Author Topic: Finger Lever Cam 1876 ?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
Finger Lever Cam 1876 ?
« on: December 29, 2020, 12:44:02 PM »
 Has anyone ever had to replace the finger lever cam on their 73 or 76 finger lever ? There seems to be 2 different sizes a .060 & .100 ,, the .060 does not have a " Boss " on top , it is for the " early models ( what is the Boss ??? ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Finger Lever Cam 1876 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 03:48:26 PM »

Several Lustrum ago . . . Yes.  Wabac (Thank you Sherman & the Professor) the "Cam" on Uberti '73s was actually replaceable and retained by a crush pin.  Uberti changed the Finger Lever though, and the "new" type lever has the cam cast integral with the Lever.  If you wear through the Cam, it's replace the lever time.

I retired prior to the popularity of the Miroku and can't comment.

The Uberti and Garbage '76s had a replaceable Cam.  I never had to look at Originals for replacement of the Cam and cannot make an intelligent comment.

HOWEVER:  ALL of the Toggle Link guns are over-sprung.  The lever side springs WILL cause excess wear on the cam.  Those springs should be reduced.  If your going to reduce the springs on Originals, source up some replacement parts FIRST!!

Stay away from People
Stay Safe

PS:  I am also unfamiliar with the "Boss??"  Gotta picture??

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 05:09:53 PM »
Has anyone ever had to replace the finger lever cam on their 73 or 76 finger lever ? There seems to be 2 different sizes a .060 & .100 ,, the .060 does not have a " Boss " on top , it is for the " early models ( what is the Boss ??? ).

Look at his site ,  Call Winchesterbob.com ,,,,, he is the man . ,,,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:39:05 AM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 08:59:25 AM »
 Thank you " gentlemen " , I didn't know if others knew about the cam,, was pretty sure DT,, and Coffin would know.
 Just made a new finger lever for my ( new to me ) Chaparral 76 , in 45-60 , and thought about drilling and installing a cam,, but just made it like it solid ( can drill & replace later ,, years from now ,,, lol ) , and yes Sir Mr. Coffin the springs are " over sprung ",, so I made mine lighter ,, no grinding noise's . Every time I work ( piddle ) on one of these toggle link rifles I am " amazed " just how everything moves another part to make it all work ,, simply " amazing ".

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 09:10:37 AM »
Have never had to replace one of the finger lever cams . The only ones I have dealings with were originals . I have never noticed wear on the cam, maybe it was worn and I just didn't notice it . I have seen on at least three different originals  a great deal of wear on the 90 * arm part of the lever spring . It appears in those cases the cam was harder than the bearing surface of the spring . Read somewhere of someone replacing the cam on a 76 and remember it was pinned in . The meaning of Boss used in description of the cam ? Happy New Yr.   ,,,,,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com