Author Topic: insignia for GAF or Mississippi Marine Brigade  (Read 6550 times)

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
insignia for GAF or Mississippi Marine Brigade
« on: February 12, 2006, 01:33:23 PM »
This message is intended primarily for US Scout and others. My email is debick@bellsouth.net. What kind of insignia  do we have for GAF/Mississippi Marine Brigade in metal or cloth? I am working  on a "takeoff" of the blakeslee quickloader box. It is a lot smaller and lighter holding about 40  rounds depending on mix.I have about 30 of them in 2 different sizes. I  am thinking about reserving them  for GAF/Mississippi Marine Brigade if I could  some idea on insignia. This might help recruiting.

I am also having some trouble  sending gun photos to other forums. We finally got them  stored in the computer, but cant seem to send as a detachment Two Flints info was helpful but they still wont go through. 

US Scout , looking for your MMB hat insignia

Best

Cannon Fodder

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: insignia for GAF or Mississippi Marine Brigade
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 03:11:38 PM »
Cannon Fodder-

Sent you some photographs.

For the insignia, I used a modern day naval officer's hat insignia.  I removed the eagle and sheild (which is just scewed on), then replaced it with the "M" from the reproduction USMC enlisted man's cap device (there is a hole where the anchors cross to allow the eagle and shield to be attached). 

There is no decent image or description of the device used by the MMB, though it is generally described as crossed anchors or a crossed anchor and cannon.   

The band is simply a green ribbon edged with the 1/4" gold lace used by modern naval officers for their half-stripe on the sleeve of the service dress blues.

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 08:49:46 AM »
Here is the hat I "created". The photo's a little dark, but it's the only shot I have at this time.  It started off as a 1902 Dress Cap from S & S Firearms ($45.00).  One problem with this hat is that it is covered with a synthetic cloth, not wool.  It has the appearance of gabardine, but it has that "double-knit" texture to it.  Barring a close inspection, it looks okay.  I have added a chinstrap and side buttons since the photo was taken.

I removed the wire stiffener in the crown, and the "horsehair" material from the inside of the crown.  The patent leather brim was removed, and a leather visor from an old kepi was added.  The leather visor from the kepi already had a strip of material sewn to it, so it was fairly easy to stitch this into the cap between the blue material and the sweatband.  This particular cap has two metal ventilation grommets on each side that I do not care for, but there's not much I can do about that.

The green band is 1 1/2" grosgrain ribbon and 3/16" gold braid I got from Hobby Lobby.

The insignia was also obtained from S & S.  It is a "Rhode Island" anchor cap insignia, nicely embroidered in heavy metallic thread on black cloth,  It was originally on an oval-shaped backing, so I trimmed around the anchor leaving an even border (about 1/8") all around.  The cannon insignia is a "false embroidered" cap badge - don't get the "hat" badge, as it is for the Hardee Hat, and much larger.  The metal of the badge is textured to look like metallic embroidery, and is made of shiny brass.  I weathered it with cold blueing solution to get it to match the anchor embroidery, and it brings out some better detail.  The cannons attach with wires.

Overall, I think it came out "just  okay". It's a fairly good representation of what the hat probably looked like, but as US Scout stated, there are no good photos of original hats. For the price (under $70.00 total) I think I did okay for a first attempt, but for more authenticity regarding material and exact style, it may be better to locate a CW naval officer's cap to start with.  It was kind of a fun project, and I may try it again if I find a better hat to work with.  Hope this gives you some good ideas, and good luck with your research.  Keep us posted on what you come up with.
Guns Garrett
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:41:17 PM »

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 12:45:44 PM »
Thanks Guns Garrett and  US  Scout for the hat pictures. I havent figured out how to send pictures yet! If you get a chance , look at the 1839  officer and enlisted  "wheel" hat in " C&D  Jarnagin Co."  - exspanion period-  and give me your opinion. The price is not bad -about $58. Dirty Billys naval officers hats would probably be better( at least  3 appear to be appropriate) but they are not cheap being in the $125-150 range.

best,

cannon fodder

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 08:22:11 PM »
Hi Cannon,

Email me at fsgrand2@pivot.net and explain what the problem is with you posting pictures.  First thing you need to do is register with photobucket.  Doesn't cost anything and then we will go from there. I think it is  http://www.photobucket.com

I'll try to help.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 07:04:50 PM »
Thanks US Scout,Guns Garrett,and Two Flints for pictures and email advice.

OK, I agree,the wheel hats are out!  I guess it is going to be a cw  naval officers hat or maybe a"pilots" hat. Where to look?

best,

cannon fodder

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 04:46:35 PM »
Dirty Billy's is about your best option.  http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/

Unfortunately, he is not cheap and you'll also need to be prepared to wait for awhile.

US Scout
Bvt Col of Marines

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 10:01:26 PM »
More grist for the mill...

Dixie Gunworks has what they describe as a "1839 Forage Cap"  Looks like a Mex War-era Dragoon's cap, made of blue wool and lists for $45.00. They have photos on both their website and in their catalog.  Photo's not quite high-def.,  maybe thru e-mail one could get a better photo.  It does have a "full round top" but appears to have a short curved visor.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 06:53:02 PM »
Thanks US Scout,Guns Garrett, and River City John on the additional info.

I ran into  Dirtybillys Hats two weeks ago  when he was a sutler  at the battle of  aiken(sc) . He seems to think the MMB were  wearing  some type of kepi. I have a lot of respect for the authenticity of his hats. He said he would do more research on this. I have a green kepi from "berdan days" and might try to do something with it. At the sutlers, I picked up a small "false embroidered" single fouled anchor  crossed with a cannon. It is on a blue background. I have never seen this before,but I think it has promise. Give me your opinions.

Best,cannon fodder

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com