Author Topic: New Mexico in 1850:A Military View  (Read 2519 times)

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Mexico in 1850:A Military View
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »
Just picked up this book,it is the reports of Col.George A. McCall from an inspection trip to various military posts in the then new Territory of New Mexico.A few items of interest-

Abiquiu Sept.3rd,1850
D Co. 2nd Dragoons

"The musketoon and sabre are in serviceable,but not in high order."

"The clothing unti very recently has been deficent in quantity,and,therefore,that in use does not,in all instantces strictly conform to regulations."

Rayado Sept. 16th,1850

G and I Co. 1st Dragoons

"Hall's Carbines,the common holster pistols,and sabres are in good condition"

"Very little clothing has been on hand for many months and,consequently,that in possesion of the men in many cases does not conform to regulations."

Cibolletta  Oct. 1st,1850

H Co. 2nd Dragoons
I  Co. 3rd Infantry

"The Dragoons have fiftyfour cavalry musketoons and thirty Colt's revolving pistols.These arms are new,just issued.The arms of the Infantry company,the same they had in use before coming to New Mexico are in good order."

"The Dragoons have not received their clothing regularly for a long time.They are,consequently,very imperfectly uniformed.The clothing of the Infantry is better."

The state of the clothing comes up several times in a brief skimming of the reports.Hard service at the end of a very long supply line no doubt.The musketoon often mentioned is IDed in the notes as the M1847.When mention of a holster pistol is made they are refering to one of the single shot type.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: New Mexico in 1850:A Military View
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:49:34 PM »
Good information, JimBob. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:30:56 AM »
"Very imperfectly uniformed" ... boy I'd love to see a Daguerreotype of these boys! Thanks for the citations.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:25:56 PM »

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »
I know this was posted a couple of years ago but great find Jim Bob. I have seen other accounts where western garrisons had to supplement civilian garments in lieu of US issue clothing when the supply ran out with no foreseeable new arrivals.

From a clerical perspective, there were two ways they would have done this: The soldier would pay out of his own pocket and be reimbursed later from the company fund. -or- The company commander purchases directly using cash or voucher from the company fund and deduct the issue from the individual soldier's clothing account as the set military rate determined by garment purchased/issued.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com