Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 9570 times)

Offline audioruss

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Getting started
« on: May 21, 2004, 10:15:58 PM »
I am new to the sport and I am looking for guns and gear.  I have a ruger vaquero birds head with a 3 1/2 barrel in 45Lc.   Any recommendations on other guns?  What is the most popular barrel length?  Calibers? What are the target distances.  Is a longer barrel better? Also, I am new to Northern California (Petaluma), are there any clubs close by?

Russ

Offline J.D. Stawker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Getiting started
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 10:33:10 PM »
Don't know if there are any clubs nearby cuz I haven't ever been to California. If there are go there with some 38 and 45 cowboy ammunition and let it be known that you are new and wanting to figure out what guns you need. I am sure the pards will let you try several out.  Get what feels good to you. Some like rifles, some like carbines, some like 73's, some like marlins, some like 92's.  For example, I could never shoot them little short barreled guns of yours. I like the long barrels, 7 1/2 and 8".

Offline Marauder

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Marauder's Old West Page
  • Liked:
Re: Getting started
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 06:01:13 PM »
The most common barrel lengths are 4 5/8 and 5 1/2.  Our targets are generally close so barrel length isn't an issue for accuracy, more what you are comfortable with concerning balance and being able to draw it easily.

For most folks, the Marlin 94 is a great rifle.  It is rugged and quite fast.  And it is moderately priced.

Shotgun, there are some good deals on older SideXside shotguns.  For new ones, Stoeger is good for the price but if you shoot a lot you may want the harder steel of the Baikel or possibly the Norinco (or whoever is importing those chinese made guns now.)

If you want a pump, you may find a good Winchester 97 or buy a new import.  The imports have good steel and now have pretty good machining - although not always perfect.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:13:46 AM »

Offline audioruss

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 09:37:07 PM »
Thaks for the info.  Any thoughts on what kind of pistol?  Ruger, colt, or a colt clone?  It seems that there are plenty to choose from.  I like the Ruger Vaquero but have not shot a colt or clone.  I do like the looks of the remington model 75 (someone posted a picture on this site.)  Which of the clones (or replicas) are the best? 

Russ

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 10:41:41 PM »
Honestly.. your questions are impossible to answer.  We all have biases and preferences and experiences. 

Tell us what you want to look like, shoot like.. what's your idea for your character? 
Are you gonna want to shoot fast and compete with the burners? 
Do you want to shoot Blackpowder? 
Does history interest you the most about CAS or is it the shooting?

Without this information, it's hard to know how to advise you.
Adios,

Offline audioruss

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 12:05:05 AM »
Ok…here goes.  I don’t want to shoot blackpowder and I don’t want to compete with the burners.  I am more interested in the shooting than the history, however, that may change as I become more involved.  As for my character, I was thinking a gentleman gunslinger or maybe a gambler.  I am not sure yet.  All though, I can see how my choice in character would dictate my choice in guns.   I want to shoot .45 colt mostly because I have a vaquero in that caliber.  It a birds-head model with a 3 inch barrel.  I thought I could wear a cross-draw shoulder rig for it.  As for a shotgun, a double barrel with exposed hammers would be preferable.  For a rifle, a Winchester 94 or marlin 96 mostly due to cost (these seem cheaper than the reproduction guns) and I would like to have something I could hunt deer with.  So, I guess I need help in selecting another sidearm, clothes, and in further developing my character.   Another vaquero would be nice but I am also considering one of the colt 73 replicas.  Does anyone have an opinion on a`manufacture?  Uberti, Taurus, barreta, navy arms, taylor, usfa?  Start up costs are an issue, but, I don’t want to buy a cheap gun that will need a lot of money in gunsmithing to make it shoot well (this goes for all the guns not just the pistol). 

Russ
  :-\

Offline Tombstone Runner SASS#54765

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 06:24:09 AM »
Welcome Russ
By my little experience I would recomend not using a Winchester 94. I have one and had to buy something else ona conna it would jam easy, especially if you short stroke. I started with a cheaper chineese s/s and went to stroeger a little better quality. The piostols depend on  your budget....they say that Rugers are good out of the box. I bought Ubertis and ended up sending them to Bob Munden for an action job. Good luck and let us know what you decide!!
Tombstone Runner
"Did you bring some gold?"
"Nope!"
"Silver?"
"Jus Lead"

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 07:59:15 AM »
Howdy,

Good job... looks like you've put a good deal of thought into your character!  That's a lot of fun, ain't it?

Here is my suggestions, based on your character.  In time, you may find that you want different guns because you shoot them better.  You can change your persona to fit the guns or just shoot them with the same persona.  Not a big deal.

You have one Ruger Birdshead, I'd suggest you get another, one with a bit of a longer barrel.  The Rugers feel a bit different from Colts or Colt replicas.  And a gambler type would have one in a Doc Holiday rig and another on his hip. 

I think the short barrel theme would be continued, cause you gotta stick your rifle and shotgun in your bags and get on and off the stages or riverboats.  So a carbine would make sense, look for one of the Big 5 Marlins.  They are $300 new and can be had in 45LC.  Then one of the short coach guns, the new Libery II has some nice case coloring and would fit a dandy.  But you can get any of the basics, Baikal, Stoeger or Stevens and get started.

Ok.. you asked for advice and you got it.  Is it worth a plugged nickel?  Who knows!!! Haw!

Adios,

Offline audioruss

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 07:44:50 PM »
Big Hext,

Which are the Marlins you are referring to?  I have looked on the internet and I can't find any for $300 (maybe I am not looking in the right place).  Is the new or used price? 

Russ

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 04:31:43 PM »
Howdy,

There is a Big 5 Sporting goods store chain.  I don't have one near me, but the online community has informed us that they regularly have these guns at these prices.

If not, keep shopping the auctions.  I just saw a Marlin 94 Cowboy, in 45LC, that went unpurchased on auction for $399.  A deal!

Adios,

Offline KatieJean

• Leather & Lace
  • Citizen
    • kowboyboots.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 03:18:01 AM »
Hi Russ, if for some reason you decide to part with those ruger vaquero birds head with a 3 1/2 barrel in 45Lc let me know, thats just what I am looking for.
katie
"Cowboys and angels... leather and lace... salt of the earth meets heavenly grace. Cowboys and angels, proven and tried; a long way to heaven but one hell of a ride!"

Offline Christopher Carson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 08:01:15 AM »
Reckon you've noticed that your question calls for a Ford versus Chevy discussion, Russ... so  one thing to keep in the back of your mind is that YOUR preference is the single most important factor.

That said, think Big Hext has got ya one the right track.  Gambler or upscale gunfighter would likely have a big-bore back-up like the birdshead Vaquero you've got, another belt pistol and rifle chambered for the same cartridge.  You'd likely find a 4½" or a 5½" Vaquero would be a decent match.

Many prefer having the same grip on both pistols, some even the same barrel length... and there's some benefit to that.  FWIW, I don't "do as I say" -- I use a 4½" standard Vaquero and a 5½" Bisley Vaquero.  I suspect maybe a character like yours might have chosen the hide-out gun for ease of concealment, not necessarily to match the belt gun in speed or accuracy.

Your comment about not wanting to buy something that costs you a lot of gunsmithing fees is right on the mark.  I can't speak to the Colt clones, but for the Rugers, it's pretty much a standard deal that you simply swap the hammer, trigger return, and base pin latch springs out (e.g., with a Wolff spring kit, less than $10 if I remember right), and get to shootin'.  You can do it yourself, and after you've done it once it'll only take you about 15 minutes per gun from then on.

The cross-draw or shoulder holster will be an issue for you.  Safety dictates you'll rotate your body while drawing, to keep from sweeping folks behind or to the side of you.  Nor will you want to sweep your own arm from the shoulder holster.  Not overwhelmingly difficult, but ya gotta make it second nature.

When it comes to rifles... the fastest/most popular are the Winchester 73, Marlin 1894, and maybe the Improved Henry (Winchester 66).  Another decent one is the Winchester 92.  Most folks find the Winchester 94 and the Henry a bit slower.  The 94 Trapper I had was a darned fine gun, but the action never did get smooth enough to go fast.  You could hunt deer with a 73 or an 1894 chambered for .45 Colt.  No need to soup it up to exceed 73 design capabilities; the original .44 WCF was quite sufficient for deer, so the .45 should do you nicely as well.  You might want to add a tang sight for that, though...  Both 73 clones and Marlin 1894 models come in several variations, so you might first look at the Marlin, Cimarron, Navy Arms, etc. websites to see what's available.

Later on, when you're ready to go elk hunting, you can shop on the Winchester/Browning 86s or the Marlin 336/1895s... and that can be your "long-range rifle-caliber" gun for side matches  ;)

As to shotguns...  gotta admit, I prefer a hammerless double, and I think that'd be in keeping with your character if you choose the Marlin 1894 rifle.  OTOH, if you go with a 73, a hammer double would be closer in time.  Nothing stopping folks from mixing and matching, of course, and it wouldn't be abnormal to see somebody using an old shotgun even if they had newer sidearms or rifles.  Not sure you'd have to go with the coach gun length, though; many find the longer barrels swing more smoothly, aren't as jerky.  And if you ever wanted to use the thing for casual trap/skeet/sporting clays the longer barrel would be more useful (similar to your reasoning about getting a deer rifle outa all this).  If you go with longer barrels for that kind of reasoning, screw-in choke tubes would be a useful touch.
Double shotguns are easily broken down and stuffed into a short case for riverboat or stagecoach travel. 

Good luck, and have fun shopping!  -Chris

- Christopher Carson, SASS #5676L
A Ghostrider... Captain and Chief Engineer of the coaster "Ranger"; previously scout for the Signal Corps, Army of the Potomac, range detective...

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2004, 12:27:28 AM »
Hmmmmm, gentleman gunslinger or gambler.  The character that comes to mind is:
Robert Vaughn who played the character Lee in "The Magnificent Seven".  Nice duds (especially the gloves) and his leather was rather nice also, vest, tie, all the works.  Not sure the type of pistol he used -- I'll have to find the tape and watch it again.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 11:58:11 AM »
Russ,

A fella on the SASS Classifieds has a Big 5 Marlin in 45 for $275.  Good starter gun!
http://www.sassnet.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=032948

Adios,

Offline audioruss

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 10:07:04 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I can't wait to get all my gear and try my hand at a shoot.  I plan on watching my first match this weekend.  I do have a question about the side mathes.  What kind of guns are allowed? I have a 30-40 Kraig that I would like to use as a long range shooter. 

Russ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com