Author Topic: uniform questions  (Read 72341 times)

1961MJS

Re: uniform questions
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2014, 03:28:26 PM »
Hi

I ordered:

Plains Indian Knife Sheaths: Materials, Design & Construction
Kozlov, Alex

from Amazon.com.  I hope to get a bit of a clue what style sheath to build from it.  I didn't find anything but Issue stuff in the Cavalry books, and no mention in either Seiber or Kelley's biographies.

Thanks

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2018, 01:32:14 PM »
Hi

I have an 1874 Cavalry Sharps in .45-70 and a .30-40 Krag Carbine.  I'm currently working up loads for the Krag.  i HAD a load for the Sharps but its in IMR-30331.  No sense in competing with bolt guns if I don't have to.  I have a decent post Civil War fatigue uniform. I also have most of the 1884 fatigue uniform, but not enough to go out in public yet (no pants).  I have the shirt, leggings, hat, cartridge belt, and shoes, but no pants or coat yet.   I have decent eating utensils for both setups and even a canteen for each.  

My current questions concerns my lack of anything to kill the bayonet dummy with.  I spent quite a bit of time over the past years putting handles on store bought blades and making sheaths for them.  I did that back at my parent's and have since sold their house.  Obviously the bayonet dummy can't be allowed to live.  I did a tittle searching and found a website called the Kult of Athena and they sell knives you dirty old men.  They have a decent 1860 Light Cavalry blade, a Rifleman's knife circa 1849, and a D-Guard Bowie knife that all look decently made.  

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=500618&name=1860+Light+Cavalry+Union+Saber

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH3170&name=A22+Rifleman%27s+Knife

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=400928&name=D%2DGuard+Bowie+Knife

I'm leaning on carrying "Dad's" Old Rifleman's knife or the D-Guard Bowie that I picked up during the March to the Sea primarily because even though D''artagnan was about the coolest guy ever, the sword is dang near 4 foot long and the sword belt is another $100 to $250 depending on how good I go.  No one makes the 1907 Bolo anymore, just the WW1 version dang it.  I rally hate to blow $300 plus just for one dummy, do I REALLY need the sword?  Heck I could get both the knives just for the Sword price.

COMMENTS

Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2018, 05:14:28 PM »
Post war, most sabres were left in the depot, and most cavalrymen carried a knife of some sort.  This resulted in a number of official knife projects during the 1880s.  I really like the Rifleman's Knife myself.

Most of us who do have swords wear them with the dress uniform.  I keep a knife on my belt for bayonet dummies when using my carbines in skirmish runs.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #163 on: Today at 07:56:29 AM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2018, 10:54:27 PM »
Thanks Drydock

For now, I ordered the Rifleman's Knife.  Since we're doing the Philippine Insurrection this year, someone might want one of these Barongs. 

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=TFW030&name=Moro+Barong+

They have a picture of one in the Osprey "The Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection" by Alexandro Quesada.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2018, 09:58:44 PM »
Hi

I received a nice BIG package from Palantine Illinois today containing an 1849 Ames Rifleman's Knife and an 1880 Hunting Knife / 1892 Entrenchment Knife (depends on what year it was made).  These are from Windlass and are sort of poorly made, but I paid under $100 total and most other places charge substantially more for these two.  Poorly made sounds like I'm not happy.  These are built like a titanium outhouse.  Heavy as hell and built to last, but these are NOT custom show knives.  They are both HUGE by the way.  Neither are sharpened, but a few months of working with the Lanzky Sharpener should work that out.  The Ames Dagger is 13 inches long instead of the 12 inches it's supposed to be.

Later

Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2018, 10:49:25 PM »
Hi

Here are some pictures of what is labeled as an Entrenching Knife by the Kult of Athena (Windlass).  This is a stoutly built knife and will be useful, but is not too correct.  The 8.5 inch blade is 11 inches and I'm sure the grip is too long also.  Its heavy and thick.  I plan on sharpening it with more of a chopping angle on the edge.  Only one side of the blade can be sharpened.  That's not what it looked like in the pictures though.  I'll work on my own sheath and see what I end up with.

Later

Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2018, 07:35:06 PM »
Having a long barreled Krag with bayonet lug I don't need a knife as I have the bayonet for the Krag, works well on 03 springfield and M-1 Garrand as well.  The 16 inch bayonet for the 03 vs the 10 for the Krag was to give equal reach given the shorter barrel of the 03.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com