Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 8500 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie questions
« on: September 03, 2004, 08:36:59 AM »
I'm just getting interested in CAS and have a couple of questions for which I have so far been unable to find answers.

1.  Is there a list of SASS approved guns available somewhere?

I have pretty much decided that my rifle choice will be a Marlin 1894, and my pistol choice a Ruger Vaquero.  I have some knowledge about rifles and pistols since I have owned a couple for many years.  However, shotguns are a complete different matter about which I know very little.  The only info I have been able to gather about approved shotguns is that the Winchester 97 (and clones) is approved and that SxS representative of the time period are approved.  Can anyone identify several shotgun examples that are approved.  For instance; I find very few SxS shotguns in the gun stores near my home, but loads of single barrel pumps and single shots in .12 and .20 gauge.  How do you know if any of these are approved guns.  And what about over/under's.

2.  I have read the SASS Handbook but still have questions about "Side Matches".  Are these matches structured or is there just an agreement between shooters as to what will be shot.  For instance; all my weapons are small-bore (.22 cal), are these allowed in side matches?

Thanks in advance for your help,

John

Big Hext Finnigan

Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 09:13:04 AM »
Welcome to the fire!  Hope you enjoy the game.

There is not an approved list, per se.  Most CAS guns are fine for SASS, but there are exceptions and there are limitations to other organizations, like NCOWS, and you should do everything you can to check out other guns.  You will find most folks are not only willing, but excited to let you try out their guns.

Regarding shotguns, single barrel breakopens are legal, in 20 or above.  The SxS market is pretty flush, with the Baikal (Bounty Hunter) and the Stoeger, also the Stevens 311.  Again, take a while to see what is out there.  Also, buy the shotgun last, it is the easiest gun to loan out.  And keep asking questions here.

There is a structure to the side matches.  22 matches are pretty common, but usually using CAS type guns.

Hope this helps!
Adios,

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 09:23:57 AM »
Marlin 1894 and RV's are good choices. I only shoot Marlin rifles. I own a bunch of Ruger SA pistols.

Examples of approved shotguns: Stoeger SXS, Baikal/EAA SXS, Stevens 311 SXS, etc. The SXS's cannot have ejectors, only extractors. I recently bought a Lefever Nitro Special for a good price. It was made in 1926.
Pump shotguns have to have any exposed hammer like the Win 97 and Marlin 1898, 19, 21, 24 26, 42, etc. You will get different opinions on the Marlin shotgun such as "they are widowmakers" to "they are fine to shoot". You could use a single barrel but it would handicap you. Over/unders are not approved. 

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:57:08 PM »

Silent Joe

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 12:06:27 PM »
Welcome JRDudas,

I have a Colt SAA .45 and a Uberti Levr Action .38 Spec. so I can't help you with your questions.
But anyway welcome in Town.

Silent Joe

Offline doc

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 03:19:41 PM »
Hello Pard. Rugers are good choice. They are indestructable. Any single action over 32 caliber is legal,subject to class restrictions of course. The Stoeger shotguns are a good choice. They are a little rough but functional. I personnaly use a 45 colt. The ammo is expensive so I reload my own. I buy shotgun shells because they are so cheap it isn't worth reloading. I have a Marlin 94 in 357. It is an excellant rifle but needs a frim hand to work the action. 22 magnums are not allowed in side matches.
You're damn right I'll risk it. They're breakin the law.
Vet, Police Officer and Deputy Wildlife Conservation Officer

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 03:58:15 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all for the responses.  So far I have seen only three SxS shotguns in about five different stores that I have checked and two of those were brand new (don't know if they are SASS approved or not).  I'm sure that after I observe a regular shoot I will learn a lot more.  Sounds like the advice to save the shotgun purchase untill last is a good idea.  I have read many times on different forums that shooters are usually eager to lend their weapon to a newbie; I find this quite interesting.  I am also a musician and beyond the short-term "try a couple of songs on this" I am very reluctant to lend my instruments.

Here's another newbie question;  For those who are married with wives that are also involved in the game; how were you able to get your wife interested.  While my wife has never objected to my interest in guns and ownership thereof, however, she has not displayed any interest of her own.  Seems like getting her to participate would be a neat family thing to do.

Thanks in advance,  John

Offline JCD

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 05:59:19 PM »
HELLO, IM NEW TO THE GAME AND NEED SOME HELP, DO I NEED ALL PISTOL, RIFLE AND SHOTGUN, OR CAN I BEGIN PISTOL ONLY, AND HOW MANY PISTOLS FOR TRADITIONAL  DO I NEED, OR CAN I GET BY WITH ONE, I APPRECIATE ANY HELP I CAN GET.  I LIVE ON GULF COAST MISSISSIPPI, AND LOOKING FOR CLOSE MATCHES, THANKS ALOT JOHN DEAN

Offline balaam

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 07:10:32 PM »
    A lot of the wifes started out by keeping the times and helping out
with the scoring. There are several cowgirls that shoot at our matches.
After they see that they can have some fun shooting,they go for it.
                                    Balaam

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 08:19:12 PM »
jrdudas,  Mine just went with me during the first annual I shot at our club. She saw the other ladies shooting and started talking to them. they talked her into doing it..........Buck 8) :o ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 03:54:13 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all for the responses. So far I have seen only three SxS shotguns in about five different stores that I have checked and two of those were brand new (don't know if they are SASS approved or not). I'm sure that after I observe a regular shoot I will learn a lot more. Sounds like the advice to save the shotgun purchase untill last is a good idea. I have read many times on different forums that shooters are usually eager to lend their weapon to a newbie; I find this quite interesting. I am also a musician and beyond the short-term "try a couple of songs on this" I am very reluctant to lend my instruments.

Here's another newbie question; For those who are married with wives that are also involved in the game; how were you able to get your wife interested. While my wife has never objected to my interest in guns and ownership thereof, however, she has not displayed any interest of her own. Seems like getting her to participate would be a neat family thing to do.

Thanks in advance, John

Howdy again,

The loaning of guns is a unique phenomenon of CAS and a point of pride... in fact, I think it's pretty well protected as an instutitional thought.. by that I mean, shame to those who don't abide it.  By all means, take advantage of it!!

There is no tried and true method for getting women involved.  Still, you got a couple of things working for you.  First is that women are welcome.  They are really well treated.  Second, the clothes are great and a lady can get dressed up, enjoy her day and never touch a gun.  Of course, she'll get plenty of encouragement, but as long as she's out there having fun, she's in the game.

Adios,

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 11:53:04 AM »
Howdy JR,
I got my wife interested in CAS with the costumes.  She likes the cute cowgirl look and the dressed up Victorian lady look as well.  Last Christmas, unknow to her, I bought her a pair of psitols, holsters, a gunblet, and a pile of clothes.  The family got a cowgirl fashion show that night, complete with sixguns.  I took her to a new shooters class and a couple of matches so she could get the taste of what went on.  This Saturday, we're going out to our range and practice some mock stages to make her comfortable.  I'm hoping this all leads to her first match in November.

Like Big Hext said, there is no proven way to get the gals out and involved.  Just keep trying!!  It's great to get the family out and involved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com