CAS TOPICS > 1911 & Wild Bunch Shooting

If this is Wild Bunch, why can't I ........?

(1/5) > >>

Grizzly Adams:
.....shoot my Wiseinhymer model 98 go fast?  It was in the movie! :o

From the SASS Wild Bunch Handbook:

"SASS Wild Bunch Action Shooting is a combination of historical reenactment and
Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to
wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century and early 20th century cowboy and
military. Emphasis is put on period US military from 1900 to 1916. Period western dress is
allowed such as Pike, Dutch, Lyle, or Tector in the closing scene of the Wild Bunch movie (e.g.,
Western style pants with or without suspenders, and long sleeve western shirt). Vests are
optional. Boots must be SASS legal. Hats must be worn and must be made of felt, no straw
hats. Mexican dress is also appropriate."

Note that it does NOT say that Wild Bunch is based on the movie.  The emphasis is on period military from 1900 - 1916.  The only mention of the movie (other than borrowing the name for the game!) is the western dress of the characters in the closing scene, and that is to provide an option to period military dress.

The discussion about what is, and is not, included in SASS Wild Bunch will be a never ending source of amusement for us - much like the unending discussion abut what should or should not be included in Classic Cowboy, or B Western.  "Why can't I use/shoot/wear my ______ in _______? - just fill in the blanks!  Wild Bunch is based no more on the Movie Wild Bunch, than SASS is based strictly on John Wayne movies.  Arbitrary decisions are made, and rules promulgated accordingly to establish and publish the guidelines for the game and the various categories.  It's as simple as that.   The primary goal is not to conform to the fine details of a movie, or specific time frame, but rather to insure consistency of play no matter where you go to play - the game is defined, just as GAF, SASS and/or NCOWs action events work off a known template.   

SASS Wild Bunch is a blast!  It's a big bore - no mouse loads need apply - affair!  It has an aggressive, edgy feel that is a bit different than CAS.   Gun up, gear up, and go have some fun! ;D

Great new forum!

WaddWatsonEllis:
I watched someone go on and on about not being able to use a Model 87 on Wild Bunch shoots.

To keep it simple;

1.) It's their webpage

2.) It's their rules

3.) If they wish to have a competition snapping Tiddly -Winks at targets, refer to rules 1 & 2.

'Nuff Said.

Dalton Masterson:
At your range, you can make the rules however you wish. But for a SASS Wild Bunch match, this is the rule...

The Sand Creek Raiders, in Colorado, has had a Wild Bunch match and posted rules long before SASS did. They have a huge list of firearms you can use. http://www.sandcreekraiders.com/  I wanted to adopt these rules for our club, but we stuck with the SASS rules, to keep it standard across the board.

Myself, I dont like the limiting factor that SASS has, but I can see the need to simplify the options, to make it an even playing field, without making a whole bevy of other classes to accomodate double action revolvers, autos, bolt actions, etc.

DM

Advertising:

Camille Eonich:

--- Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on April 17, 2010, 07:15:38 PM ---I watched someone go on and on about not being able to use a Model 87 on Wild Bunch shoots.

To keep it simple;

1.) It's their webpage

2.) It's their rules

3.) If they wish to have a competition snapping Tiddly -Winks at targets, refer to rules 1 & 2.

'Nuff Said.

--- End quote ---

That's it in a nutshell.

Border Ruffian:
As long as it is safe it should be a go! 
restrictive rules are no fun!  That's what SASS is supposed to be about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version