Author Topic: Bat Masterson’s headgear  (Read 1557 times)

Offline BrushyCreekDouglas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
Bat Masterson’s headgear
« on: October 23, 2022, 11:32:56 AM »
Gents,

One of my favorite of the “well known” figures from the old west was Bat Masterson. I’m working on some Instagram articles discussing his early days as a hunter and peace officer in Dodge City and want to obtain a proper bowler hat for photos. In all of your collective experience, what should I look for and would any of you have a spare or old one you wouldn’t mind parting with? I have noticed that the bowlers of his era seemed to have much taller crowns then those of more recent years. Also any insights into his clothing in general would be much appreciated.

I’m quite uneducated on the topic of 19th century bowlers and would love to learn more about them. Thank you all and God bless,

Ethan

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bat Masterson’s headgear
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 02:00:44 PM »
Try going to your search engine and type in 'Bowler Hat' and you'll be amazed at the wealth of information you'll find.

Also - look at the Time Life series 'The Old West' and look at the one titled 'The Townsmen'.

Following that - go to your Public Library and look for a reprint turn-of-the-century 'Sears Roebuck & Co' or 'Montgomery Ward & Co' catalog.

While you're there - look over the Men's Costuming books

You'll figure it out.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 02:04:14 PM »
Try going to your search engine and type in 'Bowler Hat' and you'll be amazed at the wealth of information you'll find.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Yes sir, have been doing a bit online was just curious what folks on here with interests in the same figure, location and time period may have found in their own research. A google search is nearly an information overload.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:10:01 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 08:29:43 AM »

:)  PLUS ONE for St. George   ;)  Learning can be a wonderful thing  8)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 11:36:34 AM »
From researching my own Living History days in the last Century (20th not the 19th) I can tell you the coats you see Masterson portrayed in, in the pictures you posted, were called Town Coats.  They buttoned higher in the front that modern suit coats or sport coats.  Full 'Town Suits' were popular for business attire.  They featured matching trousers, vests, and coats - the 19th Century version of today's three-piece suit.

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 08:43:35 AM »

:)  I GIVE UP  ;)

On my Confuser, This topic/thread titles "Mat Masterson's Head."   :o

Therefore, I have been sorely tempted to enquire, is his Head mounted on a Pike??  Or in a Ball, alla Haunted Manson??  Or just a center piece for the Dining Room Table??  I just couldn't resist any longer   ::)

People are Still Hazardous to Yer Health.  Avoidance

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 09:51:25 AM »
I'm not sure if he wore that get up on a daily basis or just for the photo shoot. (no pun intended:))

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 09:59:20 AM »
I'm not sure if he wore that get up on a daily basis or just for the photo shoot. (no pun intended:))

That is an interesting thought. There are several descriptions of his appearance from other folks and they differ pretty significantly from what he wears in the photos. Weather those descriptions are accurate or not is up for grabs.

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 10:34:28 AM »
I think that holds true on a lot of the old time photos.  Is that actually what the people wore or are they props of a photographer, etc.  There are photos of folks in "trail" clothes but wouldn't the trail clothes be all beat up?

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 07:35:33 AM »
I think that holds true on a lot of the old time photos.  Is that actually what the people wore or are they props of a photographer, etc.  There are photos of folks in "trail" clothes but wouldn't the trail clothes be all beat up?

I think just like today, some people dressed nicer than others. Even in work/trail clothes you would have different levels of wear. Some nicer, some more worn out. All depending on who and when they replaced the clothes relative to when the photo was taken.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com