cimarron is the one to buy.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »
You have to decide which category appeals to you the most. If you will be shooting one of the Modern/smokeless categories and you  are competitive in nature, the Stoeger would be good to start with. If you enjoy shooting Blackpowder and are interested in the historical aspects of our game, then the hammered SXS would be a better fit. Just a note on the SXS's, as it stands now the TTN is the only new hammer gun available WITHOUT the usual tang safety.Trying to cock both hammers and manipulating the safety is more than I care to do.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com