Author Topic: Movies about time period  (Read 16056 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Movies about time period
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »
Hi,

Due to the time period and location, I am quite fond of 'Zandy's Bride"

Gene Hackman plays a settler in the late 1850s California Coastline ... his weapons and holster are period (no buscaderos or cartridge revolvers).

Liv Ulman answers a lonely hearts ad and becomes his bride sight unseen.

The rest of the movie is a fairly accurate film of two people coming to grips with each other ...

I just watched the movie several times on Encore Westerns; I will stand by what I said ...

TTFN

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 11:59:12 AM »
I'd forgotten about "Zandy's Bride." I remember being impressed with it, a slow movie, but a good one in my opinion. The California location was a plus. I agree about "Jeremiah Johnson" and "The Mountain Men." Several of the members of the AMM Party I used to belong to participated in the rendezvous scene. Two movies I only vaguely recall that might have been from our time frame, and don't hold my feet to the fire if I'm wrong, since it's probably been twenty or maybe even thirty years or more since I've seen either of them. One starred Martin Sheen as an ex-soldier/trapper stealing a white horse from an Indian, then having the horse stolen back from him. I remember being impressed with the gear and firearms. The second starred Christopher Walken, carrying a Patterson revolver (again, if I'm remembering it correctly), leading a party after a huge gold wheel, and members trying to double cross one another. (Just looked them up; Martin Sheen's movie was "Eagle's Wing," and the Walken movie was "Shoot the Sun Down," and yeah, I know Sheen's opinion of guns. The reviews called them revisionist Westerns, but I don't recall the themes.)

I appreciate a movie that makes an effort to get the guns and gear correct, but would rather enjoy a good story than nitpick over the gear, as long as it's not too incorrect or over the top.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 01:00:16 PM »
Think the one named , The Man In The Wilderness was earlier time period, but a great movie. Think it was Richard Harris ,If I remember right it was about the real life of Hugh Glass. Those were tough time's and tougher men,,,,,Dusty

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:40:01 PM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 01:01:19 PM »
I like the Mountain Men as well.  Charlton Heston and Linda Racimo came to the National Western Rondezvous in 1981 to premier the movie.  Their crew set up a big movie screen in a meadow north of La Vita Pass.  As mother nature would have it a pretty good wind came up and blew the screen down.  The next night they showed the movie at the drive in theater down near Walsenburg.  Another memorable event from that Rondezvous:  The A-7's from the COANG at Buckley would come over at tree top level everday about 4 o'clock.  Seems they were using our flagpole for an aiming point on a bombing run.  This went own for about 3 days.  On the 4th day about 3:30 everyone in Camp gathered at the flag pole with our muskets pointed in the air.  They left us alone after that.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline BlackHillsScout

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »
Thanks for naming"Man in the wilderness"I've been trying to remember that for years.

A couple of my friends were in" Bad Blood" they take their accuracy pretty seriously.

OH, and my apologies to you'all on the forum for not checking in for awhile. New job and getting the house done.   

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 12:29:33 AM »
Hi,

I have a copy of Eagle's Wing :it has to stand on its own as a movie where  Sam Waterston (who plays the indian) is kept from speaking the entire movie .... I believe it is the only non-speaking part he ever did ....*S*

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline St8LineLeatherSmith

• The Poly Grip Kids alter ego AKA Pappy Polygrip since I ain't a kid no more
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • grand master of striking one tool against another
    • The St8 Line Leathersmith
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 03:14:50 PM »
Into the west was a mini series that covered pretty much the whole time period from the 1840's to the 1880's
No matter where ya go there ya are
Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)
Brother Artisan Master At Large Of TEH BROTHERHOOD OF TEH SUBLYME  & HOLEY ORDER OF TEH SOOT, (SHOTS)
The St8 Line Leathersmith
ChattownLeatherheads

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com