Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Pantry

Cream gravy recipe

(1/3) > >>

RoyceP:
This stuff is good to serve with Chicken Fried Steak, or for breakfast with biscuits, or over fried chicken. This recipe makes a lot but you can cut it down to make what you need.

1 pound breakfast sausage
1/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
Season with salt and freshly ground pepper

Cook the sausage crumbled up. Pull the cooked sausage and reserve the grease. Make a roux with the flour and milk in a bowl. Add the roux to the hot grease. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the sausage back to the hot gravy. Enjoy!

RoyceP:
Note that for a meal of 1/2 pound of chicken strips last night I cooked 1/4 pound of sausage with 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1/4 cup of flour. It was plenty of gravy!

Delmonico:
Hint, put your flour in the pan and cook it with the sausage greasend sausage till slightly brown, that is a roux.  It has better flavor and then you can add the milk right to the pan and have less dishes to do. ;)

Advertising:

RoyceP:
I needed less flour and more milk the time I made it. The sausage went on a paper plate when it was done.

Reverend P. Babcock Chase:
Howdy Royce,

Plus one for what Del said. Cooking the flour in the fat can actually brown the flour. The cajuns will do this until the flour and fat becomes a rich brown color. That adds a "nutty" flavor that is found in so many of their dishes. Browning the flour some will up the flavor. Just be sure to keep an eye on the roux, stirring a lot so it doesn't burn (that tastes bad and can't be saved).

Rev. Chase

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version