Author Topic: 20 ga. Trapdoor Replica  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Brian Why

• Purveyor of swell things
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Carolina Cheap Date
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
20 ga. Trapdoor Replica
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:31:20 AM »
Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if y'all know if anyone makes a Model 1881 Trapdoor Forager? It was a Springfield musket converted to 20 gauge rather than 45-70. Since only 1300 were originally made, I'd rather have a replica for playng with.

Thanks
Happy Trails,
Brian Why
SASS #71756, SCORRS, Darksider

"Everybody has their bad luck. I cough when I drink. You come up against sneaky people who get ya to help them commit suicide." - Doc Holliday, Hour Of The Gun

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 20 ga. Trapdoor Replica
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 09:24:48 AM »
In short - no - no reproductions have been made - though there are a lot of fakes out there, since building a Forager's shotgun was a pretty easy thing to do - back when more Civil War parts were available.

The barrels were from .58 Caliber muskets - shortened to 26" and bored to 20 guage, then threaded for the modified Model 1873 receiver.

The breechblock was modified, ejector stud removed, and the stock filled, tapered and shortened.

Add a new brass bead front sight, a trigger bow from a Cadet or Carbine and a forearm screw lug with the screw and washer from the older Sharps Carbine - and 'waa-laa' - a Model 1881 Shotgun was soon on the gun show table - maybe even a 'rare, experimental' one...

In the past, I've owned a couple of 'real' ones - and I've fired them.

Accuracy and pattern-wise - about all you can say is that they're shotguns - but back when they were found at a Frontier Post - game was beyond plentiful and a shotgun could prove most useful, no matter what...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com