Author Topic: uberti '73 extracting problem  (Read 8255 times)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
Re: uberti '73 extracting problem
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 12:24:36 PM »
You will have to fit that new extractor in the bolt. Maybe the relief cut in the barrel is not enough and making the extractor ride up and if the extractor is binding or something maybe not moving back down and grab the rim. Might either need to modify the relief cut and make sure the extractor can spring back down freely in the bolt without binding. Maybe a combination of issues.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »
I'm gonna go ++ with Coffinmaker and Cliff on this
1) ya need some clearance so the extractor does NOT ride up at all in the barrel cutout
2) the extractor must be able to move freely in the bolt so it can bear down over the rim - if its at all sticky in the slot in the bolt then it can get hung up when the extractor nose goes over the case rim - and yeah it needs a little tension so ya should have to sqeeeze it down a little when ya put the retainer pin back in - ifn ya didnt do that when ya re assembled maybe ya bulged that pin hole some (or distorted the pin) - added just a little more chaos to the confusion ?

Wid a 44/40 proly wouldnt have all this hassle cuz they got a decent rim on em - rim on a 45colt is real skinny - not much room fer error there! 

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 06:41:22 PM »
greyhawk, yeah i'm sure the pin is buggered. That's why i'm getting another one. It came out hard. think it was staked in. As far as my extractor going into the barrel slot, i'm pretty sure it has always done this even when i 1st got the gun. and the problem seems to have started about 3 months ago. Also the extractor on my 1860 henry goes into the barrel slot too and that works right all the time. Only front of the extractor goes into the barrel cut out. The actual exactor cut out that hooks on to the case rim sits right on the case rim. If it were back more so the extractor didn't go into the barrel cut out then the extractor hook cut out would never be forward enough to reach the case rim. As far as messing the pin hole, hope not, but i won't know until i get that new pin.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:13:03 PM »

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 02:19:40 PM »
Just to follow on my problem. It looks like to fixed. Was at the range today and fired 50 rounds with no jams. It seems that replacing the extractor and the cross pin solved the problem. Something else that may have contributed to the problem was my last batch of bullets that i bought had a lube substance all over the outside of them. every time i would seat a bullet i'd get some on my fingers which would transfer to the case when removed the round from the press. Also i'd put all the rounds into a plastic container where more lube would get on the cases. So i think maybe some rounds would not properly seal in the chamber upon firing due to the lube on the cases. this could have caused the case to put rearward pressure on the bolt and maybe cause the extractor to come off the rim. Just a guess.  Anyway it is working flawlessly now. Thanks for everyones help.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 09:35:54 PM »
oooooooow - oily cases - at least get a rag or a piece of old towell and wipe em down till they feel dry !

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 09:15:10 AM »
oooooooow - oily cases - at least get a rag or a piece of old towell and wipe em down till they feel dry !
Yea instead of just throwing all the loaded rounds in a plastic tube, i've starting using my 50 round boxes so each round are in their slots instead of all grouped together, until i use up the rest of these bullets. I just can't believe how much lube was on these bullets, and i should have paid attention to how much was being transferred to my loaded cases.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com