Author Topic: Has Marlin upped their quality yet?  (Read 18864 times)

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Has Marlin upped their quality yet?
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:33:56 AM »
Howdy all,

I was browsing online when I came across the Marlin 1895CB in .45-70, and I've gotta say, I was infatuated. It's just a good looking rifle, you know? But of course, I figured if it's a recent Marlin then it probably has its issues. So I went looking for reviews, and found one on Gunblast.com from Jan. 2014 (if I recall correctly) where the author said that he had noticed a increase in Marlin quality.

So I just wanted to ask y'all, see if Marlin has been kicking things up a notch or not. This is kind of a moot point, as it'll be a little while before I get another rifle, but I figured I could go ahead and ask.

Thanks!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Pit Mule

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Has Marlin upped their quality yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:44:46 AM »
Marlin was purchased by Remington in 2008 and closed down in 2011. So the article must have been an older one. Reviewers may vary on their opinions of firearms. The 45/70 although not period correct due to the round bolt is a solid shooting rifle and I believe to be very reliable. Although I do prefer the 1895 chambered for the 38/55, more tolerable to shoot and just as fun with great accuracy.

Marlins on the whole have always been a great rifle. There are many, many Marlin rifles being used in Cowboy Action Shooting with no issues.   
fortdesmoinesrangers.com

Fort Des Moines Rangers
Cedar Valley Vigilantes
Zen Shootists
Nebraska Territorial Rangers
Member: The Naughty Posse
SASS #29220 ( Classic Cowboy )
NRA Life
SASS ROII
NRA RSO
Don't underestimate me. I know more than I say, think more than I speak, & notice more than you realize.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »
I don't think Marlin/Remington has started making the 1895 CB.  They are shipping other model 1895s but I have not seen any CBs.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:16:11 AM »

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »
No, it's definitely A recent article. It was actually from July 2014 (http://www.gunblast.com/Marlin-1895CB.htm)

The guns appear to be out there, Buds has them listed with 18-inch barrels, and another site (Hinterland Outfitters) has them listed w/ 26 inch barrels. However, those are currently out of stock but with reviews as recent as this month.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 10:13:51 AM »
The "CB" does not have an 18" barrel.  CBs (Cowboy) have 26" octagon barrels.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 10:16:08 AM »
I have handled one new 1895 CB in 45/70 serval months ago.  It was much better than the 4 shot versions w/ round bbls that I handled several years ago.  It could have been luck of the draw, but it was a smoother action that I recalled from previous years.  I passed on the purchase, as I'm more of a PC and single shot guy on the big bores.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 10:18:03 AM »
Pettifogger,
Marlin is selling an 18" octagonal barrel now.  I handled one last month at a local gunshow.  Whether it is called a CB model or not officially, I've seen it advertized as a CB model.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline DTS

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 11:35:38 AM »
Local Wholesales Sports just got in a new M1895, 22" bl. in .45/70.  They also have a pair of Guide models - too stubby for me.  I looked it over and it " and "felt" OK. I am considering picking it up. I should never have sold my .444 and .45/70 Marlins back in 1998. Doh!

These new guns seem to have another 1/16" of width to the already too-wide forends - maybe that's just an impression.  Slimming up and re-checkering would be a really nice touch! Saw one re-done like that in "Rifle" magazine in the early 2000's I think it was, with the forend matching the action properly for width as well as the butt stock slimmed - then all re-checkered.
DTS

Offline mehavey

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
I also noted the comparatively wider GuideGun forearm.
It only took me a few full-up rounds to realize why that was a good thing.   :o

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 11:00:41 AM »
A couple of months ago I saw several new Marlin CB's in LL Beans in Freeport, ME. They also had several Marlins in 38/357. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 05:37:01 AM »
I received several of the new production Marlin CB 45/70 in my shop. One had the 18 1/2" barrel, the other was a 26". In my humble opinion, Marlin is back.  Wood to metal fit is good.  Cycling is smooth.  Barrel bluing is georgous. One buyer reported back that he had no feeding issues and cycling was smooth with no problems.  It is the Cowboy version, straight walnut stock, tapered octagon barrel, ballard rifling, and priced under $800.

I am going to keep the 26" for myself  ;D since these are a little harder to get.

Marshall John Joseph

Offline smokin6

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 06:45:14 PM »
Got a 336 Y in 30-30 as a running around rifle. Love it & works great.

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 10:45:29 AM »
Got a new 18" .357 last week.  Fit and finish are quite good, action is a little rough but should shoot in even if I don't slick it up a bit.  Accuracy is just like the old Marlins, that is to say, outstanding.  For me, it's a keeper.

Offline Long Knife Rich

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 11:44:46 PM »
 It's good to hear some positive reviews of the new Marlins. Hopefully they've turned things around.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 06:06:13 AM »
Not on point, but may be of some interest

I bought a NOS JP Marlin 1894 , this one in 32/20 and a limited made from 1989-93

On advise from Gunsmith friend on this BB , I replaced the spring with this kit (below) and with a 1 piece  SS firing pin...
The difference is night & day in smoothness...
The spring kit includes the lever detent spring (most kits do not ) this alone is worth getting this kit.
These alone will WOW you..the next two are purely optional ..

Later Guns ( not sure when ) had/have a plastic magazine follower ( mine circa 1990 was steel  ) I replaced mine with the SS follower. I noted mine had a light ring of fine surface rust on the steel follower
 ( 25 years old and never fired, but had sat in it box ) the later plastic piece on the newer gun is either orange or black
these are vulnerable to some cleaning solvents.... worth the swap out..IMHO

and the safety cross bolt    ::)  I don't use the gun for WAS, just a plinker , but I chose to install the replacement blanking screw
dummy ...

The above parts will transform your NIB gun.... thanks Coffin maker  ;)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 07:29:14 AM »
I have to agree with Major 2.  I have two Marlins Cowboys- one in 38-55 and the other in 45-70.  I had the 38-55 professionally tuned, and love it.  For the 45-70 I bought the same $10 spring kit he describes.  It's wasn't quite as slick as the professionally tuned one - but darned close! 

SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline clydeP

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 06:28:08 PM »
I got gifted with a Guide Gun last August.  A Stainless 1895GS.  In 45-70.  It was born in June of 2015 or 14.  Gotta go back and recheck the date code.

Everything was pretty rough on it.  All the edges sharp, a lot of grit in the action and shooting 2 boxes of Hornady LeverEvolutions 325 gr, didn't cycle well at all .

Shot a box of Remington Corelokt 405gr  through it next and they were better but, still not too smooth and the sharp edges on the lever cut the crap outta my hand and stuffing shells through the loading gate, OUCH.  Sharp.

Well, I took the thing clear apart and went at it with some 200 then 400 then 1500 grit cloth, any place that the machining marks were obviously meant to be cleaned up or parts were hanging up on other parts. 

Now, it cycles smoooooth.  Next, I ordered a stainless crossbolt safety delete ($30) and a brass follower ($10) to replace that red plastic. 

On my TDL is getting a Wild West Arms large loop lever ($175 OUCH) and a ejector spring (cheap) .  For, the range and hunting, I am wanting to mount  ghost ring sights. 

This is a kick in the shoulder to shoot.  Love it!

Offline Fightin Creek Slim

• Active citizen
    • Shooters Freehold
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 08:11:55 PM »
I'm hoping that since the takeover by Remington, that Marlin will begin rebuilding stock of replacement parts again soon. I recently aquired a model 1894, in .44 Mag, Not a CAS rifle as this one has the Williams receiver site and was setup as a brush gun for wild hogs.
Anyway the lifter linkage is messed up and I understand that replacement parts are unavailable unless one is willing to pay insanely inflated prices. Seems that Marlin doesn't have the parts in stock and the supply has dried up.

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 06:15:25 PM »
Marlin was purchased by Remington in 2008 and closed down in 2011. So the article must have been an older one. Reviewers may vary on their opinions of firearms. The 45/70 although not period correct due to the round bolt is a solid shooting rifle and I believe to be very reliable. Although I do prefer the 1895 chambered for the 38/55, more tolerable to shoot and just as fun with great accuracy.

Marlins on the whole have always been a great rifle. There are many, many Marlin rifles being used in Cowboy Action Shooting with no issues.   

Marlins Out Of Business.
They are all REMLINS Now ( JUNK )
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 09:42:11 PM »
How many do you have?
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com