Author Topic: How to establish a club  (Read 19134 times)

Offline pinto bean

• pinto bean
  • Active citizen
    • google
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How to establish a club
« on: July 12, 2008, 02:15:06 PM »
probably the wrong place,but as i am computer challenged-please bear with me.i live abt 10 miles south of denton,tx. ther apparently is not a cas club within 100 miles. how difficult would it be to form a club? i'm sure that there are interested shooters in the dfw area.

also,there's cas,sass ,etc. what do you need to belong to in order to go shoot in a match?

thanks,
trail boss

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: How to establish a club
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »
Howdy Trail Boss. All you need to go to a match is guns and ammo and a cowboy hat. People welcome new shooters.
Regarding starting a club, the hardest part is getting the range. To be a SASS affiliated club, you should contact them with questions, but basically you will need insurance (as low as $750 per year) and, if SASS affiliated, name them on the policy. Again call SASS.
Go to shoots and meet folks. They will be more than helpful. My closest place to shoot is 75 miles and I just carpool with another shooter.
Good luck.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 05:25:41 PM »
Trail Boss
The first thing you need is insurance.  Then a range that will allow CAS style shooting.  Then you need targets,  Steel just doesn’t grow on trees. 
What got Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association going was a small group of likeminded people that were willing to commit to getting the club going.  We did it with a group we call the “Founding Fathers”.  They came up with the funds to get everything we needed ,
Put flyers out at local gun stores asking if there is an interest in forming a club, and the go from there.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:53:31 AM »

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:26:17 AM »
Trail Boss, there is a good club about 60 miles from you in Greenville Texas.

http://www.texastenhorns.com/

All of the Texas SASS clubs are listed here,

http://sassnet.com/AClubs-TX-001A.php

Most any of these folks would be glad to help start a club if you want to.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 11:44:25 AM »
Trail Boss there used to be one in Cleburne and one in Glen Rose.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »
Trail Boss
The first thing you need is insurance.  Then a range that will allow CAS style shooting.  Then you need targets,  Steel just doesn’t grow on trees. 
What got Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association going was a small group of likeminded people that were willing to commit to getting the club going.  We did it with a group we call the “Founding Fathers”.  They came up with the funds to get everything we needed ,
Put flyers out at local gun stores asking if there is an interest in forming a club, and the go from there.

I would change this just a bit and say that before putting out money for insurance that you need to find a range.  Even before the range though it would be helpful to get some experience in the game so you know what people expect.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 04:16:08 PM »
Before I started Comanche Trail Shootists I had shot in exactly one CAS (acronymn for Cowboy Action Shooting) match. The first thing I did was joined SASS. The next thing was to contact SASS and get their club start up kit. I then made up some posters & lots of brochures about CAS. Next I went to every place in the area that sold guns and asked if I could leave some brochures and a poster and a sign up sheet with them. I asked people who might be interested in starting a club to sign up for a meeting. About 3 months later I called everyone who had signed up and notified them of a meeting to be held in my home. At the meeting I explained CAS to them and showed them a SASS video. Afterwards we voted to form a club and elected officers. I'll give you 3 guesses as to who was elected Trail Boss (president) and the 1st 2 don't count. ;)

All the members at the initial meeting (11) kicked in $200 each to give us some operating capital and we opened a bank account. We also voted that anyone who signed up by a certain date  and kicked in $200 (more operating capital ;) ) could be a charter member for which they would get a numbered engraved sterling silver badge. Regular club member badges would be plain unnumbered nickel.

We then set about getting incorporated with the state comptroller. This is very important. In case of an accident, if the club is unicorporated (under the laws of Texas) every club member could be sued for everything they have. But if the club is incorporated with the state only the club can be sued for it's assets. Our assets consists of a few thousand dollars in the bank,  targets and props, a storage/office building, a computer, two BBQ grills and several picnic tables & benches, & $3,000,000 in liability insurance. Our range is leased land on a private ranch. Although the members were anxious to hold our 1st match, I wouldn't allow it until I had that insurance policy in my hands.

Our club was formed 6-28-95 and our 1st match was held 10-7-95. It was one stage and we had 28 shooters present. The categories were all the SASS categories at the time, modern, traditional & seniors. Oh for the good ol days! :D I invited the media and the local NBC affiliate showed up and did a piece on us at 6 & 10. (anything for publicity). The club bought several briskets that I smoked on my smoker and everybody brought pot luck and sure had a good time & stuffed ourselves.

You can't have too many CAS clubs, specially with the cost of gas these days. Good luck in getting one started in your area. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »
Sometimes you can tie into an existing club too. You know, you form a club that shoots on a different weekend, share the same range and steel targets. Most of the members of the existing club will shoot the new clubs matches, because they live close by. They might also appreciate the extra money for target purchases and range maintenance and the new club might be able to hook up with the same insurance too.
I used to shoot a range that has 5 clubs that use it. I still do shoot a place that has 3 clubs on it. It is another possibility to check out.
:)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline R.U. Snickering

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 03:44:21 PM »
Hey Pard, Looks like we are in the same boat! I live between Fort Worth and Denton and would love to have a nearby club to join. If your starting a new club. Count me in.
Craig Sickles
2213 Horseback Trail
Fort Worth, TX 76177

R_U_Snickering@yahoo.com
Yankee by birth, Texan by choice....

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »
RUS,

http://www.texastenhorns.com/Calendar.htm

This group has both NCOWS & SASS shoots and are near you.

Good shooting!

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Deja vous

• Top Active Citizen
  • Branson 2009
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »
How to establish a club.. go out into the forest,,,, chop down a tree..  Fashion it with a chisele in to a club.. easy really.. opp;s.. sorry wrong kind of club, huh? 
Even lightening strikes twice at times,  Deja Vous

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »
 ::)  ;)  ::)  :D  ::)  :o  ::) ;D  ::)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Deja vous

• Top Active Citizen
  • Branson 2009
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 11:21:29 PM »
Doc Bobbers.. my roots are not blonde.. honest.. lol 
Even lightening strikes twice at times,  Deja Vous

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »
Pinto:

We are working this right now.  Our goal is to have a SASS-only club that will shoot summer months.  We only have enough Pards for officers right now.  I have been talking to SASS Hq quite a bit.  

BTW:  Ask them for the packet on organizing a club.

SASS won't recognize NOTHIN' until there is an actual range.  And I suggest that you shop around for insurance.  I have a suggestion on that.  Send me a PM when you have time.

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »
pinto bean,

RE:  Texas Ten Horns.

We are probably not more than 50 or 60 miles from you.  We have several members from the Denton & Sherman area that regularly shoot with us.  One of our long time club officers is from Tom Bean.

Please try to come out an join us for a shoot.  We have well constructed stages, a nice range, and very friendly membership.

Here's a few links to help you out:

Our CAS "Texas" Forum:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,100.0.html

A map of all the CAS clubs in Texas:  

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=115593317904128836290.000448538d0f680caa8db&ll=32.23139,-100.656738&spn=13.048028,19.665527&z=6

Please feel free to contact me regarding the Texas Ten Horns:  pancho.peacemaker@gmail.com

We shoot 2nd and 4th weekend of the month.  If the month has a "5th" weekend, we usually have some type of fun "specialty" match.

Keep an eye on our web site http://www.texastenhorns.com/

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
You could do far worse , than shoot with Pancho Peasemaker and the Texas Tenhorns..

I call several of them (TTH) friends, and Pancho was invaluable with my forming Cracker Cow Cavalry.

50 miles is a mear front yard stroll in Texas  ;D

This fall I'm coming out to shoot with them........
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com