CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

Lubing question

(1/1)

LonesomePigeon:
When lubing and sizing with a Lyman Lube Sizer sometimes I get lube on the base of the bullet. Normally I just wipe it off with a paper towel. I am wondering if it would be better if I was to actually clean the base of the bullet with some type of degreaser like Mineral Spirits or Acetone?

FYI the lube I have been using lately is a recipe I found online called "Emmert's Lube". It's a soft lube of mostly beeswax and Crisco that works with black powder and smokeless. I have used it for both bp and smokeless and it does seem to work well in both.

Coffinmaker:

Actually, you're just fine wiping down the base of the bullet onna rag.

A word of caution.  Or words of caution.  Mineral Spirits and Acetone, as they evaporate and dry, create HEAT.  They can and will create enough heat to reach their respective Flash Points and spontaneously combust.  SO:

NEVER EVER put rags with those chemicals in a can, in your house.  In fact, take those rags OUTSIDE to dry immediately after use.

LonesomePigeon:
Thanks Coffinmaker. Thanks for the warning too.

Advertising:

King Medallion:
I lay a rag on my leg and do a quick swipe of the bottom of the bullet. Simple and easy.

Professor Marvel:
Another vote for A rag or paper towel … unless one is using cards or wads, in which case one “could” pushes the bullet directly onto the wad,
Using the excess as “stickum” …

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version