Author Topic: Colt 1851 Navy Sq Back  (Read 20769 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Colt 1851 Navy Sq Back
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 07:17:24 AM »
BI is ...1997

The gun is a Pietta at least that is what Burney said when he was selling it
The PN is a proof mark

in originals the first sm. rounded TG began @ serial # 4200-85000 and the larger round TG in the 4th model range 85000-215348.

Wadd back when, you were gearing up the Docent job you were looking for the earliest 51 to find it's way to Calif.
I sent you the attachment showing the 1852 shipment, That would have been the sq. backs.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »
Major 2

Wow, what a memory! I am lucky to remember what I had for breakfast .... LOL

So, to summarize, it looks like I have a 1997 Pietta Colt reproduction ... and the serial # tells me that I have a small rounded trigger guard ...

I am really awaiting the arrival of that new square back trigger guard ... I hope it fits ... if so, it is off to the jewelers for plating along with the backstrap ....

And back to the orignial subject of this thread .... with my appologies for derailing it for a bit ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline rep1954

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 08:39:09 AM »
No appologies needed it's all been very interesting. :)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:31:42 PM »

Offline rep1954

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 04:10:42 PM »
Yeah I know it looks just like any other series "C" but I just couldnt help showing it off.

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »
Major 2
I am really awaiting the arrival of that new square back trigger guard ... I hope it fits ... if so, it is off to the jewelers for plating along with the backstrap ....

Wadd, it was mailed this afternoon.  You should see it about Tuesday.

And to add more fuel to the fire, Weren't the ASMs that EMF sold in the 90s marked 'Hartford Conn. Model' ?
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Wadd, it was mailed this afternoon.  You should see it about Tuesday.

And to add more fuel to the fire, Weren't the ASMs that EMF sold in the 90s marked 'Hartford Conn. Model' ?

The 2 EMF ASM's that I have are marked HARTFORD CT MODEL.
Both are .44 "Navies" with rebated cylinders and roll engraved naval scenes.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 09:54:05 AM »
So, to summarize, it looks like I have a 1997 Pietta Colt reproduction ... and the serial # tells me that I have a small rounded trigger guard ...

based on that evidence , It must be an ASM ( I suppose Berrnie Malloy was mistaken that it was a Pietta , or my memory of it is )

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 04:02:18 PM »
I have an unfired second generation 1851 Navy, serno 226XX that has the square back trigger guard on it. This firearm was shipped to California, though the date of shipment is unknown.

Is there somewhere I can run the serno that will tell me the date this 1851 Navy was manufactured?

Thank you,

Bill

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 04:07:24 PM »
Stillwater,

My info states 226XX would have been made in late 1976.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 05:23:04 PM »
Thank you very much sir... I appreciate it...!

Bill

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »
Stillwater,

My info states 226XX would have been made in late 1976.

Yep.

FM
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
And the Saga Continues ...

Fingers, I came home and found your package on the doorstep ...

I took the gun apart only to find that the grip forward edge was about 1/4 behind the 'front strap' part of the trigger guard, and there was about 1/4" gap between the 'front strap' part of the trigger guard and the rear mating part of the back strap ....

So much for the easy' quickchange of the TG ... so I think if I really need this, I am faced with permanently changing the curved trigger guard by having a gunsmith rework the existing strap to a square back (thank God it is brass) and then using the silverplating to hide the evidence .... but I think I am talking big money here ...

Any suggestions

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »
Addendum ....

Could I have an 1860 Colt repro?

I am told that the 1860 Colt has a bit bigger grip, which would  answer a lot of things ...

What do y'all think?

NCOWS #3403

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »
And the Saga Continues ...

I took the gun apart only to find that the grip forward edge was about 1/4 behind the 'front strap' part of the trigger guard, and there was about 1/4" gap between the 'front strap' part of the trigger guard and the rear mating part of the back strap ....

Any suggestions

No, it's not an 1860.  Unfortunately, what you have is not a Pietta; but, in reality is an Armi San Marco.  If you are set on putting a square back trigger guard on it, your best bet would be to pick up a brass framed ASM parts gun.  That way, you'll not only get the square backed triggerguard; but, you'll have spare internal parts to keep this pistol going.  Another option would be to sell this gun and buy a Uberti with the square backed triggerguard.

Sorry pard.  

You can send the TG back.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 11:30:55 PM »
Trying to find parts guns, parts, finding out the parts don't fit and then doing custom work can get expensive fast.  You would probably just be better off buying a 51 with a square back trigger guard.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 12:21:44 AM »
Pettifogger,

Too True ... but I am going on vacation in two weeks and all my money is tied up until I get back ... so I will have alot of time to sort it out ...

Pro:

I like the ASM
It is extremely smooth and reliable.

I REALLY like the .44 cal rather than the .36 cal

In no way does it say that it its a reproduction (as modern ones do)

Con;

God knows how much to change the trigger guard to a square back ... I am fairly sure that, being brass, the trigger guard could be hanged to a squareback ... 'though at what costHeaven only knows.

I know a  jweler who wants to take it on says $70-$80 dollars to silverplate it ... I think he could even do the brass change to squareback ....

But I have a vacation that is gonna take all my money in two weeks ...

I think I will just put it in the Big Guys hand and not worry about it.

NCOWS #3403

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 09:17:49 AM »
I picked up a '51 Navy Squareback that was sold by Lyman back in the early '80s along with a '60 Army. Both have silver-plated TG and BS. Hard finding cylinders that fit properly. On the other hand, both are extremely accurate, even after all these years.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2010, 10:00:55 AM »
Drayton,

In reality, this gun is for reenactment only and will never have any more of a 'projectile' than floral foam plastic used for wadding ...

Fingers,

I am sending your trigger guard back to you this AM as soon as the post office wakes up her on the Left Coast.

Everyone:

I have taken the other trigger guard (That fits everywhere except the trigger guard; it is about 1/4" too narrow) to the said jewelers  ... the are going to make the trigger gurard 1/4 " higher by cutting the guard and adding 1/4" of material to the vertical edges ... then I will take in the back strap and have both the pieces silver plated .... again, this is just vanity on my part ... I have never been asked about it, but I know  ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »
I'm proud to know you... well virtually anyway  ;)

I recall when this saga started...
when you starting out toward your Docent Position you were considering using your Ruger Old Army ...
Several including myself, urged you to get the 51 Navy ( even to the point of forwarding, Bernie had one for sale, the very one you have )

And now ...your going all out to make it as PC as possible at least in profile... you're my kind of Living Historian  ;)
I have followed your venture with interest

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »
Major 2,

Thank you first for all your support, but you are gonna have me doin' a Wallace Beery ... you know, when he draws circles in the dirt with his to toe, and blushes all  way down with that boozy big nose, and says, 'Why shucks, t'weren't nuthin' ...'

It has been a long road to get this far, but the real fun was meeting people like you who gave me direction and great advice ... by the way, that Colt is SO smooth it is like an EMF weapon ( I mean, like buttah! ... it would be really nice to race the history of the pistol ...

And BTW # 2; that trigger guard is the one you sent me (the one that is in the jewelers) ... so I will send you a PM with pics of the gun when it is done ....

And so far, it has just been a financial stressor to get every thing togehther ... when I become conversational in Spanish,  I will feel successful ...*S*

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com