Author Topic: Vital size dinger  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Vital size dinger
« on: May 24, 2020, 04:23:13 PM »
Id like to get a steel dinger to shoot at, as walking back and forth has gotten old. Id like to know roughly how big it should be to portray the size of the vitals of a buffalo. I plan to aim at the center but want to consider any hit on any part of it a good hit and a killing shot on a bison. So id like to hear some suggestions on dimensions. Thanks

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Vital size dinger
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 04:49:02 PM »
I’d make it the size of a dinner plate. Mind you the hart of a buffalo is low in the chest not centered.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 05:39:20 PM »
Thanks my plates are 11 inches so maybe an even foot. Six inches deviation in any direction should stay within the lungs im thinking.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:46:58 AM »

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 05:41:23 PM »
This will be informal offhand shooting no further than 300 yards is the plan.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 06:08:57 PM »
http://www.silvertine.ca/shot-placement.html

The Bison has a unique lung structure.  Both lungs share a common venturi, thus a hole in either will collapse both.  The Lung shot is the one to use on any bison, the heart is often at least partially shielded by the foreleg.  It's relatively big, I'd use 24" dinger myself.

One of the reasons the old professionals liked the .50.  Bigger hole lets the air out faster.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »
Thanks my plates are 11 inches so maybe an even foot. Six inches deviation in any direction should stay within the lungs im thinking.

Greetings My Good Galloway

I would be inclined to stick with the 11" plates that you have, for two reasons
1) the smaller target  provides incentive to work harder to shoot smaller groups, A Larger dinger might promote more sloppiness.
B) I am cheap frugal

yhs
prof mrvl
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 09:06:25 PM »
Thanks for the helpful replies, ive been shooting at paper plates and am getting satisfactory groups but with barrel sites and weather conditions they often go a little one way or another. Rather than stress about it, i think a more realistic sized target (bison) might provide more enjoyment. I know the gun can shoot and i can hold it steady, but the front site is bigger than an 8'' paper plate at 200 yards, and i often go home disappointed. I think i'll start with cardboard and see what i can and cant do. Im just trying to figure the maximum distance from center on a circle that would give a ding i could still be proud of, hence my how big are the vitals question. As for sloppiness im just trying to replicate what the run of the mill ragamuffin buffalo hunter would have done in texas, im definitely no champion shooter lol.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
Thanks for the helpful replies, ive been shooting at paper plates and am getting satisfactory groups but with barrel sites and weather conditions they often go a little one way or another. Rather than stress about it, i think a more realistic sized target (bison) might provide more enjoyment. I know the gun can shoot and i can hold it steady, but the front site is bigger than an 8'' paper plate at 200 yards, and i often go home disappointed. I think i'll start with cardboard and see what i can and cant do. Im just trying to figure the maximum distance from center on a circle that would give a ding i could still be proud of, hence my how big are the vitals question. As for sloppiness im just trying to replicate what the run of the mill ragamuffin buffalo hunter would have done in texas, im definitely no champion shooter lol.

Ah My Good Galloway

I am not so sure I can even SEE an 8" bull at 200 yards, let alone 300 yards... so the front site covering it would not be an issue for me  ;D

But if YOU can clearly make out a black bull the size of your 11" plate, what if you were to use the classic 6 o'clock hold, thus revealing bothe the sight and the bull?

yhs
prof wondering if that would work for ya
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com