Special Interests - Groups & Societies > STORM

A really stupid conversion question

(1/1)

Will Sellit:
This may win the stupid question award but here goes anyway.
I was thinking of having a Colt 1860 converted to a Richards type one conversion and I understand the conversion ring on a Richards type one shrouds the back of the cylinder by about a 1/32". On a Richards Mason conversion there is no shroud on the conversion ring.
My question is how do you tell if you have the hammer down on a empty cylinder? Since you cannot see the back of the cylinder because of the shroud is there any place on the conversion ring that you can see if the top cylinder is unloaded?
I was thinking this could be a problem at the loading table or actually anytime.
Any information is appreciated.

Wild Ben Raymond:
Will S. Yes, it is difficult to tell without looking at the front end of the cylinder so I tried telling with my original to see. I took an empty case & primed it only. Put it in the cylinder, then procceded to lower the hammer on each chamber to see if I could tell without looking at the cylinder face. Well the only way was that I could notice a larger gap between the hammer face & the frame that's about it. I don't know about anybodys else's 60' army Richards (original or clone) but mine has a very tight space between the conversion ring & the cylinder that I can fire a primed brass case's or wax bullets through it without the primers backing out. Wild Ben Raymond 

Sir Charles deMouton-Black:
There are no stupid questions; - Only stupid answers.  I can attest to that!

Advertising:

Wild Ben Raymond:
Seth yes, you can tell with the loading gate open if you look closely there's a small gap there that you can see the firing pin protruding through or you will see a case rim if you loaded it wrong. WBR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version